Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #1

Remote control timer for K3 ii

I am enjoying shooting at night but am feeling I need something a little more accurate than a phone stopwatch in one hand and a remote control in the other...I would like to ask a recommendation for a good quality remote control with timer suitable or compatible with a K3 ii...thankyou

12-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Bower RCLC1R that I use for long exposures and certain types of interval work and which is compatible with your K-3II. A full description and review on this site may be found at:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

There are other similar products under various names. If it looks the same, it probably is the same.

Steve
12-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have a Bower RCLC1R that I use for long exposures and certain types of interval work and which is compatible with your K-3II. A full description and review on this site may be found at:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

There are other similar products under various names. If it looks the same, it probably is the same.

Steve
I have the "Trust Digital EZa-C1" version (Chinese knock-off) of this - looks identical - and have used it quite a bit with my K-3 - should work exactly the same on the K-3ii.
12-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
@stevebrot and @ChipB - thanks for the info...that seems to be the kind of unit I'm after although from the review it looks like it takes a bit of figuring out

12-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Burnin' Coal Quote
@stevebrot and @ChipB - thanks for the info...that seems to be the kind of unit I'm after although from the review it looks like it takes a bit of figuring out
My experience is that I have to re-read the manual everytime I get it out! For me, it's not real intuitive to use, but once you figure it out, it works great.
12-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Looks like another version.
12-08-2017, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I am enjoying shooting at night but am feeling I need something a little more accurate than a phone stopwatch in one hand and a remote control in the other...I would like to ask a recommendation for a good quality remote control with timer suitable or compatible with a K3 ii...thankyou
What do you need the accuracy for? When the exposure times exceed the 1minute mark, a second or 2 are not gonna show any difference. The longer the exposure, the less accuracy you will need ( in normal cases)

12-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
@Macario...even more than accuracy it's not having to rely on my phone's stopwatch...was out at -8C the other week and it killed the phone fairly quick...apart from that sometimes I just want four,six or eight seconds to be precisely that so that I can compare shots later and understand the effects of different settings on the same shot.
01-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
One could just count it out...onethousand one, onethousand two, onethousand three...and so on...no real need for a stopwatch or timer...(unless say going for minutes)..
01-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find the Alpine Labs Spark an intriguing proposition:
Spark - Alpine Labs

Haven't tried it myself yet , but I think I might get one in the coming months...

Wim
01-27-2018, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure why you would need something more accurate, quite honestly. If you are doing a 10 second exposure, a one second variance is a tenth of a stop, which is negligible. As your exposures lengthen, the need for really accurate exposure time becomes less and less.
One of my best images was shot in a Kiva in New Mexico. I had forgotten to take any sort of timing device down the ladder, but my light meter indicated i needed a several minute exposure. I tripped the shutter and went and sat down for a while until it seemed long enough.
For exposures longer than half a minute, i quite often just count elephants.
01-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As your exposures lengthen, the need for really accurate exposure time becomes less and less.
I learned this shortly after I started shooting large format. It that world, "B" and "T" are your friends.

Steve
01-28-2018, 01:16 AM   #14

Original Poster
@Wheatfield...indeed elephants have also come in handy on a couple of occasions and after a few experiments am also coming to understand how as exposure times lengthen "the need for really accurate exposure time becomes less and less"...as before my interest was/is purely based on the desire to not have to use the stopwatch on my phone as on several occasions recently the cold temperatures wiped the battery out on it really quickly and I was back to elephants again...albeit very cold elephants

@Ishpuini - thanks for the Spark - Alpine Labs link...looks interesting
01-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@Wheatfield...indeed elephants have also come in handy on a couple of occasions and after a few experiments am also coming to understand how as exposure times lengthen "the need for really accurate exposure time becomes less and less"...as before my interest was/is purely based on the desire to not have to use the stopwatch on my phone as on several occasions recently the cold temperatures wiped the battery out on it really quickly and I was back to elephants again...albeit very cold elephants
Hmmm, maybe it's time for a new battery for your phone....