Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Suggestions for Monopod w/feet

Anyone use a Monopod with the feet? I am planning on getting one, but do want the feet, for more stability. $50-$100 range. I do have an excellent tripod with a Gimbal head, but want a quicker/easier to grab unit for wildlife. This would be for my K3, Sigma 300 F4 Macro.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

01-31-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just don't think that the feet can let you stand the monopod up without a hand holding it. It WILL topple over if not hand held as well.

You might also want to look at a ball head for on top of the monopod. Will give you more flexibility of movement, especially if you are shooting some video.

Regards

Chris
01-31-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Surely you mean foot, singular like a Gitzo "bigfoot"

Why would it need feet , plural ? It is not like it is a free-standing arrangement.
01-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, I mean feet (3). Gives the monopod more stability. Yes, I know it is not a "stand alone" unit, and I would never turn loose of it with the camera attached. I don't shoot video, and have an excellent ball head. However, I'm just not a fan of ballheads.

01-31-2018, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Sirui P-204S which B&H shows as discontinued.

I believe it was replaced by the following: Sirui SUP204SR Aluminum-Alloy Photo/Video Monopod SUP204SR B&H

It is pretty well-made and sturdy but is slightly above your price range.
01-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll take a look!
01-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a Manfrotto monopod (560B-1), it's very good even if a bit pricey (paid around 120€ for mine).

The three feet really help by providing a solid base on which to swing and rotate the monopod, while the fluid base works very nicely, even when you're not shooting video.

I actually bought it for video (made up my mind one evening at a concert, trying to handhold a long lens for video... didn't work too well :-/ ), but ended up using it mainly with tele lenses for still shots.

01-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aha, I get it now. The feet have a ball type linkage at the bottom of the pole.
01-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Aha, I get it now. The feet have a ball type linkage at the bottom of the pole.
Yeah, that's how you move them.
The Manfrotto video line also has a "fluid drag system" that allows rotation on the yaw axis without any jerkiness, and that's a red cartridge separated from the ball joint (just above it).
01-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Anyone use a Monopod with the feet? I am planning on getting one, but do want the feet, for more stability. $50-$100 range. I do have an excellent tripod with a Gimbal head, but want a quicker/easier to grab unit for wildlife. This would be for my K3, Sigma 300 F4 Macro.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I can't provide feedback on units in the price range you're looking at but I hope the feedback I can provide will assist you in making your decision.

In 2016 I bought one of these: Aluminium Video Fluid Monopod with 9.5mm top attachment The model shown can be seen on the Manfrotto page but not at B&H which suggests it's market specific or a bit long in the tooth. Price-wise via B&H this is as close as I could to your price range and what I have: Manfrotto XPRO MPMXPROA3US Aluminum Monopod with XPRO Fluid B&H The foot is different so I'm guessing this is a newer model.

This may not be the style of foot you're looking for, but this style of fluid base is what my experience is based upon.

I bought mine for use with the K-1 and 150-450 when capturing racing motorcycles. I used it with motocross and road racing and it worked well with both. I liked the more compact style of foot compared to the thin long option which I felt were too static for my subject and probably less robust. The fluid foot is good for uneven ground and assisting with vertical changes in your subject (eg motocross bikes going over jumps). For lateral motion with less vertical adjustment like road racing it was good for allowing me to lock the head off from vertical movement as there was enough in the foot if it was needed.

The Manfrotto foot is metal and built to their usual standards so it's good kit. It is tension adjustable so whilst you can tighten it up to the point of leaving your camera/monopod supporting itself it's not something I'm silly enough to do. Any shots you see of people doing this invariably have a small lens on so these shots are just for show.

I can recommend you consider the fluid style of foot but also consider that if you don't have a normal foot to swap it with it's likely to be more susceptible to damage if you take it to the beach or similar conditions. I haven't tested mine for this, it's just a concern I had so I use a different monopod if I'm going to capture surfers. Maybe it would be alright, and the instructions do cover maintenance so maybe I'm just being overly cautious too. However if you look at the B&H link above you can see where the feet screw on and off so quick changing of feet is possible if this suits you.

If there's any caution I can offer it's the fact that this style is more complex than three straight bits of metal. There's locking parts, rotating parts, tilting parts etc. so whilst I think these are the better foot option there's more that can go wrong with them too.

So in summary, I can recommend the Manfrotto (if for no other reason than to have 'Made in Italy' on something I own) as a good quality option though not cheapest. Its fluid foot is a really handy tool and if respected would be a wise choice to go with.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 01-31-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
01-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tas, thanks for a great write up! Question I have with the Manfrotto's, is the compatibility with my Arca-Swiss adapter plates.
01-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
The Manfrotto foot is metal and built to their usual standards so it's good kit. It is tension adjustable so whilst you can tighten it up to the point of leaving your camera/monopod supporting itself it's not something I'm silly enough to do. Any shots you see of people doing this invariable have a small lens on so these shots are just for show.
You're a wise person... a ball joint that is kept still only by friction and such a long lever arm... what could possibly go wrong...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
(if for no other reason than to have 'Made in Italy' on something I own)

Tas
Manfrotto has been bought by The Vitec Group in 1989, and I'm not sure how much of the manufacturing is actually made in Italy instead of China...
01-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Tas, thanks for a great write up! Question I have with the Manfrotto's, is the compatibility with my Arca-Swiss adapter plates.
Wouldn't that have more to do with what head you mount? I'm guessing they all use the same pin at the top.
01-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have (I believe) this one from promaster - would need to check the model number to make sure:

https://www.amazon.com/ProMaster-Professional-MPV428-Convertible-Monopod/dp/...master+monopod

It works pretty well.
01-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You're a wise person... a ball joint that is kept still only by friction and such a long lever arm... what could possibly go wrong...

Manfrotto has been bought by The Vitec Group in 1989, and I'm not sure how much of the manufacturing is actually made in Italy instead of China...
Thanks mate, my mum doesn't think I"m real bright so some positive feedback is a good thing.

You had me checking the 'Made in Italy' thingy and I can report that my Manfrotto tripod, both monopods and three of the four heads I use all have 'Made in Italy'. If it's on my MH055 photo/video head then they've hidden it well. Ta for uncovering the consipracy.

Tas