Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That could work - if the stud in the Moman is replaceable - but I would think this is the better option - it screws onto the existing 1/4" and then provides enough of a flat surface to snug against that should work for heads that can't use the flared adapter:

Manfrotto 088LBP Female Thread to Male Thread Adaptr 088LBP

03-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That could work - if the stud in the Moman is replaceable - but I would think this is the better option - it screws onto the existing 1/4" and then provides enough of a flat surface to snug against that should work for heads that can't use the flared adapter:

Manfrotto 088LBP Female Thread to Male Thread Adaptr 088LBP
Desmond Rock Steady Stainless Steel 1/4"-20 to RSA B&H

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6P4GCU?tag=pentaxforums-20&tag=amz-mkt-edg-us-...bit_pcomp_sav0

if these are the same thing, they are cheaper
03-08-2018, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #33
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Mine came a couple days ago. Not labeled Moman...labeled Manbily. They must have sold out of the Moman labeled product? Same item but different label.
Ron, the one I ordered today on EBay, was also Manbily, but has Moman on the leg. It was sold by Moman2017.

Manbily Mini Table Tripod MT-01 Compact Camera ball head Phone Stand | eBay
03-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup. Plus the 3/8 screw appears more solid.

03-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

be advised

I tried the adjustment device that came with the tripod and used it to mount a promaster gimbal

no problem

until I took the gimbal off

the adjustment device remained on the tripod and I was having great difficulty, I couldn't remove it

in frustration, I attached the gimbal again and this time when I got the combo apart, I managed to have the adjustment device remain inserted into the gimbal.

I then used a flat blade screw driver to twist it out of the gimbal

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-09-2018 at 06:29 AM.
03-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered one of these from Amazon dot au, should be here in a couple of days.
I have a few different 1/4 to 3/8 adapters already, I too am wanting to use with a gimbal head.
Crikey, rated at 80kg I could put the FA*600/F4 ON there.

Also, grabbed the matching ballhead, you can't have too many ballheads I always say.
03-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, I'm glad my review has resonated with a few members here...
I'm seriously blow away by this tripod!

I took it to the beach the other day for some long exposure shots and did a bit of macro in the garden and it was nice to not have to break out the big full-sized tripod for these shots.

I agree with everyone on the thread adapter being kind of cheap... It broke when I tried to remove it from my ballhead and I have to use needle nose pliers to get the pieces out.

I might get the Desmond adapter someone just posted a link to above - that thing looks perfect!

Hope everyone enjoys!

Also, yes my tripod came in with the label Manbily but it was purchased from Moman.
It's the same exact tripod just a different branding.

Cheers all!

03-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Mine says "Moman" (came from Amazon). As far as the thread adapter I have a bunch of them so it isn't an issue but the one that came with this worked fine in my Acratech ballhead but I had trouble getting it out because the notches on the head were so far apart that that my screwdriver couldn't reach both sides, which is weird. (I carry a stubby flathead screwdriver with a very wide driver for these things.) Had to use the back edge of a knife to get it turning -- maybe a quarter or penny would have worked, have to try that.
03-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #39
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hearing that there might be a problem, I just ordered the Desmond adaptor off of EBay. I think it will be more secure, and of course much easier to remove, when needed.

Thanks for the links!

Dang, to OP and those providing the links should get a commission!

Kind of nice that a few of us will have this unit, so we can offer suggestions, etc.
03-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
be advised

I tried the adjustment device that came with the tripod and used it to mount a promaster gimbal

no problem

until I took the gimbal off

the adjustment device remained on the tripod and I was having great difficulty, I couldn't remove it

in frustration, I attached the gimbal again and this time when I got the combo apart, I managed to have the adjustment device remain inserted into the gimbal.

I then used a flat blade screw driver to twist it out of the gimbal
Can you clarify what the "adjustment device" is? I'm not following you fully. Maybe pictures? You could always edit a jpg from an online site and draw on top of it to indicate what part came off.
03-09-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Can you clarify what the "adjustment device" is? I'm not following you fully. Maybe pictures? You could always edit a jpg from an online site and draw on top of it to indicate what part came off.
1/4->3/8 bushing adapter
03-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well I just ordered this too with the ball head plus two 1/4" to 3/8" adapters. I have a use for the second one. Nice thing is that my cash back award on my credit card paid for most of the order.
03-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the tripod comes with an adapter

amazon.com : Tripod for DSLR Camera and Gimbal Stabilizer with 1/4 and 3/8 Screw Mount, Camera Tripod with Max Load of 80 kg, CNC Aluminum, Moman Minipod : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

look at third photo
03-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am aware of the adapter and had talked about an alternate style earlier. But the wording used confused me. I'm caught up now. Lol.
03-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #45
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I changed my order from 1 to 2, on the adapters. I don't foresee any problems with these "Desmond" type adapters.