Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What tripod do you use for travel?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I would like to ask for your recommendation of a good travel tripod. I have a cheap one which works, but it’s a bit unstable, and it’s not easy to tweak horizontal and vertical direction. I want to invest in a better one, but still retaining the compactness.

By compactness, I expect it to be less than 45mm, ideally even less when folding, because we travel a lot on cheap airlines, with hand baggage only. Weight is also important, but less so than size. I also wish that it is easy and fast to setup, and adjust.

With all that, if it could be less than 100$ it would be great.

Do you know any that matches?

Thank you very much.

01-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one that I have: Sirui T-1005X 5-Section Aluminum Tripod SUT1005X B&H Photo Video

I also have a Sirui ball head. This the web address to it also in case you are interested: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822261-REG/Sirui_BSRK20_K_20x_Ball_Head.html

There is also a carbon fiber version of the tripod I mentioned. It is the Sirui T-1205X.

These are the tripod specs:

Maximum Height of 51.4"
Load Capacity of 22 lbs
Forged Aluminum Chassis
Rapid/Reversible Center Column
Short Center Column for Low-Angle Shots
Folds Down to 13.4"
Weighs 2.2 lbs
01-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Now some..

Rollei C5i + head T2S

So far works good

Got 2 camera Arca swiss plates

Last edited by AldaCZ; 01-19-2018 at 03:31 PM.
01-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a used Sirui T-025X carbon fiber tripod, for $89 on sale through Hunts Camera. It's a great light weight tripod, fits into my carry-on bag, and it supports my K-1 comfortably.

01-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is a link to the section of the forums where members have reviewed tripods and tripod heads

Tripods - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Tripod Heads - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

and monopods

Monopods - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

there is another option that might be useable, it is a brace which can be mounted to a monopod or just held against the shoulder:

Rifle Style Mount StediStock II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-19-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Stable, compact/lightweight, affordable...Choose two...

A few years ago I did a couple of guest blog posts for Hin under the title "The Magic Tripod" that chronicled my search for an affordable lightweight tripod for under $100.
Hin's Photo Corner: The Magic Tripod

Hin's Photo Corner: Magic Tripod, Part II
I was pretty happy with the articles. They include most of what I might include here, so I suggest a click-through.

I have been pretty happy with my choice (Slik Pro 330DX legs with Manfrotto 494 head) in the seven years since those articles. The kit has been carried many miles strapped to my pack and has also gone on a few minor photo expeditions (Alaska, Yosemite, and New Mexico) where air travel was involved. My comments at this late date:
  • I am still a bit torn whether four-segment legs might travel better than the three-segment legs of the 330DX, though I don't intend to switch mine out
  • Even though I specifically sought a non-QR head design, I have since added a DAC-X1 Arca-Swiss skeleton-type clamp to allow easy use of my plate-equipped dSLR. It works great, weighs little, and goes on/off in a jiffy.
Oh...FWIW, I have no relation to Slik, Manfrotto, or DAX.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-19-2018 at 03:33 PM.
01-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #7

M5 mini tripod

Hello

The M5 mini tripod may be good (or too small) for what you are looking for.
I don’t own one, but I have seen and manipulated one in a store.

Fotopro M5 Mini Tripod | eBay

01-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sirui T-005X. Aluminum tripod, $99 including ballhead. 31cm folded. Sirui T-005X Aluminum Tripod with C-10S Ball Head SUT005KX B&H

It is very compact when folded. It can fit inside many bags or hang outside. The carabiner can be hooked on the side of my belt for easy access during short walks; it swings a little but doesn't interfere with my gait.

It adequately supports my K-1 with 28-105 or 15-30. I rarely extend the center column because it can vibrate, so I get 124 cm height from the tripod. Use a remote, shutter timer, or phone app to trigger the camera.

Note that I have never brought it as carry-on baggage, only checked. Arbitrary TSA staff might fear it could be used as a bludgeon.

P.S. It's a travel tripod, emphasis on being small yet giving fair height. For significant long exposure or telephoto I use a larger tripod.
01-19-2018, 07:21 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have the Sirui - the carbon version. I could not recommend it highly enough; it's light, sturdy, full-featured, and more than capable of holding the K-1 and the very heavy DFA15-30 steady.

Or the FA31

It's even better suited to the KP and DA limiteds

01-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Note that I have never brought it as carry-on baggage, only checked. Arbitrary TSA staff might fear it could be used as a bludgeon.
That has been my practice as well, though was surprised on a recent trip to see backpack carry-ons with fairly large tripods attached being carried on the concourse. This was in Alaska, so it may depend on the airport. The most amazing thing I have seen was on a recent long flight to North Carolina where a passenger carried a good-sized set of deer antlers that he held on his lap the entire way. I pity what might have happened to that guy with a rough landing.

Steve
01-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own two Mefoto travel tripods, the Backpacker and Daytrip, both fit easily in carry on bags. My Backpacker has a center column that is fixed in the up position, sturdy enough but keeps you from getting low. They have corrected that mistake in the newer versions. That Daytrip is a very small tripod, but very good. It was not perfect either because it had a "mini" arca type QR, I easily swapped that out for a regular size arca type QR. I only paid $50 for it but it is discontinued now. I use it as a table top tripod also, and it is great for hikes. I only bring it up because you may find one somewhere for a great price. That Sirui T-005X looks like a winner also.
01-20-2018, 01:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I use Slik CF-614. Without the head when folded it is 48mm. 1.8lb. I unscrew the head and keep it separate. I have used it with DFA 70-200mm f2.8.
Cons are
-4 sections
-screw type joints.
01-20-2018, 02:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is a great question to ask. I too am contemplating and keen to see what others are thinking.

I am contemplating the Joby Gorilla 3K

GorillaPod 3K Kit - Professional-grade ABS flexible tripod with ball-head capable of holding 3kg of DSLR or Mirrorless Camera

simply because it is super light and versatile. It may also avoid being classed a weapon :/

I intend to use with a K-1, FA20, FA43 and FA77 with all camera equipment being carry on luggage.
01-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
This is a great question to ask. I too am contemplating and keen to see what others are thinking.

I am contemplating the Joby Gorilla 3K

GorillaPod 3K Kit - Professional-grade ABS flexible tripod with ball-head capable of holding 3kg of DSLR or Mirrorless Camera

simply because it is super light and versatile. It may also avoid being classed a weapon :/

I intend to use with a K-1, FA20, FA43 and FA77 with all camera equipment being carry on luggage.
I wonder how that would actually do with a K 3+ battery grip + a D FA 150-450mm zoom

battery grip any idea of a weight on that?

800 + 2000 + ? = 2800+ g

98 ounces or 6 pounds and 3 ounces plus

3 kilograms = 6.9 pounds
01-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I wonder how that would actually do with a K 3+ battery grip + a D FA 150-450mm zoom
For that setup I would probably upgrade to the 5K (5 kg) - but even still I suspect you are pushing its limits.

To limit any vibrations I intend to use a remote trigger