Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #1

crop lines on focus screen

I'm going to be getting a focusing screen for my K10- I shoot with my manual lenses most often, and focus is always an issue for me.
What I'd ideally like, though, is a screen with portrait crop lines. Is there ANY screen available with the crop lines besides Katzeye? If not, I'm going to be getting a split screen from fleabay, without the lines.
Thought it was worth a shot, anyway. Thank you!
Stephanie

08-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Crop lines for what size? It's nearly impossible to do, since the crop factor is not the same for a 4 X 6 print and an 8 X 10.
08-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been wishing that Pentax would introduce LCD gridlines in the viewfinder etc; I believe some Nikon SLRs have this, though I'm not sure how effective or useful they really are. Make it possible to change that 'RAW' button on the side of the lensmount to cycle through different viewfinder grids...if done well, that would be super.

Also, bear in mind that the viewfinder coverage is not 100% either so there is usually more captured outside the frame. Best bet is to avoid putting important stuff too close to the left and right of the frame as this is what's likely to be sacrificed when cropping for different formats.
08-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
The 'portrait' cropping screen that I'm familiar with has the 5x7 crop horizontally and 8x10 vertically. Basically, if you keep within the rectangle, you're good for both.
Sounds like the answer is no, anyhow. Oh, well.
I appreciate the help.
Stephanie

08-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #5

How useful do focusing screens end up being?

I seem to be having focusing trouble as well, and anything that would help would be awesome...
08-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are numerous proprietary and third party screens for the viewfinder suitable for the K10D/K20D. I have the LL-60 fitted on my K10D and I wouldn't go without it now. Divided into thirds, it helps with composition and straightening horizons and vertical lines in the frame. Although for this and the LL-80, there is no split prism for MF assistance. Katz Eye sound like the way to go for that.

The Pentax Life website have info on the various Pentax screens down their page:
Accessories | PentaxLife

And some info posted on dpreview:
K10D takes D/DS focussing screens and ...... [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
08-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hi all, I was having trouble getting fine focus with my Pentax manual lenses on the K10D, pictures not always as sharp as I would like, sort of bit hit and miss as to when, oh the joys of getting older.

I’ve been to the optician and yes, new glasses on the way, (had been 4 years since my last eyeball overhaul) this in itself will no doubt go a long way to fixing my problem.

But I still thought I needed a split prism with microprism ring, like in my old LX and having read the various threads on forums, Katzeye seemed to be the way to go.

Ok folks update time, got the Katz Eye, installed first time no probs, viewfinder now just amazing bright etc. Focus easy and swift, if you manual focus, jus get one of these, truly mega.

A very happy bunny

08-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, kerrowdown!

Which version of the Katzeye do you have?

They're pretty pricey, but they may be worth it if they work as well as you say!
08-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hi Jacksonpritt, I got the standard Katz Eye focusing screen for the Pentax K10D & K20D.

Which is the prism type, Katz Eye plus split prism w/microprism collar, I paid for the extra for the optibrite treatment, I just want everything as bright as it can possible be, if not even brighter.

I didn't bother Pentax AF area brackets or grid/crop lines, as I'm mainly a manual man.

You can contact the manufacturer on http://www.katzeyeoptics.com

This is now month two with Katz eye and still a very happy bunny.