Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dead Flucard?

I should have known better but I decided to give the flucard another try. Adorama had a used one which I purchased. I suspect it is defective but I want to be sure before going through the hassle of return. When placed in slot 2 the card beeps as expected and the wifi icon appears on the lcd. However, after a while the icon disappears and does not leave the grayed out icon as expected. In the menu it shows the flucard is on but does not show a ssid, MAC address or firmware version. My phone finds no flucard wifi hotspot. I decided to try a firmware update. everything went as expected except the files remained on the card (they should be deleted as part of the update process) and nothing changed in the operation of the flucard. The camera writes files to the card without problems. It probably does not matter but the card seems to have been used in a 645z by the original owner. Any idea about what i am missing? I have read the setup instructions (on PF and on the ricoh pdf) carefully several times. Any help appreciated. I have owned the Flucard before and never found it very useful but I would like to play with it a little now.

Oh, I forgot to mention I am using it in a K-3II.

02-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The first question I have to ask, is what kind of operating system do you have on your phone, and what make and model of phone is it (this is more specific to android as there are multiple brands when their own U.I.)?

Depending on the model of phone, there may be a limitation in the WIFI settings causing the issue.

On my K-3 the wireless icon will disappear after a period of time of no connectivity, so i wouldn't worry about that.
02-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your thoughts. It is not the phone. The Flucard wifi does not show up on my computer either. Moreover, the card does not show the SSID or MAC Address in the wifi menu as it should. It also does not list the firmware version. According to the Ricoh firmware update instructions the files I put on the card should disappear after the update but they do not although there is a full minute of buzzing. I fear there is something wrong with the card. I have formatted it without luck. I have had flucards in the past and, although they are clunky, I never had trouble getting them to work. Thanks again for your thoughts, the phone could have been an issue but my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 works just fine with other hotspots like the K-1 and Sony cameras.
02-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would agree it's the flu card. I hope all goes smoothly if you decide to return it.

02-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have asked Adorama for a return. They will not get back to me until tomorrow or Monday but they have always been easy to deal with when there is a problem. Thanks for your effort to help. Sometimes an apparent problem can be fixed but not with this one.