Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Gary

Oh really, and you obviously don't have any problems with stability with the gorillapod I take it. Sounds as though it can handle quite a lot of weight being thrown its way. I should have probably waited now, and got that instead of the camera beanbag I ordered the other day from the US.

I think I've decided upon getting a monopod now. Just a question of which one, and the difficult part on what lenses as per my other thread

Thanks for the help.

08-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #17
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesAus Quote
Hi Gary

Oh really, and you obviously don't have any problems with stability with the gorillapod I take it. Sounds as though it can handle quite a lot of weight being thrown its way. I should have probably waited now, and got that instead of the camera beanbag I ordered the other day from the US.

I think I've decided upon getting a monopod now. Just a question of which one, and the difficult part on what lenses as per my other thread

Thanks for the help.
I think it can take 6lbs or something. Like you said though, the bean bag will probably be the best thing on the tundra buggy. Not sure how good it would be against a polar bear though, unless you get the bear to choke on it.

I'm really jealous of your trip by the way.
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think it can take 6lbs or something. Like you said though, the bean bag will probably be the best thing on the tundra buggy. Not sure how good it would be against a polar bear though, unless you get the bear to choke on it.

That's why the wife is coming along mate to protect me

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm really jealous of your trip by the way.
It's costing us a small fortune and now I want to buy camera gear, it's getting even more costly. Oh well, am sure it should be worth it.
08-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
Damn Brit

Well whatever your kit, I hope you get the experience and the shots that you want.
I wonder if "break a lens" is suitable as the photographic equivalent of "break a leg" in theatrical circles.

08-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheers

08-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks very much for that post mate, really really helpful

Yes that's the thing with monopods that concerns me that it won't support my camera and lenses well and it will be unsteady. Hard to tell really until you actually start using it I guess.

Re the lenses, it's a very tough choice I'm having to make, and based on what the tour have told me, longer lenses are really the way to go based on the distances we'll be viewing the bears at mostly. We'll be stopping for hours on end watching the bears, so I don't think I'll be snapping away that regularly while the buggy is moving, and hope to be using a monopod most of the time.

I'm really wanting at least a 300mm lenses, and would even prefer a 400mm. What would you recommend I look at that in that sort of range?

I've found a 300mm f4 lenses, but it's $3,500 so way out of my price range unfortunately.

G'day James,
If you are stopping regularly to take shots then I would strongly encourage you to buy a monopod. Manfrotto is a good choice, but there are many options out there, also buy a good pistol grip head for it, mine is the Manfrotto 222.

Why a monopod?..because most of your blurr will come from when you depress the shutter, in other words its up & down movement which the monopod largely alleviates. Take note that all sports shooters at the footy or motor racing use a monopod, so there's gotta be something in it.

As for which lens, I dont think you can go pass the Sigma "bigma" 50-500, while I dont have one, a friend has and swears by it, as do many other posters here.
08-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey Mallee Boy, thanks for the response mate, appreicated

I'm stuck between a monopod and a tripod now after reading comments on the tour I'm going on. It's going to be between -9 to -15 degrees I've been told + a wind factor, and I'm wondering whether the monopod is going to be steady enough for me, or whether I'll have other problems. Really unsure.

It's such an incredible range, from 50-500. Do you happen to know how it performs at either end of the range?

08-31-2008, 01:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry James, can't help you there, my info on the bigma is purely heresay.
Suggest you do a search in post your photos or email keithg (go to "members" and get his contact details from there), he has recently bought one.
Cheers.
08-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks mate
08-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
Damn Brit

James, in those temperatures, it's going to be a lot more comfortable and easier to adjust one leg on a monopod than it is three legs on a tripod.
BTW don't touch monopod or tripod with your tongue at those temperatures.
08-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheers mate. Having never used a monopod or tripod before, I take it a monopod would be able to support the camera body and 50-500 lenses ok and keep it fairly steady?

Hahaha, that reminds me of the British Top Gear Polar race they did, but a bolt got stuck to one of the presenters lips.
08-31-2008, 06:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm stuck between a monopod and a tripod now after reading comments on the tour I'm going on. It's going to be between -9 to -15 degrees I've been told + a wind factor, and I'm wondering whether the monopod is going to be steady enough for me, or whether I'll have other problems. Really unsure.

It's such an incredible range, from 50-500. ...
My guess is bear tours are measured affair - this is one subject you don't want to agitate So I'm thinking you won't be shooting from the buggy, but on foot - after some treking to feeding grounds.

At -9 to -15 outdoor, you will want to leave your camera mounted on a tripod at the desire zoom, focus, exposure - while waiting for interesting bear behavior - because your hands will want to be in a pair of gloves and tucked inside your pocket.
08-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
The polar bears are shot from what's called a tundra buggy, a big school bus in reality.

08-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beanbag support

Well for a different take - when traveling by air I take an OmniPod beanbag support in my suitcase. It has 1/4" screw attached to the bag and Velcro straps to wrap around railings and stuff. I added a rubber washer to the mount screw to protect the camera base (fastidious, I know, but why NOT?).

Sure there are shots I miss where only a tripod will do - but not many.

And take some combination mittens/fingerless gloves with openings on the fingertips (they pull open when you need dexterity, but close up when you need warmth).

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40241

Last edited by monochrome; 08-31-2008 at 08:42 PM.
08-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Manfro 790B is a nice monopod also. Vitec Black Modo Monopod - Floor Standing Monopod - 39'' to 145.5'' Height - 2.2 lb Load Capacity - 790B - Buy.com
and get a Manfrotto 3229 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head with Quick Release for 35 bucks and you have a inexpensive set-up to haul around. Folds down to 18 inches.

By the way It says not to use your camera below 0c or 32f.

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 08-31-2008 at 07:38 PM.