Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are All T mount adapters created equal?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just picked up a Meade ATX125 telescope which will require a T to K adapter. It looks like there are bunches of makers, on sale on ebay but I wanted to stay away from 'bad ones' if it really makes a difference.

01-21-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stemked,

I tend to use BH's website, because it is:

1. Frequented by nerds, who
2. Leave reviews.

See, e.g., this converter, and associated reviews.
01-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

Like most camera accessories quality can very greatly and generally you get what you pay for.

I find the quality of the Japan made "Qualide" brand to be quite good.

Qualide T-Mount Lens Adapter for Pentax K 35mm SLR Film Camera 25-166-2227 | eBay
01-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you get some gear really cheap then it's safe to consider it a toy - that's not saying not to buy cheap, it's a really good way of learning what gear you really want, just there is usually a reason that more expensive stuff is more expensive.

If you just want to check it our and play then go cheap, if you have a project in mind then going more expensive is a good idea.

On the flipside of that - things like mount adapters are pretty hard to screw up (dimensionally speaking), so don't spend too much, the cheap metal mounts tend to be aluminium, which wears down quickly, but not so quickly that you won't be able to use it well enough to decide if you want to spend more on a better quality brass unit. I tend to buy very cheap to check things out and then pay more as needed.

01-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago US marketing company Vivitar sold "Series 1 " t-mount adapters that were really nice. All others seem quite similar to me.
01-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
On the flipside of that - things like mount adapters are pretty hard to screw up (dimensionally speaking), so don't spend too much, the cheap metal mounts tend to be aluminium, which wears down quickly, but not so quickly that you won't be able to use it well enough to decide if you want to spend more on a better quality brass unit. I tend to buy very cheap to check things out and then pay more as needed.
I bought a cheap "Polaroid" branded T-mount adapter made in India. It was total crap. The lock set screws would not stay set, the finish rough enough you could use it as sand paper and the T-thread would not thread into any of my T-mount lenses and the K-mount had significant movement even when locked.

And then there are the cheap set of no-name M42 extension tubes I bought. They thread together fine. All my screw mount lenses thread into them fine. But none of the tubes will thread into any of my screwmount bodies, bellows or adapters (OEM or third party).

You can't play if the pieces don't fit.
01-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

True, and any adapter mount made from plastic should be avoided like the plague.

01-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all.I'll avoid the garbage and look for the gem.
01-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Years ago US marketing company Vivitar sold "Series 1 " t-mount adapters that were really nice. All others seem quite similar to me.

I second the Vivitar Series 1 adapters! Took me a long time to find one in K-mount, though. There seems to be two versions - a "plain" Series-1 K-mount adapter (like mine), and one for the Vivitar 400mm/f4.5 mirror lens (which I've seen more often, but priced way too high for me).
01-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been using the Bower PK-T adapter from B&H for several years with success, works fine for my low budget astro needs.

edit: one I have is all aluminum.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-28-2018 at 07:29 PM.