Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #1

Seeking correct power cord for TR Power Pack-2

I just bought a TR Power Pack-2 to use this with my AF-540 flash unit.

The AF-540 manual says that it can't used with the Power Pack-2 for "mechanical reasons." However, some blogger says that the Power Pack 3 (which can be used with the AF-540) uses the same power connector as the Power Pack 2. Furthermore, they determined that the Power Pack 2 can, in fact, work with the AF-540.

My only questions are: what cord should I use and where might I find it.

I notice that the flash unit has a spot for a power connector as well as a five-pin connector. Could I use the five pin connector cord (example) as pictured in one of the attached photos to connect to the Power Pack 2 or would I have to use the power cord that's pictured in the Power Pack 2 instruction manual?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Attached Images

02-06-2018, 02:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd use the one that came with the flash. I have the TR pack III for the AF-540 FTZ and I've just checked and the cord also fits the AF-500 FTZ that the TR Pack II was designed for.

Regards

Chris
02-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure I used the TRII with my AF540 using the cord that came with the TRII but I cannot be certain.

Here's an article that seems to indicate no differences - note that he modified his unit to make it easier to use a longer cord. Also I have read many many times to avoid NiCads the low internal resistance allows them to pump too much current and melt (Literally) the unit. You would need to heavily modify the unit to permit high duty cycles by upgrading the wires and internal parts and then even the springs from what I recall reading.

Modifying Pentax TR Power Pack: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here's another article that talks about the possible danger of melting the unit:
Pentax TR Power Pack & II & III, I'm surprised ... - PentaxForums.com

Best advice is use more flash units and perhaps pick up the JJC unit that uses AA's.
02-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Read this:

Pentax TR Power Pack 2 Multilation

Note that the 5-pin port on the flash is NOT for external power supply.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-06-2018 at 01:41 PM.
02-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I recall the 5 pin connector is for sync. You can connect to a hot shoe adapter or a port that is compatible to get full P-TTL function off camera:

amazon.com : Pentax F5P 9.5-Foot Extension Cord for Pentax Flash Units : Camera Flashes : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It is NOT for power.
02-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
I'd use the one that came with the flash. I have the TR pack III for the AF-540 FTZ and I've just checked and the cord also fits the AF-500 FTZ that the TR Pack II was designed for.

Regards

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

Do you happen to know what that cord is called? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

---------- Post added 02-06-18 at 06:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm pretty sure I used the TRII with my AF540 using the cord that came with the TRII but I cannot be certain.

Here's an article that seems to indicate no differences - note that he modified his unit to make it easier to use a longer cord. Also I have read many many times to avoid NiCads the low internal resistance allows them to pump too much current and melt (Literally) the unit. You would need to heavily modify the unit to permit high duty cycles by upgrading the wires and internal parts and then even the springs from what I recall reading.

Modifying Pentax TR Power Pack: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here's another article that talks about the possible danger of melting the unit:
Pentax TR Power Pack & II & III, I'm surprised ... - PentaxForums.com

Best advice is use more flash units and perhaps pick up the JJC unit that uses AA's.
Thanks for that information. I don't think I'm set up to do those upgrades to the battery pack but I have no issue using alkaline batteries so I should be fine with this item if I can locate the darn plug.
02-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nathaniel C Quote
I can't seem to find it anywhere online.
Unfortunately, that cable was difficult to find as replacement part, even when the TR-2 and TR-3 were still in production. Now that they are discontinued, it's even more difficult.
02-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Unfortunately, that cable was difficult to find as replacement part, even when the TR-2 and TR-3 were still in production. Now that they are discontinued, it's even more difficult.
Yikes! You gotta love proprietary cables...