Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking for case for Pentax FA 80-200 f2.8......

I have a Pentax FA 8-200 f2.8 I bought used a long time ago. I never had a proper soft case for it and doubt the Pentax OEM one "S120-230" is around anymore.

Any suggestions for an alternative would be appreciated.

I also lost the hood and had to modify a new one from using a post from this site, but would grab an original hood for it if anyone knew of a used one for sale, part number "PH-RBC77".

Its probably a waste buy parts for this lens, but i still really like it a lot and use it for HS foot balls games.

02-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mapguy Quote
Its probably a waste buy parts for this lens
Why? Its reputation is excellent.

As for a case, I'm guessing Lowepro and Think Tank are your two best bets. Simply measure it, including your modified hood, and find the closest match.
02-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just because they have a newer version, and I have seen the used prices dropping on it. I just kind of assumed it was because the newer version is better.

I usually get caught up keeping up old things, when often I should just sell them and upgrade. If an original hood cost me $400, would I be better off selling the lens and buying a newer version?

I enjoy the hunt for this stuff, so will keep looking for the original pentax parts :-)

But that is all I was getting at.
02-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Observation and recommendation. Soft cases supplied with Pentax lenses are really poorly designed = only useful for storage or padding in a suitcase. Look for something from Tenba, Lowepro, Tamrac, Ruggard etc. THAT HAS ATTACHMENTS FOR A SHOULDER STRAP. That used to be standard for even tiny cases. The little rigid case for my 28mm Takumar purchased back in the 1970's came with a skinny shoulder strap, and a separate case for the rectangular hood that had a tight loop on the back so it could be attached to that shoulder strap as well. I say PHOOEY to the new design.

02-16-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Mapguy,

I have a couple S120-230's, one well used and one nearly new.

Note these cases are not standard pouch type wrap cases. This is a poly reinforced tube case with metal rivet holding the tube together. It has a polarizer pouch in the lid and very heavy duty metal strap lugs. The strap itself has metal clip swivel buckles. Anyone who disses this case has never seen nor used one. By far better than what you'll find aftermarket. The one holding my FA*80-200 has been in continuous use since the mid-90's and non-the worse for wear. The FA*200 Macro comes in a similar case but a touch smaller. That case is still in fabulous shape as well with use since 2000.

I'm out of the office until Monday afternoon and won't be able to find my original costs and get pics to you or anything until that time. I'll reserve it for you until we can figure out a deal that we both like. I hate to say it, but I recall paying about $90 for it, ouch! Of course, it's worth much less now!

Note that the $46 metal swivel clip strap I bought for my big Quantum Turbo battery is whimpy compared to the Pentax strap on this lens case. I use the Pentax strap for the battery!

Contact me in a few days and we'll continue this discussion
02-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yea Id be interested, I sent you a PM, have a good weekend
02-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The brand Newswear makes simple lens pouches for large zooms. This one accommodates the lens with hood attached.
02-19-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mapguy Quote
Just because they have a newer version, and I have seen the used prices dropping on it. I just kind of assumed it was because the newer version is better.
Just for the record... simply because a newer lens is out (which can be better, indeed) does not change how the older lens performs. It remains just as good as it ever was.