Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Do you have the version coming that has a removable hood?
Ah, and there's that. When I purchased the lens, I wasn't aware that there are two versions and jumped on the sale version ($199US) which has a permanent hood. I could have answered my own question if I waited for the lens to arrive.

It did get here today, and although I won't be doing any circular fisheye shots with it, it's a pretty nice lens. In crop mode, it fills the frame on the K-1 and controls distortion nicely (it wouldn't make you think of a fisheye on some subject matter). I think I'll be quite happy with it and I can cut a circle in a piece of cardboard if I want the circular effect

Thanks for all the input folks. I learned a lot about focal reducers in the process.

11-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Ah, and there's that. When I purchased the lens, I wasn't aware that there are two versions and jumped on the sale version ($199US) which has a permanent hood. I could have answered my own question if I waited for the lens to arrive.

It did get here today, and although I won't be doing any circular fisheye shots with it, it's a pretty nice lens. In crop mode, it fills the frame on the K-1 and controls distortion nicely (it wouldn't make you think of a fisheye on some subject matter). I think I'll be quite happy with it and I can cut a circle in a piece of cardboard if I want the circular effect

Thanks for all the input folks. I learned a lot about focal reducers in the process.
My understanding is a bit limited on this topic but as I understand it the 8mm Rokinon is a "Stereographic Projection" style fisheye which I'm told reduces distortion to a degree while allowing you to use it to get distorted results by angling the lens more. I love mine.
11-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK the design of the K mount means a focal reducer isn't possible.
A focal reducer to take K mount lenses onto a k mount body isn't possible, but one to take medium format lenses would be. As is K mount lenses to MFT (I use one going via a EF mount) or K mount to Q-mount...

To work a focal reducer must mount the lens closer than it was initially designed to go so it's always impossible to have the same mount on both sides.