Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cactus V6 Questions

I have several flashes and am considering buying the Cactus V6 product after reading about it in other threads, but I'm not that familiar with it.

Right now, I guess have two main questions:

What is the difference between the V6 and the V6II (the latter of which costs about twice as much)?

In the sales listing for the V6, it is listed as a V6 single. What does the "single" refer to?

Thanks

02-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The V6 is what I have. I can't explain the V6II because I haven't paid it much attention yet. The V6 Single refers to a SINGLE V6 transceiver. To fire a flash you need TWO of these (one on camera in TX mode and one on flash in RX mode UNLESS you own the Cactus flash that includes the transceiver functionality.

The V6 (not V6II) allows me to use any compatible Analog TTL flash to create pseudo manual control across multiple brands of flashes. Essentially I can setup my Cactus, my Canon compatible Sigma and a Pentax flash using a single set of flash triggers all manually controlled from a distance - and in up to 4 groups. It's very useful for precise control. What it does not do:

HSS, P-TTL

You can do pass through P-TTL if I recall but no remote TTL and I don't think any HSS but maybe some pseudo trick like HSS but I don't recall.

The V6II added HSS for sure - not clear on what else and what the limitations are for Pentax HSS. Many brands are cross brand HSS compatible with Cactus V6II HSS but I think Pentax is not. I'm not sure that you retain the features of the V6 units with the V6II either.
02-04-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think that's all mostly correct. You can mix and match the V6 with V6II, but only when using the "crossbrand" firmware, and you will be limited to Manual power control.

With V6II units you can choose to have the X-TTL firmware, giving TTL plus HSS, but only with Pentax dedicated system type flashes, or the Cactus RF60/x.
02-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #4

Even just for the HSS imo its worth it

02-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks. That's great information. With the flashes I have, I don't see too many advantages other than RF slave control and HSS (with the V6II) so I think I'll hold off on a Cactus (pair) for now - maybe go with the V6II in the future.

I didn't think of your flash guide mcgregni, which I have, so will do some reading there also.

Really appreciate the input.
02-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Its no doubt a good idea to wait and be absolutely sure what modes and functions you need for your particular planned flash photos. If you do mainly static studio sort of stuff in Manual mode and don't need HSS, then the cheaper V6 is a good choice. If you also need a new flash or two then their own RF60/x model is ideal, as the V6 Receiver is built in, plus you get remote power and flash head zoom from the V6 transmitter. For other P-TTL type flashes then its just remote power control. It depends on what you currently have and if it makes sense to give those flashes a new life and extend their uses, and extra V6 units as receivers are not too expensive.

I accept that building a P-TTL / HSS multi flash system using multiple V6II units is not a 'budget' choice at all. Again, if anyone needs flashes also to build a system for this extra functionality, then getting the Cactus RF60/x flashes makes even more sense ... (with a V6II this now offers, in additional to remote power and zoom, AF Assist from the slaves and V6II Tx, plus of course TTL, HSS and 2nd Curtain Sync modes). The RF60x model offers a cooling control feature plus multi-flash and 'Power-Sync' capabilities as extras. I wrote a review of this particular set-up in the Review section here ...... Cactus V6II & RF60/x 'X-TTL' reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The Supplement to my 'Guide' has a detailed overview of the main flash system categories, and basic info on the main product examples within each, and the next main update to this will have to be the X-TTL firmware release for Pentax .....https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/1/p1634/Supplement%20to%2...une%202017.pdf

This has really changed the game for Radio P-TTL choices for us, as indeed the recent Cononmark release may do for TTL Studio Strobe shooters.
03-05-2018, 03:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The V6II added HSS for sure - not clear on what else and what the limitations are for Pentax HSS.
There are no limitations regarding HSS (in both the "multi-brand" and the "X-TTL" firmware variants for the V6II).

Many brands are cross brand HSS compatible with Cactus V6II HSS but I think Pentax is not.
The "multi-brand" firmware variant for the V6II allows one to fire all sorts of HSS flash models from brands such a Canon, Nikon and more with one's Pentax camera.

The "X-TTL" firmware variant for the V6II supports full P-TTL (not just HSS) and in this case one is limited to flashes that support the Pentax P-TTL system and Cactus flashes (RF60 and soon RQ250).

I'm not sure that you retain the features of the V6 units with the V6II either.
The V6II's features are mostly a superset of the V6's features, but not quite.

One loses support for some flash models that only support analogue TTL (e.g., Nikon SB-24). One also loses the ability to shoot without a pre-flash delay and/or visible pre-flash. For someone who has absolutely no HSS aspirations, I'd say the V6 is the better choice (not only because of the price difference).

For anyone toying with the idea of using HSS, the V6II is most likely the better choice. There are workarounds for the V6 regarding situations that can benefit from HSS, such as using ND filter or workaround HSS triggering methods, but the native HSS support by the V6II is significantly more convenient.

P.S.: I guess the "Flashes, Lighting, and Studio" forum is the appropriate place for lighting related gear/accessories.