Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bruce I really think if you looked at this you'd find you don't need a clip or neck-strap to make a safe lens change. This a a short one that demos it.

02-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
1) The solution doesn't provide waterproofing, I felt the Camslinger provided a similar interface with the additional benefit of having protection from both bumps and splashes (I do shoot near waterfalls as well).
Correct, the Capture Clip leaves the camera "open". I've never seen a system, even a full bag, offering full access AND full protection.

2) The base plate stops me from using an L Plate or arcaswiss plate therefore I would likely be toggling the Peak Design clip on and off a fair bit thereby defeating it's purpose significantly.
EDIT EDIT EDIT: Ok so Peak Design Clips with arca swiss plates for release do exist. Cool. I dunno how in real practice tho how great these work, are they more fiddly, clip in and out with ease or actually significantly slow the whole process down with a good degree of frustration?
Yep, all of Peak Design's plates are Arca-Swiss compatible. They are the best plates I've used so far : thin, sturdy, grippy, they never swivel, each comes with an Allen wrench. I have three: one older model living on my 60-250, one "Pro" model living on my K-1 and one standard model (the one included with the strap) living on my K-3.
02-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am easily confused, just ask my sisters in law

I understand not wanting to set a lens down on the ground

But what prevents you from sitting down and using your lap to provide a place to put your lenses when you change them
02-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #19
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

What wrist straps are you guys using?
I'm actually using the neck strap as a wrist strap. I've found a way to wrap the strap three times around my wrist that gives me nice support both when carrying and when shooting. When not using it as a wrist strap I hang it over my shoulder.

The only time I'm using it as a neck strap is when I'm changing lenses - so I have sort of turned your issue around

I have tried different sling straps and hand straps, but even though they are better at the one thing they do they suck at everything else. My life became less complicated when I accepted that, while the original strap may not be excellent at anything, it's still way more versatile than all the fancy stuff.

02-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm actually using the neck strap as a wrist strap. I've found a way to wrap the strap three times around my wrist that gives me nice support both when carrying and when shooting. When not using it as a wrist strap I hang it over my shoulder.

The only time I'm using it as a neck strap is when I'm changing lenses - so I have sort of turned your issue around

I have tried different sling straps and hand straps, but even though they are better at the one thing they do they suck at everything else. My life became less complicated when I accepted that, while the original strap may not be excellent at anything, it's still way more versatile than all the fancy stuff.
Since I discovered the Capture Clip, I almost completely stopped using neck straps. I have clips on my three main bags (sling, messenger, backpack). I made a hand strap with two Peak Design anchor clips and still use their neck/sling strap from time to time (mostly when I use my 60-250). Using Peak Design's system (or any system allowing versatility and reconfigurability, such as Op/Tech, etc) makes many things so much easier.
02-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the B-Grip travel kit; that includes a cover that goes over camera and lens (about 10" long).

B-Grip B-Grip Travel Kit BGRTRVLK B&H Photo Video
02-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #22
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Since I discovered the Capture Clip, I almost completely stopped using neck straps. I have clips on my three main bags (sling, messenger, backpack). I made a hand strap with two Peak Design anchor clips and still use their neck/sling strap from time to time (mostly when I use my 60-250). Using Peak Design's system (or any system allowing versatility and reconfigurability, such as Op/Tech, etc) makes many things so much easier.
Ah, yes, I forgot to say that I hardly have any big lenses at all (and in my world the 60-250 is big). That influences what I deem "good enough". I might change my mind should I ever get hold of something like a Sigma 100-300/4 as a travel lens.

02-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I am easily confused, just ask my sisters in law

I understand not wanting to set a lens down on the ground

But what prevents you from sitting down and using your lap to provide a place to put your lenses when you change them
Just depends on the context in what and where you're swapping. For example, wedding shoot, on a boat, nowhere to sit, need to swap quickly as the prime currently attached is not suited to the environment as more people are pooling into the shot and need a wider FoV lens. This scenario is different from say at home, or a leisurely walk in a clean park where soft ground exists or a bench to help.

This isn't actually a bad idea. I'd love to see how you fashion an interesting wrist strap from a neck strap as with mine I haven't really managed to get anything that works very well. Because if the wrist strap can quickly become a neck strap then it assists in the only area I've found it useful in, the lens swap! So yeh if you have time show us where you anchor and twist the strapping etc, seems like the cheapest work around. However, having said that I still like the idea of a strapless camera full stop, to assist with 'packing' it away into compartments.

That's the scenario I would want to move towards, tho I imagine that's a pretty pricey investment! The clips seem pretty pricey, I wonder if a similar Arca Swiss compatible system exists at a cheaper price point than Peak? Or at least can you buy a bundle of Clips at get a discount than buying single clips at a time? I too would have three bags that I'd like to clip, a messenger, the CosySpeed Camslinger and my Lowe Pro Sling style backpack.

Ah, yes, I forgot to say that I hardly have any big lenses at all (and in my world the 60-250 is big). That influences what I deem "good enough". I might change my mind should I ever get hold of something like a Sigma 100-300/4 as a travel lens.
Same, and financially I think I am stuck at using primes for the next year or two. Eventually I think I would like to move towards owning a 24-70 and a 70-200, then I would hardly swap anymore anyway tho, just a few special primes for things like macros (wedding rings), or a FA50mm for ridiculous soft wide open f1.4 shoe shots etc.
02-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So yeh if you have time show us where you anchor and twist the strapping
I do pretty much like this guy (skip to 1:22, he talks too much), except I do "under-over-under" rather than his "under-under-over", and I have my strap a tad shorter so that both strap-ends are fairly tight and give support. It does take some practice to get that last part right.

I guess this one will work as well, but it looks somewhat less secure to me.

This one actually looks better than the one above. Make sure to wear your shades to match the music on this one!

02-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just depends on the context in what and where you're swapping. For example, wedding shoot, on a boat, nowhere to sit, need to swap quickly as the prime currently attached is not suited to the environment as more people are pooling into the shot and need a wider FoV lens. This scenario is different from say at home, or a leisurely walk in a clean park where soft ground exists or a bench to help. . . .
true enough
02-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Bruce I really think if you looked at this you'd find you don't need a clip or neck-strap to make a safe lens change. This a a short one that demos it.
Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange Case 100 AW - YouTube
Well that's interesting. After watching the video and having a go these are the conclusions I'm coming to;

I don't have that pouch, but i wear a pouch belt, I actually use chalk belts as they are soft. If i discard the twisty type rear caps (such as the double optech ones) and instead use a standard 'push only' rear lens cap then there's not a lot of issue with lens swapping without a strap of any kind. You first pop off the rear lens cap off the one you want to put on the camera body, I can do this one handed. Take the current lens off the camera body, put it down into a spare lens pouch, put new lens on the camera and the spare rear cap on the lens you just took off. Nice and easy.

Worth mentioning;

1) if you have sturdy hoods leave them on, then when you place them down into the pouch the lens hood first stops the front element from making contact, and it's a step you don't need to bother with at all (placing the front lens cap back on that is)

2) if you know your shooting frantically for a few minutes you can just discard all the rear lens caps off the lenses in the pouches, put them on after the session, this increases the swapping time a lot!

3) the problem with my currently lens pouches is that the internal fabric is soft but 'loose' this means that the rear element (or even perhaps front element with a shallow hood on) could make direct contact with the inner fabric lining and therefore grab some dust. I think a sturdy lens pouch with fixed lining makes much better sense in this regard, and if the hood is perhaps zipped (but left unzipped) and kinda naturally falls back over the lens when in the pouch and not in use will provide extra protection for the lens sitting inside with no rear cap on.

So i really think this is the direction I will head down. Non rubber hoods, sturdy deep hoods where possible, sturdy pouches that have fixed lining and a cover that naturally springs over once the unprotected lens is placed inside. This would be a wickedly fast lens swapping combo. Take current lens off, dump in pouch face down, grab new lens, place on camera. No lens caps to fuss over, not even rear caps!

Thanks very much for showing me this.

I do pretty much like this guy (skip to 1:22, he talks too much), except I do "under-over-under" rather than his "under-under-over", and I have my strap a tad shorter so that both strap-ends are fairly tight and give support. It does take some practice to get that last part right.

Neckstrap into Handwrap - YouTube

I guess this one will work as well, but it looks somewhat less secure to me.

How to tie your camera using the strap - YouTube

This one actually looks better than the one above. Make sure to wear your shades to match the music on this one!

How to wind the camera strap around your wrist - YouTube

3rd one looks awkward, too tight with a strap passing the VF. Urgh

2nd one looks too weak and prone to a mishap I agree.

1st one I tried and couldn't manage it at all! Perhaps my strap is different (i'm not using stock ones)... seems like a lot to think about anyway when moving between wrist to neck.
02-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #27
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

1st one I tried and couldn't manage it at all! Perhaps my strap is different (i'm not using stock ones)...
Yeah, that's partly why I went back to the stock strap. I let the more fancy shoulder strap tag along when I passed on my K-5 to my dad.

seems like a lot to think about anyway when moving between wrist to neck.
Nah, took a few attempts at first, but now I don't have to think at all. My hands just do their thing. Just like tying my shoe laces.

The best thing, though, is that now I can concentrate my GAS on other stuff
02-22-2018, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

That's the scenario I would want to move towards, tho I imagine that's a pretty pricey investment! The clips seem pretty pricey, I wonder if a similar Arca Swiss compatible system exists at a cheaper price point than Peak? Or at least can you buy a bundle of Clips at get a discount than buying single clips at a time? I too would have three bags that I'd like to clip, a messenger, the CosySpeed Camslinger and my Lowe Pro Sling style backpack.
There ARE some chinese knock-off, as in most things. But I know of no "serious" manufacturer making a genuine equivalent to the Capture Clip. There are many discount codes lying around for Peak Design (I could probably provide one relatively easily). I'd say the products are well worth the expense.

Long story short, after testing the peak Design strap and Clip, I sold my Op/Tech system and got two more Clips, extra anchors for my second camera, etc.
02-22-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

There ARE some chinese knock-off, as in most things. But I know of no "serious" manufacturer making a genuine equivalent to the Capture Clip. There are many discount codes lying around for Peak Design (I could probably provide one relatively easily). I'd say the products are well worth the expense.

Long story short, after testing the peak Design strap and Clip, I sold my Op/Tech system and got two more Clips, extra anchors for my second camera, etc.
Sound advice. I can use knock-off products for a lot of purposes, but carrying my $2000 camera is not one of them. If something breaks it could quickly become the most expensive clip (or strap) you ever bought