Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax non-collar telephoto lens make-shift solution for gimbal

Okay, this is a technical question. I have three telephoto lenses: the K 200/2.5, A* 300/4 and DA 300/4. I typically use the DA as a stand alone lens, the K 200/2.5 with a T6-2x teleconverter and the A* 300/4 with the F 1.7x AF Adapter. While the DA has a lens collar, the others two don't and there is no possibility of adapting one, so I'm considering a make-shift solution to allow me to mount them on a gimbal. What I have in mind is a 200mm rail slide.

amazon.com : SUNWAYFOTO DMP-200R Rail Nodal Slide w Arca RRS Compatible Clamp DMP200R Sunway : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It appears it will allow me mount and properly balance my rig on a gimbal . What are your thoughts, comments and suggestions?

The weight of my combinations vary from approximately 3.75 to 4.5 pounds (1750 to 2050 grams)

I appreciate any and all input.

The following is an example photo

Attached Images

12-12-2017, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I have done exactly that for quite a few years, I used to have a tripod solutions thread that explained it all, but photobucket held my photos to ransom.

I always use a macro rail on my ballhead, always balance the camera/lens combo, such as Pentax FA*200/2.8 , 50-135 ect ect, but also with my 15-30 on my K-1 , and also use it mount on my gimbal, so as you get the benifits of the gimbal but with any combo, not just telephotos..

cmohr
12-12-2017, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It looks quite good assuming that rail is as rigid as it looks and the rail slider has enough travel to span the distance between the rail holes.

If you get this, then spending a bit of quality time at home over a soft surface will let you safely find the center of gravity of each lens and then you can mark the rail with the hole & slide position for that lens.

The only other issue I can think of is whether the height of the rail+camera is compatible with your gimbal. The center of gravity of the whole rig needs to at (and not above) the center of the pitch mechanism of the gimbal to avoid flopping.

Good luck!
12-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've seen some that are longer and have a built-in support for the lens barrel at the end. These definitely work wonders with longer lenses, such as the FA* 300mm F4.5 for example.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2017, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen people use macro rails for this as they allow for very small adjustments for fine tuning balance of the camera/lens on the platform. The biggest issue with using plates like this is that obtaining perfect balance can be obstructed by the limited choice of mounting points. Using a zoom that changes length can also cause problems with balance.

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
but photobucket held my photos to ransom
And people said that would never happen.
12-12-2017, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H

and for those with a lot of money...

Manfrotto MVA513WK-1 Sympla Long Lens Support System MVA513WK-1
12-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Remember, when using these, all is arca-swiss compatible stuff, so, base plate on camera, rail, tripod/gimbal clamp, all must be arca-swiss.

arrrrr
cmohr

12-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

This might help explain what I mean.

12-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, cmohr, looks like you did exactly what I'm thinking, only it looks like you have an L-bracket on the camera while I'm going to use a simple quick release plate. I ordered the SUNWAYPHOTO today after measuring to insure it will be long enough. I'll post photos when it arrives.
12-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Since my plates and quick release is arc compatible, Marfrotto was not a consideration. This is a trial and error situation. I don't yet have a gimbal, so I'll give it a test with my ballhead. If things work as expected, I'll move on to a gimbal.
12-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have that 200mm macro rail myself, also the 160mm pictured here and a 100mm.

All sourced from ocecamera fleybay store. no affiliated but good guy to deal with.

I think I am going to reshoot my tripod solutions thread and repost the new version.

Arrr

cmohr