Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reflector Suggestions?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Living in sunny Australia and I don't have a reflector yet, shame on me! I was just looking on eBay, quite a choice, is there where are ye fellas (and gals) got your reflectors from or is there a specific (yet perhaps more expensive) brand I should be looking for?

I don't mind paying more for something high quality that is really very collapsible and durable, I want it to be able to go into a sling style backpack for example

TIA!

Bruce

01-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you want a reflector or a diffuser or a diffuse reflector?* What size do you need (the large ones require a stand or assistant)? Assuming the backpack requirement, you probably want a smaller one.** I don't know that brand is a huge consideration, though some folk may have preference based on feature details (handle?). Mine are Lastolite and Impact brand round collapsible. Both are equivalent quality and compactness. The all fold up the same way.

FWIW, my diffusers see more use.

Steve

* I have a large convertible model from Impact that does all three.

** Sizing is fairly standardized

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-21-2018 at 12:04 PM.
01-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do you want a reflector or a diffuser or a diffuse reflector?* What size do you need (the large ones require a stand or assistant)? Assuming the backpack requirement, you probably want a smaller one.** I don't know that brand is a huge consideration, though some folk may have preference based on feature details. Mine are Lastolite and Impact brand round collapsible. Both are equivalent quality and compactness. The all fold up the same way.

FWIW, my diffusers see more use.

Steve

* I have a large convertible model from Impact that does all three.

** Sizing is fairly standardized
I was thinking reflector, something to shine that natural daylight back onto the subjects face during dawn or dusk hours etc. Yeh, I forgot to mention it would have to be able to somehow be fastened to a tripod or something as I work alone :'(

(thanks for replying
01-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here is my DIY idea.
Start with an easel like this amazon.com: Jack Richeson 694051 Italian Field Easel, Steel, Black: Industrial & Scientific?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Then mount a hard board on easel. Then place a foldable reflector on the board. (Google for "Jumbo Sun Shade Car Truck Van SUV Visor Windshield Dashboard Cover Heat Reflective")
Spine of the easel is able to tilt, so it can go from flat to vertical. Spine can be lowered (like center column of tripod). I have similar easel, and when collapsed it is 33 inches.

Last edited by pentaxfall; 01-21-2018 at 03:24 PM.
01-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The all fold up the same way.
Aye I've got the bigger versions and it's like Alligator wrestling to get 'em back in the pooch/bag thing.
01-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just go for a 5 in 1, Bruce!
01-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just go for a 5 in 1, Bruce!
What size you reckon? 60/80/110cm 5Pcs Studio Photography Photo Reflector Light Collapsible Refletor | eBay

Have you tried both sizes? Have a preference? And what about positioning it when along, just on a tripod I guess?

01-21-2018, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
What size you reckon? 60/80/110cm 5Pcs Studio Photography Photo Reflector Light Collapsible Refletor | eBay

Have you tried both sizes? Have a preference? And what about positioning it when along, just on a tripod I guess?
Bigger is better, Bruce, as the girls say. A tiny one might be fine for macro stuff, but what about half body shots, for instance?

But you have to be able to take them with you and deploy them. The other day I saw a Channel 7 News grip struggling to keep a scrim in place over the reporter at a windy Black Rock beach.

You might look at a clamp that can go on a lighting stand.

I took this one with somebody holding the scrim part over Andrea who is in full summer sun, and yet the skin tones are soft and the clothing colours not washed out by glare:

01-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm actually thinking about getting the triangle ones, tell me why this is a bad idea? They can even be mounted on a tripod, important if I'm working alone.

AU STOCK 80cm 5in1 Triangle Reflector Disc Collapsible For Photography Handheld | eBay
01-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

They're fine, but a rectangle or circle can be used as an improvised background for head and shoulders shots in a lousy environment.

01-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a ton of reflectors and scrims from assorted manufacturers. At the moment I have several Promaster 5 in 1 reflectors set up in my studio which has survived several years of heavy use . Personally I find working with large scrims outdoors to require an assistant or two to keep them from blowing around - FYI, get the square ones with handles on them. For an individual photographer working alone keeping the reflector small is a necessity.

For you i'd suggest a rig like this:

Weighed down with sandbags, and mounted on a sturdy tripod/lighting stand it should fit the bill. the double dual grip head clamps come in metal and plastic - I'd suggest the ratcheted plastic ones as the metal clamps are very heavy and they often aren't ratcheted which means you have to tighten them down very firmly which isn't great when a quick and easy set-up and break down is desirable. The boom arms are extendable to accommodate even very large reflectors, they have clamps that hold the reflector in place - however it can still rotate in strong winds. And the plastic clamps on the boom can be broken if they are over tightened.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-23-2018 at 10:27 PM.
01-27-2018, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Living in sunny Australia and I don't have a reflector yet, shame on me! I was just looking on eBay, quite a choice, is there where are ye fellas (and gals) got your reflectors from or is there a specific (yet perhaps more expensive) brand I should be looking for?

I don't mind paying more for something high quality that is really very collapsible and durable, I want it to be able to go into a sling style backpack for example

TIA!

Bruce
I use the shades that are used to keep sunlight off of the dashboards of cars. They are moderately inexpensive and fold up pretty small. Obviously, you need one with a white side.