Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
anyone used the chionese ZOMEI Q666 or INNOREL RT40 tripods?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

i think about buying a somehow better but cheap tripod.
i have velbon d60 and it is nice, but old and heavy..

when searching for new tripods I cam across series of manfrotto and benro but all of them are high above 100 USD.

on aliexpress i found two that interested me, both around 60 usd:
innorel rt40
zomei q666

both of them have very good opinions but i wanted to ask if anyone have used those and can say anything?

what i want to get from a tripod is:
* stable
* pretty light
* short to transport = less than 50cm when folded
* plus would be one leg that could be used as monopod
* cheap so aluminium -> carbon would be a lot more expensive

Last edited by gelokrol; 11-25-2017 at 02:19 PM.
11-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also started out with a cheap tripod and decided to upgrade. I was also looking for lighter and more compact (the Zomei was one of them). I was fortunate and had a couple of experienced photographers to talk with about this. They didn’t tell me not to buy it but they did ask me a couple of questions and then showed me something with my old tripod and their tripods. Here is the exchange I had with them and my answers

1 How much does your camera and average lens cost?
K-3 II and DA 16-85 about $1500

2 Would you trust a $60 tripod with your $1500 camera and lens?
I had no quick answer for that question but it was food for thought.

They then asked me to setup my current tripod and proceeded to show me how the legs bent under a little pressure and how it shaked. They then demonstrated with theirs how much more stiffer and stable their tripods were.

I finally made a decision a couple of days later. I was using my old tripod and it very nearly took a Tumble

I ended up purchasing a Manfrotto MT90 XPRO4 used on eBay with ball head in an auction for $175 shipping included. Below is a link to a new one on eBay.

Manfrotto MT190XPRO4 Aluminum Tripod Mfr # MT190XPRO4 719821364603 | eBay

Keep using your old one until you can buy one that is really better.

As I said earlier I was looking at the Zomei. You really need to focus on the negative reviews for any product and exactly what they are complaining about. Most people don’t like to admit they made a mistake so I find the positive reviews to be less helpful. What I took away from the reviews was that it was ok for $60 but there were lots of quality and durability issues.

So the question to you is are you willing to trust your DSLR investment to a $60 tripod?