Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 04:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Video Panning Tripod Head + L Plate Question.

So... I recently received a B&H order that I put in awhile ago, I jumped on a Velbon FHD-61QN for a very low price, I think something like $50 at the time (it was in one of their sales, reduced by I think $150+), and I needed a video panning style head for my KP. A couple of reviews said it was decent so I grabbed it.

Having never used one of these heads before, I was a little perplexed by the layout of the plate and head direction for attaching the camera, I have come to the conclusion that these style heads/plate layout are intended for a proper video camera type thing and not a dslr camera. I say this because if you imagine the plate pictured in the link running along the bottom of the dslr (and then once docked to the head), then the handle won't pan the camera up and down but rather tilt it left and right on the X axis? This is fine if you want to get things level and horizontal I guess, but you have to swivel the camera around on the plate (so that some of the plate sticks out behind the lcd and lens) to make it pan up and down, and if you want to disregard that plate that comes with the head and instead use a L plate you kinda run into this issue seen below (luckily the KP screen tilts up a bit).

I just wondered if this was correct, that perhaps this style head was intended for specific dedicated camera equipment that follow a form that better matches the plate?

Unless I haven't found an additional means of moving the head and it actually can tilt forward and back? I think it just pans left and right and up and down, so you have to decide before filming which direction matters more, panning up and down or tilting on the X axis (like to adjust whether you want to be horizontal or not etc).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
11-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure about tilting but I have some square area plates I would use in that situation. They would mount in that situation either along the axis or across it.

Alternatively you could add something like this to level the camera on top of the head.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Leveling-Cameras-Tripods-Monopods/dp/B00MVNBTD...ntaxforums-20&
11-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wimberley Module 8 M-8 Perpendicular Plate M-8 B&H Photo Video would be an expensive solution, but would work

Another option would be a macro focusing rail (the 4 way kind that lets you go side to side as well as front & back).

And another option would to pick up a quick release base thats compatible with your L bracket and screw it onto the plate that came with the tripod head.

Personally, I'd return the head and get something else that's intended for a DSLR.
11-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This is my set up. I use this with Tamron 28-75mm. I did not buy any of this for video. I had these and just using it for video. Key point is 'ball head' should be controllable using a single knob. Second thing is, when panning apply pressure on the far end of railing, this gives a smooth movement .

Attached Images