Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I want it to store my K3 and my lenses
Be careful about storing equipment in a case. It can provide a great environment for growing molds and fungus. Best is to be in as dry a place as possible with some air flow. If you've got a large enough strong box or something like that, you could put the gear in it with something like a Goldenrod dehumidifier (at Amazon) - they are marketed towards gun safes, but I don't see why you couldn't use it in any small space. I've got one, and I live in a pretty humid area overlooking a river, and the Goldenrod in a safe has been my best solution for storage. A small metal cabinet could work. I know this is off in a totally different direction, but if home storage was the objective, I'd go for a cabinet arrangement of some sort.

For the purpose of being able to grab a massive quantity of gear and head off on a trek, the 75 fits the bill. If you want to go do a day hike and fill it up, it's probably too much, but to get to location, it's great.

11-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The Ruggard 75 looks like it might be my next bag! Thanks for the link.
I like the ruggards, particularly the harness. My pointof concern is the tripod mount. It seems that the fasteners only reach to about 50% of the height, so I am worried it might fall out.
11-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Be careful about storing equipment in a case. It can provide a great environment for growing molds and fungus. Best is to be in as dry a place as possible with some air flow. If you've got a large enough strong box or something like that, you could put the gear in it with something like a Goldenrod dehumidifier (at Amazon) - they are marketed towards gun safes, but I don't see why you couldn't use it in any small space. I've got one, and I live in a pretty humid area overlooking a river, and the Goldenrod in a safe has been my best solution for storage. A small metal cabinet could work. I know this is off in a totally different direction, but if home storage was the objective, I'd go for a cabinet arrangement of some sort.

For the purpose of being able to grab a massive quantity of gear and head off on a trek, the 75 fits the bill. If you want to go do a day hike and fill it up, it's probably too much, but to get to location, it's great.
There is not a humidity problem where I am, rather very dry air. Also I always have the case with the lid wide open, to grab lenses quickly; so plenty of air circulates. In the 65+ years of photography, I've yet to have a mold/fungus problem, where I live.
11-26-2017, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is not a humidity problem where I am, rather very dry air. Also I always have the case with the lid wide open, to grab lenses quickly; so plenty of air circulates. In the 65+ years of photography, I've yet to have a mold/fungus problem, where I live.
Sounds like you're all set then! We can sit at 90% + humidity in the summer time. Perfect breeding grounds. I think you'll like the 75 for what you are describing. Enjoy!

11-26-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI

this is my Lowepro flipside 400 AW loaded with

K 5 II + battery grip + SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS

K 3 + battery grip + HD Pentax-D FA 4.5 - 5.6 150-450mm ED DC AW

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

HD Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 16 - 85 mm wr

SMC Pentax-D FA 2.8 100 mm macro

Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA

HD Pentax -DA af rear converter 1.4 AW

as you can see, a very tight fit

I am considering moving up to the 500 AW II, hope it goes on sale for cyber monday
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 
11-28-2017, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

If you want a "cheap" good backpack, then you have to go for secondhand. Cheap and good and new, it is possible, but difficult to find.

I have a clik elite Escape for when I go out with long lenses. It is not a cheap bag, but they have now an 50% discount until sunday I think Backpacks Archives - Adventure Photography Camera Bags by Clik Elite so the bag will be a lot cheaper.
And the pro for me is, you only have to open the top to get the camera with long lens out.
11-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I tried for years to find a good, cheap...or even expensive backpack. I was unsuccessful. The inherent design and opening style, never worked for me.

11-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Struggling to find a cheap, good large backpack
Why struggle... live with two out of three, just buy an expensive one.
11-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I found a large Sumo backpack for 30.00 at KEH. It showed no wear but did not have the rain cover. Zippers are tight but a little bar soap helped that.
12-01-2017, 02:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Why struggle... live with two out of three, just buy an expensive one.
oh but that's too easy! I can just walk into the store and pick up a tamrac anvil 17. There's no fun in that. I need to get a BGN grade of a previous year's model on keh with 20% sale. Preferably on a card with cashback.

---------- Post added 12-01-17 at 03:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I found a large Sumo backpack for 30.00 at KEH. It showed no wear but did not have the rain cover. Zippers are tight but a little bar soap helped that.
Thanks. How did they grade it? Do you think their conservative rating for lenses holds up for accessories?

---------- Post added 12-01-17 at 03:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I tried for years to find a good, cheap...or even expensive backpack. I was unsuccessful. The inherent design and opening style, never worked for me.
What did you end up getting? There is always the cotton carrier.
ref.

---------- Post added 12-01-17 at 03:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
If you want a "cheap" good backpack, then you have to go for secondhand. Cheap and good and new, it is possible, but difficult to find.

I have a clik elite Escape for when I go out with long lenses. It is not a cheap bag, but they have now an 50% discount until sunday I think Backpacks Archives - Adventure Photography Camera Bags by Clik Elite so the bag will be a lot cheaper.
And the pro for me is, you only have to open the top to get the camera with long lens out.
The padding looks pretty good on the escape 2.0. With 50% discount that's actually very reasonable for this kind of backpack. is there a code for 50% off or did I miss the sale?
12-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
[/COLOR]

What did you end up getting? There is always the cotton carrier.
ref. The Best & Worst Ways To Carry Your Camera (Bags, Straps & Holsters) - YouTube[COLOR="Silver"]
I ended up getting a non backpack. I got a Domke F2 Original. It's great. It also has a non slip shoulder belt. It's very well made. It is a traditional bag. I liked it so much that I bought another Domke F2 for my K-1. I have a green one for my K-1, a black one for my K-5. I like the colour coding when I'm in a hurry . Old guys can have busy lives too, you know.

Domke F-2 Original Shoulder Bag (Olive Drab) 700-02D B&H Photo

I just noticed this in the B+H F2 product description.

"O-rings on back of bag for attaching optional backpack strap ."

I guess you can teach an old dog (me) new tricks.
12-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #27
Veteran Member

My sumo was spotless and Pretty much like new. As I said, the Nhk zippers are super tight so fully unzipping the pack takes a little effort. But their conservative ratings with comments on actual condition are very accurate. I found it on E bay but it was a much better deal than what individuals were selling. I suspect that if I want a new rain cover, it will cost nearly as much as the 29.95 I paid for the Sumo.