Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens Support When Adapting MF Lenses to FF

Hello everyone,

I just recently made the plunge into MF Film, but I'd also like to take advantage of using those awesome lenses on my K-1 and maybe even my Sony camera. My only concern is the strain those lenses could put on the FF camera's mount. None of the lenses I have come with a tripod collar, so I'm wondering what accessories might exist or what tips you all may have.

Thanks!

01-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

What lens mount and lenses are you talking about?
01-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manfrotto makes a couple of long lens support brackets that don't rely on collars. Other manufacturers may also.
01-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Manfrotto makes a couple of long lens support brackets that don't rely on collars. Other manufacturers may also.
What "Uncle" says ^ ^ ^

The device is sort of like a crutch on an extension that can be configured to support various lenses.

Steve

01-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What lens mount and lenses are you talking about?
I'll be using 6x7 lenses on a K-1. The lenses range from 55mm-300mm. I'm sure nothing is completely universal, just hoping for something universal enough.
01-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
My only concern is the strain those lenses could put on the FF camera's mount.

What lenses are you planning on using? I don't know about the Sony, but it seems as if the K-1 is designed to handle the 15-30 without a tripod mount, and that lens isn't all that much lighter than the big 645 zooms. Unless Ricoh engineers have really thrown caution to the wind, I would think that primes would be quite safe to use, even with the weight of the adaptor thrown in.

At any rate, I'll look forward to seeing how the adapted lenses work for you at 36MP!
01-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is this what you are referring to?

amazon.com : Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support - Replaces 3420 : Camera Lens Supports : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 01-05-18 at 10:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
What lenses are you planning on using? I don't know about the Sony, but it seems as if the K-1 is designed to handle the 15-30 without a tripod mount, and that lens isn't all that much lighter than the big 645 zooms. Unless Ricoh engineers have really thrown caution to the wind, I would think that primes would be quite safe to use, even with the weight of the adaptor thrown in.

At any rate, I'll look forward to seeing how the adapted lenses work for you at 36MP!
I assumed that it can probably handle it, but I would rather play it safe. The lens I'm most concerned with is the 6x7 300mm. I had a chance to test it out already and couldn't believe how smooth the bokeh was. Would love to use it for portraits.

01-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The lens I'm most concerned with is the 6x7 300mm.

Definitely understand--that's the one 67 prime that seems to have fallen through the cracks when it comes to tripod support.
01-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this what you are referring to?
RRS also makes a similar, but more configurable unit...

Really Right Stuff Long Lens Y-Support Package CB-YS-QR PKG B&H

Steve
01-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
RRS also makes a similar, but more configurable unit...

Really Right Stuff Long Lens Y-Support Package CB-YS-QR PKG B&H

Steve
That looks so much better than the Manfrotto, but also considerably more expensive. Definitely gonna have to save up for that one. Thanks!
01-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are loads of options.

Packages