Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pretty good

I used mine for years with my K-3 and a variety of lenses and it worked pretty well. While versatile I found too many situations where I could not use and get the picture I wanted so I progressed to a very lightweight travel tripod. The Gorillapod is not the easiest item to pack and travel with. I'm very happy using the tripod and it's pretty easy to travel with. I also take two pieces 3/4 inch foam to use when I want to set the camera down on a surface and that works well too. I have no complaints with this combo of the lightweight tripod and foam. I never take the Gorillapod anywhere now.

02-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #17

I use my backpack as a tripod sometimes.. Does that count?
02-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I guess It is depended on how you use it and what you are using with.

I use Gorillapod quite often with K-3 and one of the heaviest lens attached is FA50 macro. it is a tank and quite heavy for a 50mm lens. No problem using with DFA100 wr too.

But, but, but it is also used with a ball head + L-bracket
and I avoid doing acrobatic orientation. something like.. hang it upside down on a tree branch with a K-3. If you use a heavy body like K-5, K3, do not try to take portrait orientated photo without an L-bracket too.

another annoying problem with the Gorillapod.
The Gorillapod's plastic legs are well... plastic, and each joint can be cracked. Once it is clicked, it will be lousy. I got at less one crack in almost every joint! there are youtube tutorials show how to fix it without losing it flexibility. but they use paper, I use a sheet of plastic and rubber glue which work very well for me.

besides that, I am happy with my Gorillapod and use it quite often on my night cityscape photos.

I can't say it more convenient or better than a typical tripod, but for sure, it lighter than full side tripod and more flexible than fix legs mini-tripod.
For example, something like this. It is a dirty, 3-4 cm thick high glass wall in front of me. doing long exposure on top of a thin glass wall like that will need either a Gorillapod or a clamp.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 02-18-2018 at 03:42 PM.
02-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I'm looking for a travel tripod, something that will not take up much weight or space in my bag when I go to Europe this summer.

I like the versatility of being able to wrap the Joby around objects, but is it just a gimmick?

I've read a lot already about the older versions failing... can I expect the newer 5K model to be much better?

B&H has a deal on the Focus model which was replaced by the 5K recently.
I guess I could just get the used Focus and see how it goes. If it doesn't feel right return it?

Are there better options for travel/table top tripods that would be as versatile?

I'd be shooting with a K-3ii and just picked up a 16-85 for the trip.
Also will have the 100mmWR and a DA15 with me. Just to gauge the weight and size of the gear I'd be using on the tripod.
I have an older GorillaPod model:I think it's the SLR Zoom. It worked well for what it did. I took it on a few vacations and used it quite a bit around and about at home. I found it to be very useful tabletop tripod and a few times used the wrap around ability on railings and such. I found that when wrapping around a railing or some other object it wasn't the most stable thing in the world, mostly because I could not splay the legs to get a good grab on another object to stabilize it. So I would end up holding it so my camera wouldn't fall or slip.

Looking back on it, because I don't use it that much anymore, I found it to be not as easy to pack as I would have liked and that other than using it on a table top or a ledge or the top of a trash can in urban environments I wasn't using the real flexible capabilities of the tripod. So eventually I ended up getting a Manfroto Pixi Evo 2 not sure about the word order but it's the second version of the Pixi tripod. I also added a Desmond ARCA Swiss compatible top plate. And this one definitely fits the bill for me for a tabletop tripod: it holds my KP or K1 with lens and it's small and light and easily fits in my backpack or my messenger bag. While I cannot wrap it around anything I realize I don't really use that function, so it's not a negative for me. And for the lenses I use for traveling it works just fine. Any tabletop tripod is a compromise. Actually all tripods are, in one way or another you just have to be sure that it works for what you want to do.

02-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have the Focus+Ballhead-X, the SLR-zoom, a smaller 'hybrid' gorillapod.

Ballhead-X: Quite sturdy for its size. Holds my k5iis+da14mm with dignity (slightly lighter that the OP's combo).

Gorillapod Focus: These legs are robust. No problems for me freestanding or clamped onto rails/posts. There will almost always be some slack when clamping to things, ultra-precise aiming is next to impossible, the ballhead-x is pretty much required here. I've never had it let go, but I still always loop the camera strap (with slack) as an extra safety. Combined with the ballhead, it's pretty hefty.

SLR-zoom: I use this on its own attached to the camera as a ground-pod. It works pretty well for low mushrooms/plants/forest things, or table top work. Again, the aiming won't be very precise but with the legs splayed you can get quite low. I won't use this size clamped to a rail to hold my dslr. This is my go-to lightweight device for holding an off-camera flash in odd locations.

Gorillapod Hybrid: Good for P&S or a flash.

I've always thought they were a little pricey, I happened to win all mine in various photo-contests. I'm not sure I would replace them or not if they fail, but I have gotten a fair bit of use out of the larger two.
02-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Rifle Style Mount StediStock II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

made in Texas, originally designed for video cameras

Might be an option as a shoulder brace instead of a tripod or monopod,

it is designed to mate with a monopod if you want

It comes with a single attachment point and if you are using it with a large lens which has a tripod foot with 2 attachment points you might want to contact them to see if they might be able to add another attachment point or modify it yourself

For me, the length of the stock is a little short so I added to it myself

I used my self modified one in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NATIONAL NP with a K 3 and D FA 150-450 zoom

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-18-2018 at 02:23 PM.
02-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Rifle Style Mount StediStock II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

made in Texas, originally designed for video cameras

Might be an option as a shoulder brace instead of a tripod or monopod,

it is designed to mate with a monopod if you want

It comes with a single attachment point and if you are using it with a large lens which has a tripod foot with 2 attachment points you might want to contact them to see if they might be able to add another attachment point or modify it yourself

For me, the length of the stock is a little short so I added to it myself

I used my self modified one in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NATIONAL NP with a K 3 and D FA 150-450 zoom

That is pretty cool.
Just make sure you use it in appropriate settings!
I wouldn't want law enforcement officers to mistake my camera as a rifle and "neutralize" me...

02-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

That is pretty cool.
Just make sure you use it in appropriate settings!
I wouldn't want law enforcement officers to mistake my camera as a rifle and "neutralize" me...
Once you put a camera and lens on it no problem
Otherwise it does look like a skeleton stock if you squint but if you look, no way to mount barrel, trigger or magazine
02-20-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In case anyone was curious...
Ended up buying a Moman Mini Tripod

I posted another thread on it here
This thing is really awesome.. just sitting around the house I find myself taking more pictures because I can just set it up and do some long exposures or macro without pulling out the full size tripod.
02-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

In case anyone was curious...
Ended up buying a Moman Mini Tripod

I posted another thread on it here
This thing is really awesome.. just sitting around the house I find myself taking more pictures because I can just set it up and do some long exposures or macro without pulling out the full size tripod.
That looks like very nice little pod, and you can still strap it to stuff.
02-23-2018, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Couldn't resist -- bought one too (the Moman). Nice piece of engineering.
02-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Couldn't resist -- bought one too (the Moman). Nice piece of engineering.
Haha nice!
I love it! The design is so simple and the construction is very solid.

Using a mini tripod has really opened up some interesting photo opportunities.
Even just sitting it on the table, there are endless macro subjects within arms reach!