Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Sucks because a pair of Cactus V6 II would be a lot more expensive and I don't use flash that often.. I need it for a shoot coming up in March..
But you also need reliability. Clackers and maybe some others have had good luck with the Acon but others, including me, have been less happy. Mine worked but one of the pair arrived without a battery cover and they never responded to my emails. Cactus are not really more expensive if you look at used units and the chance that the company will stay around. By the way, Adorama has a bunch of like new 6VII units for $64.

02-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
But you also need reliability. Clackers and maybe some others have had good luck with the Acon but others, including me, have been less happy. Mine worked but one of the pair arrived without a battery cover and they never responded to my emails. Cactus are not really more expensive if you look at used units and the chance that the company will stay around. By the way, Adorama has a bunch of like new 6VII units for $64.
Huh, that's pretty good. I'm going to check their used section, thanks for the tip
02-02-2018, 04:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I can tel you that unless you use the acon that often. You will never learn how to really understand all the flashes of light.
I returned my acon triggers because i couldnt understand the device. Even with the help of the forum members own and better version of the manual.

Now I have two cactus v6II and when I have not used them for while it takes sometime to remember where all the settings are.
I dont know the experience of others though.

Culture.
04-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I wanted to buy their HSS trigger for my K-1 but their website no longer opens, anyone knows if they are still operational or it's game over for them?
If they are done, the only HSS option would be the Cactus 6 II?

website - acon-photo.com
I am in that boat too!!
Is Cactus really the only choice we have?
I have read, that Metz is going to offer a Metz WT-1 ofr P-TTL. I wrote Mestz and asked this. I'll post their answer here, if I get one :-)

Are Cactus flashes (RF60x) the best choice if I want multiple flashes to fire simultaneously and sync'ed?
Luckily they are rather inexpensive, compared to Metz and Pentax :-)

04-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #20

Metz have replied to my question about flash triggers for Pentax: (No plans for supporting P-TTL triggers:
(Fantastic service - very quick answer -same day !!!

Dear Mr. Bladt,

Many thanks for your e-mail as of 03. April 2018.

Unfortunately the Wireless Trigger WT-1 isn’t available as version for Pentax. At the moment we offer this Wireless trigger only as versions for Canon, Nikon and Sony. If a version for Pentax will be developed in the future isn’t decided at the moment. However, if we have some news about such version we will inform you.

We regret that we are unable to give you a more positive reply at the moment and remain

with best regards

i.A. Roland Lämmermann
Service Department
04-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
Is Cactus really the only choice we have?
Phottix have announced a trigger for Pentax. You could have a look at what speedlight models (which are compatible to the announced trigger) they offer. If I remember correctly, there were only one or two models to choose from.
06-14-2018, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #22

They are now acon-tech - wonderful photography

06-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
They are now acon-tech - wonderful photography
Awesome!

I hope this time they remember to renew their domain name on time.
06-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
Now that is an interesting turn. BTW...be careful with their links. I clicked one for more information on other model compatibility and my browser went to someplace other than a legitimate Web site (as in "Danger Will Robinson"). Methinks not all is healthy on their server.

Steve
06-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Methinks not all is healthy on their server.
The site (including job openings) appears to be extremely similar to the wayback machine's cached copy from May 2017. Both sites say they are under construction.

As I noted in the comment above, I was shunted off-site when I clicked a link that worked just fine on wayback cache. I would use caution and definitely not order from this site until its legitimacy can be confirmed.

Steve
06-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #26

The site (including job openings) appears to be extremely similar to the wayback machine's cached copy from May 2017. Both sites say they are under construction.

As I noted in the comment above, I was shunted off-site when I clicked a link that worked just fine on wayback cache. I would use caution and definitely not order from this site until its legitimacy can be confirmed.

Steve
If you take the broken link and type in the correct domain (acon-tech vs acon-photo) it works fine:
compatability - acon-tech

acon-photo.com looks like has been taken over by one of those domain squatter companies.
06-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you take the broken link and type in the correct domain (acon-tech vs acon-photo) it works fine:
compatability - acon-tech

acon-photo.com looks like has been taken over by one of those domain squatter companies.
Cool! I had errands to run and and was going to try that when I got back home.

Steve
06-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I would use caution and definitely not order from this site until its legitimacy can be confirmed.
The Acon store does PayPal, FWIW. I can't remember if they always had that option. Provides a modicum of buyer protection.
06-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is good news but I think I will wait for more reports.