Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 03:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smallest & Lightest Arca Swiss Compatible Ball Head

Just as the title suggests, I'm after the smallest and lightest arca swiss compatible ball and head fixture. The cheaper the better also, the two I have found are;

Joby Ballhead X (Black) JB00157 B&H Photo Video (I think weighs 262g)

and

Barska AF12544 Aluminum Ball Head AF12544 B&H Photo Video (317g)

Anyone know of any others?

Cheers,

Bruce

11-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Novoflex ball 19
92g, tiny but not as sturdy as you maybe want. I use it on my monopod. You can combine it with a arca swiss plate holder of your choice.

or the Novoflex ball 19p
if you want to the rotate functionality too.
11-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am using Beike BT-03 Gradienter when I do not need my other tripod head (Manfroto 808RC4) and got also the the macro slider plate (LP-02) with it to balance heavier camera/lens combinations for emergencies. If I know that I will use heavy lenses than I use my 808RC4 head which can handle those with ease.
11-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

like pid said, really. If you want really small and light but also want arca swiss, you'll need to get a tiny only-good-for-a-monopod (or maybe a tiny point & shoot) head like the ones he linked (tons of cheap ones on amazon) and screw an arca-swiss plate on.

Personally I'm a big fan of Sirui's stuff, because the little safety button is so much more convenient than a screw (and so much safer than not having anything there). Here's their arca quick release plate that could screw on to one of those: amazon.com : Sirui MP-20 Quick Release Platform & Plate (Arca Compatible) : Other Products : Everything Else?tag=pentaxforums-20& (about 78 grams assuming the 2.75 ounce figure is correct).

I used to use that semi permanently attached to my black rapid strap (with thread lock) with an L bracket on the camera body. Never tried it on a ball head - the few times I've used one of those tiny ones on my monopod I screwed it straight into the camera, but usually I just switch the bullhead off my tripod if I need to use the monopod

11-21-2017, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with narual that Sirui ball heads and A-S clamps are particularly good, especially considering their very low price. If you want small & light, the Sirui C-10S comes with an A-S clamp and plate, has separate ball-lock and rotate (panoramic) lock, weighs 0.5lb (200g), and is rated for a 28.7lb load - - cost = $70. And my experience with other larger Sirui heads: they really are very strong for their size and price.
11-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't know you could buy that separately... thought it only came with the 025/025x travel tripods.

I have the K20x bullhead, and it's absolute overkill for even a K3 with battery grip and 60-250 lens (fits great on the sirui 1205x tripod, though I suspect the C10 would let me close the legs completely and fit better in the travel case)
11-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have one of the "20" series ball heads, absolutely my favorite of (too) many ball heads in my collection. Exceptionally smooth and gradual lock of the ball. I also have a really big Sirui ball head, Cannot remember the designation, but it's rated for about an 80lb load. For use with my big lenses (as you could not guess). It looks out-of-place under my Panasonic LF1.
11-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great, thanks for the extra feedback and choices