Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

What's a good backpack for K1 + notebook?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I got a K-1 with a 28-105 two weeks ago and just realized that the two CaseLogic bags I have (originally purchased for the K-5 and 18-135) are a bit too small for it. The K-1 will not even go into the CaseLogic SLRC-205, and it is very tight in the SLRC-206. An Amazon reviewer said that the suspension system in SLRC-206 does not work for a full-frame camera at all, and had to remove it.

The draw for me for the CaseLogic bags is the suspension system itself, plus the fact that I can easily open the top to grab the camera (not to mention they are built well and don't cost a lot). I have traveled to several countries with the SLRC-206, which allowed me to store my K-5 with a lens, K-01, Q-S1 + spare lenses, batteries.. and a notebook. Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar bag that would allow me to do the same thing with a K-1?

I've already looked around the forum for similar suggestions but haven't seen anything that might work. In this thread What is a good camera bag for K-1 and three lenses?, the LowePro Sling 100 AW was mentioned, but it's a little too big, doesn't hold a notebook, and more importantly, doesn't allow me to take the camera out of the top of the bag when I'm cramped in the seats in the economy section of the plane :-)

02-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure you want it on your back? I prefer messenger bag, and some are big enough for laptop. Kind of depends on size of your laptop, as well. Big difference between 14" and 17"
02-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always store the camera in a camera bag on my stomach / chest.
example: Adventura SH 100 II | Lowepro
In the photo bag I have lenses etc.
So, if you buy a camera bag, you may have room for all.
02-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Funny you should ask. Yesterday afternoon I spent sometime at my local Henry's trying to find something that would fit my K-3 with a grip and my 12.9" iPad pro and have it not look like I am a turtle trying to carry everything I own with me. Unfortunately, I left empty handed. It will be interesting to see what suggestions others have.

02-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Funny I just got a new Evercase backpack yesterday, I posted a review on here under Accessories. A lot less money than some offered and appears to be well made! Laptop is a 15" and adds a bit of weight!
Evercase Evercase Professional Large DSLR Camera and 15.6-inch Laptop Backpack w/Rai reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by SharkyCA; 02-03-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: More info
02-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hope this helps

when ever I buy a back pack I first look for features that makes the pack useful for carrying the load such as

waist straps
The majority of a backpack's weight, 80 percent or more, should be supported by your hips.

Load Lifter Straps
These are stitched into the top of the shoulder straps, and they connect to the top of the pack frame. Ideally, they will form a 45° angle between your shoulder straps and the pack. Kept snug (but not too tight), they prevent the upper portion of a pack from pulling away from your body, which would cause the pack to sag on your lumbar region.

Sternum Strap
This mid-chest strap allows you to connect your shoulder straps, which can boost your stability. It can be useful to do so when traveling on uneven cross-country terrain where an awkward move could cause your pack to shift abruptly and throw you off-balance.

I look at what my intent is with the back pack

am I intending on carrying kit onto an air plane

Carry-On Size Chart: 170+ Airlines - Travel Made Simple

will it be stored under the seat ahead of me or in the overhead bin?

am I using it to carry kit from A to B

how far

what type of terrain?

walking around a city or serious back packing/hiking

from room to car

car to where

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have accumulated the following collection as my needs and the amount of kit has changed and I use which ever one fits my purpose at the time

Lowepro Fastpack BP 150AW II

Lowepro Flipside 400AW Backpack

Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack

reviews here

Backpacks - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far - I'll check out each one of them see and see which might work.

Actually, the notebook I have is a tiny one. I initially had a 13" macbook but as my gear increased (there's that GAS again!), I moved to a hybrid tablet/keyboard combo that's 12" in size. My full CaseLogic 206C is under 10 lbs, as per airline requirements, which helps me to decide what to bring or not bring. Outside of airports and airplanes, I do use it when I'm out and about sans the tablet and the batteries/ charger/ extra lenses. I also use a walkabout shoulder sling bag when I'm out in the town doing street photography, so what I'm looking for is definitely not a one-size-fits-all solution for all occasions.

I guess I should have initially said "a bag for traveling" - taking it through airports, and having it close to me under the seat, and when I'm at the airport or on the bus/train/boat, it's on my back. Forgot to add link to the bag I'm using now - https://www.amazon.ca/Case-Logic-SLRC-206-15-4-Inch-Backpack/dp/B002DW99H8 It's actually a very nice one.

@bigted - yeah adding a grip doesn't help at all. I've actually stopped bringing my camera grips with me when I travel solely due to weight and size considerations - it's one of the compromises I make.

Last edited by drewski; 02-03-2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added link to the 206C
02-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I use Peak Design's Messenger bag quite a lot, rather than a back pack, it can take a laptop and is very versatile. Their Back Pack is also worth a look if it is a backpack you want. These have been reviewed on this forum.
I also use the Kata 3-N-1 backpacks (large and small) because lenses seem to be more snug in them. The larger takes laptops. These are very versatile offering side access and a clever strap arrangement. They were taken over by Manfrotto who have altered the design, and in my view made it unnecessarily complicated.
There's still a lot to be said for the simple Pentax K shoulder bag, which can take a tablet or small laptop and works well with the K-1 and D-FA 28-105 plus primes - often it's all I want, nice and simple. It's only available use now, pity.
02-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. It is great for under the seat in front of me during airline travel, and it accommodates equipment well with a sturdy but well padded design. I do not pack a laptop, so I am not sure what sizes it would accommodate.
02-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tamrac expedition 6x

If you can find it the 6x holds quiet a lot of stuff. Wears well on the back. I currently have it loaded with my K3 Silver edition with grip, 60-250, 50-135, wr 100, 1.4 tele converter, 70, 55, metz 58af2 and cables, remote shutter release, batter charger (2x) and probably some stuff I have forgotten. More than I want to walk around with but it makes the perfect place to store my gear when not in use. I also have some older shoulder bags that hold the rest of my camera gear. I have had it quiet a few years and it has held up well. Might be able to find on ebay.
It does have a dedicated space for a laptop .

Good luck.

Last edited by Mr. Ed; 02-03-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add additional info.
02-04-2018, 02:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

get an f-stop backpack (smallest version is a good start) and adjust the interior to your camera needs. you always need more space while travelling, so an adjustable backpack is rather nice.
f-stop Guru UL fits K1 in bascially any ICU combination.
02-04-2018, 05:26 AM   #12

I swear by my Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW. I've had it for 8 years and don't think I'll ever need a replacement for it. It's been with me all over the world and looks today just like it did on the day I bought it. It's virtually indestructible. I carry a Pentax K-3ii body, 6-7 lenses, 2 flash units, an array of filters, batteries and other paraphernalia, it can take a 15" laptop (I don't carry one), it has Sliplock loops in case you want to attach more pockets on the outside, it has a built-in waterproof cover. I recommend it highly. Lowepro has in the meantime replaced it with an AW II model which I'm not familiar with.
02-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #13

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I forgot about the Tamrac back pack I have. It might suit your needs. It's called an Evolution 8. I've had it a while - although it doesn't get much use - I use it when I'm traveling and planning to use a lot of gear, so I am not sure if it is still in production. Here's a review I found of it (basically for the photos so you can see what it is): Tamrac Evolution 8 Review

I was looking for something I could use daily so I can carry my K-3 with a grip and my 12.9" iPad Pro. I found this on Amazon.ca this morning and I've ordered it to see if it is what I am looking for. Amazon's return policy makes it easy to return something if it doesn't fit the bill: https://www.amazon.ca/Camera-Evecase-Canvas-Vintage-Messenger/dp/B00VSZWP18/...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have a smaller backpack by the same company that I used to take my kit to Alaska this past August. It is smaller than the Evolution. But managed to haul all the gear I took on that trip. It isn't as structured at the Evolution and doesn't offer the same level of protection:https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NAQANTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
02-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

These Thule backpacks are very well made.

The Lowepro Photosport series is a decent pack as well for traveling small with good ergonomics.
02-05-2018, 01:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Naneu Pro K4L