Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for the help

I have a regular gorilla pod and the head it came with as well as the X ball head

hadn't realized that they made larger models

just checked the prices of the tripod only

might be worth a try, but not sure about the height or balance

GorillaPod 5K Kit - Premium flexible tripod with Ball Head for DSLR and mirrorless cameras

5 kilos = 11 pounds

ah, I see it just came available last fall and a BallHead 5K is recommended

that bumps the price for me

http://www.imaging-resource.com/articles/jobys-new-gorillapod-5k-is-a-timela...ers-best-frien

https://fstoppers.com/originals/fstoppers-reviews-joby-gorillapod-5k-tripod-...cameras-197502

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-20-2018 at 05:21 AM.
01-20-2018, 06:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My basic travel tripod kit: Novoflex Triopod 2853 + Novoflex ClassicBall 3 II.

The Novoflex Triopod serie is a very flexible high quality solution. You can interchange legs (different sizes, aluminum/carbon) and other parts. Novoflex offers great support and you get all parts if there are problems. But it‘s a more expensive option.

—-
Triopod single components website
01-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only thing you're likely to get under 45mm and under $100 is the Platapod; Platypod®
But you'd still likely want a ball head of some sort attached to it.

Assuming you meant 45cm, the Mefoto A1350 goes on all my travels. Packs in at 39cm, but its a bit more than your $100 limit.
They do have smaller versions, but the A1350 isn't too tiny for any actual use.
01-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I also have the Sirui - the carbon version. I could not recommend it highly enough; it's light, sturdy, full-featured, and more than capable of holding the K-1 and the very heavy DFA15-30 steady.

Or the FA31

It's even better suited to the KP and DA limiteds

I have a carbon 3 legged thing tripod, great but started having problems.
could you send a link to your carbon tripod please

01-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have a carbon 3 legged thing tripod, great but started having problems.
could you send a link to your carbon tripod please
I got mine from B&H
01-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I use three. If I'm traveling in my car, I take my old Leitz Tiltall...beefy, big, rugged...I originally got it to use with medium format cameras. I had rented a Pentax 6 X 7 with a 90 mm Leaf shutter lens. This combo broke my cheapie tripod. I used the Tiltall with my Mamiya medium format and Yashicamat.

I also have an old Minolta Table Top tripod. Well built, sort of a Minolta copy of the old Leitz table top. I also have a Gorilla tripod and a Manfrotto monopod

.On airplane trips the Gorilla as it's easily replaceable if lost...the Leitz and Minolta (had both since the 1980's) not easily replaceable and they're of more value to me.

Minolta Table Top Tripod...or as I call it my M triple T:

Resultado de imágenes de Google para https://d1ro734fq21xhf.cloudfront.net/attachments/00WxaO-264319584.jpg
01-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #22
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the valuable suggestions and knowledge. From all models you mentioned, I decided to order the Sirui T-005X (with C-10S Ball Head) via ebay, because the price is within my budget (90 euros shipping inclus), and its size and weight are very attractive. I'm using a Pentax KP with a collection of DA Ltds, the bulkiest lens being the DA* 16-50, so I'm not very likely to get to more than 1.5kg at any point, so I think this tripod will serve me very well.

Admittedly, I have almost no knowledge of tripod prior to this question. I didn't know that attention should be paid to the ball head too. I guess this is one of the reason why my no-name tripod is difficult to use (almost impossible to have a perfect horizontal or vertical shot).

Thank you again for the help.

Last edited by Bui; 01-29-2018 at 02:47 AM.
01-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #23
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Thank you very much for the valuable suggestions and knowledge. From all models you mentioned, I decided to order the Sirui T-005X (with C-10S Ball Head) via ebay, because the price is within my budget (90 euros shipping inclus), and its size and weight are very attractive. I'm using a Pentax KP with a collection of DA Ltds, the bulkiest lens being the DA* 16-50, so I'm very likely to get to more than 1.5kg at any point, so I think this tripod will serve me very well.

Admittedly, I have almost no knowledge of tripod prior to this question. I didn't know that attention should be paid to the ball head too. I guess this is one of the reason why my no-name tripod is difficult to use (almost impossible to have a perfect horizontal or vertical shot).

I think the T-005X is a good choice. I, too, have the carbon fiber version and find it to do a good job for such a lightweight and compact tripod. I rarely bring the center column since it tends to vibrate if there's any wind at all. Shouldn't be much of a problem indoors, though.
01-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I use a Vanguard monopod with 3 feet. Not quite as stable a a tripod but ideal to travel with.
Vanguard VEO AM-264-TR reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Thank you very much for the valuable suggestions and knowledge. From all models you mentioned, I decided to order the Sirui T-005X (with C-10S Ball Head) via ebay, because the price is within my budget (90 euros shipping inclus), and its size and weight are very attractive. I'm using a Pentax KP with a collection of DA Ltds, the bulkiest lens being the DA* 16-50, so I'm very likely to get to more than 1.5kg at any point, so I think this tripod will serve me very well.

Good choice.
01-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

I would like to ask for your recommendation of a good travel tripod. I have a cheap one which works, but it’s a bit unstable, and it’s not easy to tweak horizontal and vertical direction. I want to invest in a better one, but still retaining the compactness.

By compactness, I expect it to be less than 45mm, ideally even less when folding, because we travel a lot on cheap airlines, with hand baggage only. Weight is also important, but less so than size. I also wish that it is easy and fast to setup, and adjust.

With all that, if it could be less than 100$ it would be great.

Do you know any that matches?

Thank you very much.
I'm not really a fan of cheap tripods, but if you want to look at decent tripods that are priced moderately, check out Feisol tripods.
01-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have the Sirui T-025X, a carbon fiber tripod coming in at under 900g with the head. I find the last leg sections pretty flimsy, and the column can't telescope down into the legs (though you can remove it entirely). It was OK to work with the K-01 and a smallish lens in calm conditions. The head tends to seize up in really cold conditions and the knob on it is pretty small, giving you not much leverage on it. It doesn't go very high either, but if you can work sitting down and have a fairly light kit, it should work OK.

Personally, I upgraded to an Oben CT-3561 (with BE-117T head). I believe Oben is B&H's in-house tripod brand. This tripod & head combo comes in at about 1.4kg. It is much, much sturdier than the Sirui and the head is, IMHO, much, much nicer. A much better tripod for the K-3. It's still reasonably light, but the weight difference is quite noticeable. Now that I hope to be doing some bike touring in the next years, I am considering finding something in the middle of those two - maybe the Oben CT-3531 (with BE-108T head), which should be about 1.1kg...

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-27-2018 at 04:51 PM.
01-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The Sirui T-025X (carbon) is probably the best bet. It's lighter, shorter, sturdier and cheaper than all the alternatives from MeFoto et all. And it's not because it's in any way cheaper. Heie made a review of it a few years ago:

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews