Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hotshoe Tripod Camera Mounts

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

And I'm making history here I think, 3rd post in this subforum in a row

Quick question; Is there a device that mounts a flashgun into a hotshoe thingy that can then easily be used on a preexisting tripod, preferably working with the Arcaswiss mounts?

I received my Metz 44 this week and have been trying out the Master>Slave thing with my 540II flashgun this week, but currently I don't have anything other than the small plastic disc plate base that came with the 540II to place the Metz 44 into. Would be nice to get some height onto the slave flash

I've had a quick google but honestly all the results look weird and confusing...

TIA!

Bruce

11-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Something like this wilt a PC to hotshoe trigger system?
Nisha Hot Shoe/Tripod Mount HTS-T B&H Photo Video

Or something like this with a coldshoe
4 PCS Hot Shoe Flash to Bracket/Stand Mount Adapter Trigger with ¼" Tripod Screw | eBay

Else something like this with a sensor based trigger
amazon.com : Optical Flash Slave Trigger Hot Shoe Sync Adapter With PC Socket & Sensor For Canon JSYK-3A JJC : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

There's a few options depending on how you plan to trigger it - if you are just using the flash's sensor and just need a way to hold the flash still then you can probably find something well under a dollar.
11-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
And I'm making history here I think, 3rd post in this subforum in a row

Quick question; Is there a device that mounts a flashgun into a hotshoe thingy that can then easily be used on a preexisting tripod, preferably working with the Arcaswiss mounts?

I received my Metz 44 this week and have been trying out the Master>Slave thing with my 540II flashgun this week, but currently I don't have anything other than the small plastic disc plate base that came with the 540II to place the Metz 44 into. Would be nice to get some height onto the slave flash

I've had a quick google but honestly all the results look weird and confusing...

TIA!

Bruce
I have and like this one:

Phottix US-A3 Umbrella Swivel for Off-Camera Flash PH87208 B&H

Very versatile in that adapts to umbrella and Tripod.
11-18-2017, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Bracket-Speedlite-Reflector-Umbrella/dp/B00J...A30AIITTLA5T15

The flashgun is held in the clamp, not by the hotshoe. The holder has a Bowens type socket for attaching light dishes. Softboxes such at the foldaway Cactus type can be fitted also, and it has a socket for an umbrella. Very useful.

11-18-2017, 03:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Bracket-Speedlite-Reflector-Umbrella/dp/B00J...A30AIITTLA5T15

The flashgun is held in the clamp, not by the hotshoe. The holder has a Bowens type socket for attaching light dishes. Softboxes such at the foldaway Cactus type can be fitted also, and it has a socket for an umbrella. Very useful.
Looks good, how does it 'dock' with a tripod but? Like.. I have a spare arcaswiss tripod, I could screw the top part off so it shows just the screw hole, does it screw into that part?
11-18-2017, 04:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That's a fitting for a lighting stand
11-18-2017, 05:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
That's a fitting for a lighting stand
Ah yes apologies. This will fit on a normal "spigot" that comes with a lightstand. You would need to find an adapter to use it with a tripod, or simply buy a lightstand.

Last edited by pschlute; 11-18-2017 at 05:43 AM.
11-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have had some small B&S 'heads', that fit to a normal tripod with a metal 'cold shoe' for the gun, from my local dealer. Nothing fancy like a brolly clamp, but cheap. I just covered the bare metal surface with insulating tape.
11-18-2017, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Flash Cold Hot Shoe Bracket Mount Adapter 1/4" Screw for Studio Speedight Tripod | eBay
A million varieties on ebay @ a million prices and qualities.
I have set ups with a variety of cold & hot shoes on a 10" & 6" rail systems I put together from eBay for a reasonable price and good quality. I have single ones that I can screw into quick releases on any of my Pods (1/4").

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-20-2017 at 04:32 PM.
11-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and all the other usual outlets have literally hundreds of options for mounting off-camera flash on regular tripods, lighting stands, and in combination with other thingies.

Remember to take care that the power contact on the bottom of the flash does not contact the cold shoe or other mount thingie you might choose. Doing such may kill the flash and not all are designed to avoid such.

Steve
11-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and all the other usual outlets have literally hundreds of options for mounting off-camera flash on regular tripods, lighting stands, and in combination with other thingies.

Remember to take care that the power contact on the bottom of the flash does not contact the cold shoe or other mount thingie you might choose. Doing such may kill the flash and not all are designed to avoid such.

Steve

Yeh it's the hundreds of thingies that confuse me, and I had no idea what to go for. Ideally I was thinking my Arcaswiss attachment stayed on the tripod, and that the thing that the flash could dock into could then be slapped into the arca swiss gripper/clamp thing, that was the idea, then I don't need to unscrew the ballhead arca thing from the tripods I use.

But I couldn't find something that docked into this, and all my current small arca plates are on camera equipment, so do I find a cheap arca plate first and then something that screws onto that (cold shoe?) and then the flash can slide into that? I have a Fong diffuser so I'm not (at this time) looking for more than this. Do you get cold shoes that have rubber finishes or something, or is it advisable to tape over it?

Currently I have claimed a new tripod, and am tripod shopping at the moment, I'm looking for a cheap and light ballhead acra swiss joint, but I also discovered my forgotten Jobypod thing, it would actually suit a flash to be attached to it, could then even use the flash in a tree etc, I need to find a way to get the flash onto it tho;
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
11-21-2017, 01:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you hunt out a cheap arca replacement and use the stuff I mentioned earlier then it'll work.

I'm not aware of a specific arca swiss cold shoe mount - if there is such a thing it's probably expensive, it's super easy to combine two bits to make one for cheap.

Same question here;
Arca-Swiss Cold Shoe ? | Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds User Group
11-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm even confused over the hot and cold shoe stuff. Hot i guess means it can carry some kind of signal? Cold meaning it doesn't, but then cold ones look metal and as some others have pointed out that sliding the flashgun into that kinda shoe might damage the flash! Honestly, I just want a cheap and cheerful part (or parts that can be stacked together) so that I can use a flash wirelessly triggered by the master flash but instead of in that plastic base pictured instead mounted on a tripod or Joby so that I can better aim the flash gun...

I don't even understand these, how they work at all, how a flash connects to one without falling out, how this connects to something else lol... 4 PCS Hot Shoe Flash to Bracket/Stand Mount Adapter Trigger with ¼" Tripod Screw | eBay

Sorry for being a thicko!
11-21-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm even confused over the hot and cold shoe stuff.
A hot shoe has two electrical contacts (center of shoe and the shoe rail) for flash sync.

A cold shoe has no electrical connections. On-camera sync with a cold shoe must be done using a cable, usually with a so-called PC connection. Off-camera sync may be done with cable, radio, or optical trigger.

Flash units that support a hot shoe have a pointy contact at the center of the foot that carries a trigger voltage when the flash is turned on and current when the sync circuit is closed. Dedicated flash have two or more contacts on the foot bottom with which to "talk" to the camera.

Some flash units support both hot shoe and cabled sync. Other flash support only one or the other. Care should be taken that a cold shoe not short out that pointy center contact on the flash foot. Some flash will disable the hot shoe circuit if configured for cable, radio, or optical sync; others will not with the risk of damage to the flash and/or rapid battery depletion.* The risk may be mitigated by inserting insulation between the shoe and flash foot or by a design having a "well" for the contact.

Steve

* There are many cold shoe vs. flash scenarios. Unless one has tested the flash to make sure the foot is not energized, it is best to assume it is. FWIW, most vintage cameras have "cold" accessory shoes and may not be safe with current product flash or triggers.
11-21-2017, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm even confused over the hot and cold shoe stuff. Hot i guess means it can carry some kind of signal? Cold meaning it doesn't, but then cold ones look metal and as some others have pointed out that sliding the flashgun into that kinda shoe might damage the flash! Honestly, I just want a cheap and cheerful part (or parts that can be stacked together) so that I can use a flash wirelessly triggered by the master flash but instead of in that plastic base pictured instead mounted on a tripod or Joby so that I can better aim the flash gun...

I don't even understand these, how they work at all, how a flash connects to one without falling out, how this connects to something else lol... 4 PCS Hot Shoe Flash to Bracket/Stand Mount Adapter Trigger with ¼" Tripod Screw | eBay

Sorry for being a thicko!
I use one of those. It has 1/4-20 threads cut to it allowing it to be used with any 1/4-20 accommodating mounting system like tripod QR plates or like here, a 1" ball RAM mount. The possibilities are endless.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-21-2017 at 05:08 PM.