Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 L Bracket Options

I know this has been addressed in the past, but those threads are closed due to how old they are...

I'm looking for a K-3 Arca Swiss compatible L plate.
Body only, not worried about the grip.
I know there are a ton of generic options out there, and a few model specific options that run in the 150$ range.

Does an options exist where I can attach a sling point (peak design) and still have access to the battery door?
All for under $50?

Wishful thinking?

I found this: amazon.com : Desmond L Plate DAL-1 Quick Release Arca Swiss Compatible for Camera / Tripod Head : Camera L Bracket : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
It would allow access to the battery door as the long end on the bottom is only 82mm; however there is no sling attachment point.

Would I be best off just buying this and drilling a hole through the side for a sling attachment?

Or are there other options that I just haven't been able to find?

All of the generic models seem to have 100mm bases which would cover the battery door when flushed up against both sides.

Maybe this is just another downside for Pentaxians?

I see tons of options for Nikon/Sony

02-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, indeed making Pentax-specific accessories is a hiding to nothing, if making money is your thing.
Making do and adapting is probably the best course.
02-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use a 3 Legged Thing universal one. It is a little inconvenient as the battery door is partially covered but I carry a little tool on my key ring to loosen it and slide it out of the way if I need to get into it. The side slot is not enough to access the side door but I never use any of those inputs anyway so no real loss, at least for me.
02-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RRS makes a very nice bracket but it is very pricey. However, it appears that the RRS L bracket for the K-5 almost fits the K-3. I just bought one which had a small section filed down and it fits my K-3ii prefectly. The alternation does not show when the bracket is mounted. Here is a photo of the modified bracket to show what he did. It does not look this bad in person and you cannot see it when on the camera. Might be worth a try.

Attached Images

02-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have also been looking at L brackets. Why couldn't you get the long one and cut off enough so you can access the battery door? Would it become unstable?
02-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a plate without a lip, but the plate will not move if it is tight. The access to the battery door can be achieved by just loosening the D-Ring screw on the plate and moving the plate a small amount. I have used it on my K-5IIS and K-3II.

This is a shortcut to a plate (MPU100) that is similar to mine (below).

Universal MPU100 Quick Release L Plate Bracket for 75 c100623 m 1 | eBay
02-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #7

Second the 3 Legged Thing universal QR11-LC Universal L-Bracket. Blocks battery door and all the left side. But very few do not and many are double the price. It's very well made. Have one on a K50 and One on a K3 with battery grip.
02-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

I have a Kirk Enterprises L bracket that I bought for the K5, it fits the K3 perfectly without any modifications. Look for a used one as Kirk is sold out of new ones but it may not be under $50.

02-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I use SunwayFoto DPL-04 for both K3 and K1. I got mine when I purchased K3. If I were to buy today I will go with your choice.
02-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I went with the $20 DAL-1 Desmond L plate.

Iíll try to modify it somehow to attach a peak design anchor.
If that works I should be golden!

Thanks everyone for the input!

---------- Post added 02-16-18 at 11:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Second the 3 Legged Thing universal QR11-LC Universal L-Bracket. Blocks battery door and all the left side. But very few do not and many are double the price. It's very well made. Have one on a K50 and One on a K3 with battery grip.
I have some gea from 3LT and really am impressed by their work.
Unfortunately I would prefer one that I do not have to remove everytime I want to change batteries.