Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2018, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strap safety

To me, the weakest area of a strap is where it attaches to the camera itself. My strap uses a cord to attach to the camera. I was concerned one of these may someday break, so rigged this up as a safety measure. Used some extra leather I had on hand, and ran it thru the ring on the camera thru an area on the straps. This leather is so soft, that it doesn't get in the way at all.

Any other suggestions, you might want to share here, that you've done?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
02-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a great idea, Carol. Looks very secure indeed.

Like you, I use the Op/Tech straps, and really like them. I don't have any additional security measures where the system connectors attach to the camera, but I do use the velcro "Secure-Its" where the strap attaches to the system connectors, as I find it difficult to fully trust the click-together Quick Disconnects, no matter how secure they feel Plus, if I've got anything other than a small prime lens fitted to the camera, I'm in the habit of supporting the weight with my left hand as I walk around. As such, I very rarely have the whole weight of the camera and lens pulling on the strap...
02-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike! Yes, that's why is secured above the Quick-Disconnects; because I also don't trust them, although I've never had one open/break on me.

Most of my photography is with large lenses, so like you; I always support the lens weight, rather than the camera. This "fix" may be totally unnecessary, but it does give me peace of mind; so I guess that makes it worthwhile.
02-06-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
This "fix" may be totally unnecessary, but it does give me peace of mind; so I guess that makes it worthwhile.
No, I think you're absolutely right to do something like that. You've got me thinking about it too, now... There's only so much weight a strap is designed to take

02-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the optechusa system: the utility strap

https://optechusa.com/utility-strap-sling.html

and like how it loops through the attachment ring

and I use this

https://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-hand-strap-with-ultraplate

on the same side

and usually have my hand through the grip as I walk along

on the other side i have rigged this:

Camera Safety tether for backup protection

which I thread through and use the d ring to attach to the Optech utility sling as a back up

you could also try to attach it to a tripod foot and then attach it to the sling

there are also these, but I have never tried any of them:

Lens Support Adaptor - additional support for heavy lenses | OP/TECH USA

Lens Loops - System Connector | OP/TECH USA
02-06-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My version is to knot some fishing line using the same path that Carol's used. Flexible, strong and really don't notice it. In fact I use this method in several places to back up those quick-release catches which I don't need as quick release.

Use these too https://optechusa.com/secure-its.html
02-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm using an Optech sling strap, which has 2 connectors. If one fails, the camera is still attached to the strap.

With most other straps, including the default neck trap, if one connector fails, the whole system fails.

Most of the times I use the "hand strap" configuration as in the second photo.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-06-2018 at 02:53 PM.
02-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
My version is to knot some fishing line using the same path that Carol's used. Flexible, strong and really don't notice it. In fact I use this method in several places to back up those quick-release catches which I don't need as quick release.

Use these too Secure-Its - System Connectors | OP/TECH USA
nice idea

but I have never learned how to tie a knot in fishing line that I trust to hold

any thoughts or diagrams on what to how to tie one?

I would use that method to tie off my long heavy lenses DFA * 70-200mm and D FA 150-450mm via the tripod foot
02-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
nice idea

but I have never learned how to tie a knot in fishing line that I trust to hold

any thoughts or diagrams on what to how to tie one?

I would use that method to tie off my long heavy lenses DFA * 70-200mm and D FA 150-450mm via the tripod foot
Could try something like this: Blood Knot - How to tie a Blood Knot | Fishing Knots and then double it up in some way by going back over it. I'm sure there are some fisher folk around who might advise on better knots.
02-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

To me, the weakest area of a strap is where it attaches to the camera itself. My strap uses a cord to attach to the camera. I was concerned one of these may someday break, so rigged this up as a safety measure. Used some extra leather I had on hand, and ran it thru the ring on the camera thru an area on the straps. This leather is so soft, that it doesn't get in the way at all.

Any other suggestions, you might want to share here, that you've done?
with this lens I would fix it at the lens not at the camera. It may damage (discalibrate) the bajonet when used to long because of the swinging of the whole system.
02-06-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
with this lens I would fix it at the lens not at the camera. It may damage (discalibrate) the bajonet when used to long because of the swinging of the whole system.
Not quite sure what you mean. If you mean allowing the camera and heavy lens to swing freely from the strap, this is something I never do. I always have the lens in hand when picking up/putting down, and especially when walking with it. If I attached something to the lens, then I would have to undo it each time I changed lenses. My "fix" is simply a safeguard in case the strap cord at either side of the camera breaks, the camera won't fall.
02-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
With most other straps, including the default neck trap, if one connector fails, the whole system fails.
That is exactly why I decided to add this fix to my outfit. Where I ran the leather thru the top of the connector, I feel is the strongest part of the connector itself.
02-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do have the OpTech lens support adapter Allen, but it's very awkward walking around with a long lens in that position, at least for me. I prefer having the camera hanging down, while I support the lens, by holding the tripod foot on my long lens. Much less likely to bump the lens.
02-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have the OpTech lens support adapter Allen, but it's very awkward walking around with a long lens in that position, at least for me. I prefer having the camera hanging down, while I support the lens, by holding the tripod foot on my long lens. Much less likely to bump the lens.
thanks for telling me of your experience

I wasn't recommending it, just iding it as an option

I had thought about getting one but I was thinking about the problem you relate

could it work in some fashion by attaching it to a tripod foot as a security measure as opposed to put it on the lens barrel???
02-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
thanks for telling me of your experience

I wasn't recommending it, just iding it as an option

I had thought about getting one but I was thinking about the problem you relate

could it work in some fashion by attaching it to a tripod foot as a security measure as opposed to put it on the lens barrel???
Allen, I believe it could, but since it attaches to the strap, if there's a failure of the strap somewhere, it wouldn't help.