Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

D-BG5 power switch has no clicks?

Bought an E+ used grip from Adorama, just received it. It is indeed in like-new condition. I was a bit surprised by the cheapy feel, but my biggest concern is with the very flaccid feeling power switch. It slides smoothly off to on with no resistance until the optical preview throw is reached. Is this normal? It feels chintzy (and so does the shutter) compared to the switch on the camera body. Is it excessively worn or is it supposed to be like this?

01-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it's seen some use, as that can happen over time. But if the switch works without any issues, and you got a good price on the grip, it's probably worth keeping.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2018, 05:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would send it back, it should feel just like the switch on the body, the ones I have do.
01-17-2018, 06:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

Does it say Pentax, Philippines on the label? I tried a knockoff BG-5 grip from China that felt as you described. Actually, it was really awful, luckily I could return it. Compared to the original genuine K-1 grip, it was a really bad experience. Some buttons didn't work at all, the dials felt cheap, the whole thing was untrustworthy.

01-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AyeYo Quote
Bought an E+ used grip from Adorama, just received it. It is indeed in like-new condition. I was a bit surprised by the cheapy feel, but my biggest concern is with the very flaccid feeling power switch. It slides smoothly off to on with no resistance until the optical preview throw is reached. Is this normal? It feels chintzy (and so does the shutter) compared to the switch on the camera body. Is it excessively worn or is it supposed to be like this?
I also bought that grip from Adorama (via Amazon) and the power switch should have similar feel to the K-3 body's. If yours does not, IMO you should return it.

And yes, the grip does have a slightly "cheapy" feel, not as good as the BG4 for the K-5.
01-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sys3175 Quote
Does it say Pentax, Philippines on the label? I tried a knockoff BG-5 grip from China that felt as you described. Actually, it was really awful, luckily I could return it. Compared to the original genuine K-1 grip, it was a really bad experience. Some buttons didn't work at all, the dials felt cheap, the whole thing was untrustworthy.
Yes. I was actually wondering if it was a knock off due to the incredibly cheap feel (which included crappy feeling dials), but it's definitely marked exactly like an OEM and came in a OEM box. I bought through Amazon so an exchange will be a piece of cake.

Last edited by AyeYo; 01-18-2018 at 08:23 AM.