Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HD Monitor VS iPad

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am using an iPad with a FLUCard as a monitor with my K-3II macro setup. This works great, but the resolution for this setup is only 720 x 480.

Would a monitor with an HDMI cable give me better resolution or is this a limitation of the camera?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Don

01-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would suggest that the maximum resolution of the FLUCard would be the limit. Perhaps in the FLUCard documentation?
01-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The HDMI cable would output the monitor resolution, which is similar (VGA).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The HDMI cable would output the monitor resolution, which is similar (VGA).
Since VGA is 640 x 480 it seems I actually better off using the FLUCard.

Thanks

Don

01-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Since VGA is 640 x 480 it seems I actually better off using the FLUCard.

Thanks

Don
Perhaps, but the HDMI framerate should be smoother and of course connection reliability wouldn't be an issue, nor would there be any compression.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Perhaps, but the HDMI framerate should be smoother and of course connection reliability wouldn't be an issue, nor would there be any compression.
Connection reliability really hasn't been a problem – it is studio macro with everything sitting on the same bench.

But could you explain frame rate and compression to me? Is frame rate a potential problem when I have plenty of time for focusing? And what is compression?

Thanks,

Don
01-06-2018, 04:19 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Connection reliability really hasn't been a problem – it is studio macro with everything sitting on the same bench.

But could you explain frame rate and compression to me? Is frame rate a potential problem when I have plenty of time for focusing? And what is compression?

Thanks,

Don
Yes, I'm pretty sure the flucard doesn't stream at 60FPS due to bandwidth limitations, and the live view image is sent over as a JPEG, compressed similarly as the camera's own files. There is also a 1/3 delay, roughly. In your case the difference in image quality is probably negligible though Happy to hear you are putting the Flucard to good use!

Adam

01-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam,

Thanks for the explanations.

All-in-all, it seems as though a hard-wired monitor will be little (if any) improvement over the FLUCard + iPad for my studio macro setup.
01-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

HDMI will deliver 720p (1280x720, 0,9MP).
Pentax K-3 II Review - Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

So more than 3x than 720x480 (0,3MP).
File:Standard video res.svg - Wikimedia Commons
01-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
HDMI will deliver 720p (1280x720, 0,9MP).
Pentax K-3 II Review - Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

So more than 3x than 720x480 (0,3MP).
File:Standard video res.svg - Wikimedia Commons
Thanks for this.

Now I am going to have to buy an HDMI cable and experiment with an old computer monitor. Well, its cold out and I have nothing better to do. It will be interesting.
01-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I do recommend to use a short miniHDMI (Type C) to HDMI adapter cable together with an HDMI/HDMI+DVI-cable in the needed length.
For example the Nokia HDMI Adapter CA-156.