Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I've been looking for a travel tripod that wasn't going to break the bank, could hold more than 30lbs and had versatility, such as the ability to attach to objects for unique perspectives/opportunities while traveling.

Up to this point everything was pointing to a Joby Gorillapod. Though, reading through reviews I was left feeling weary of the Joby's reliability.

The listing is "fulfilled by Amazon" meaning their customer service handles any issues - this is great because their standard return policy applies to this item... I can safely try it out for a few days knowing I can get a full refund should the product not meet expectations.

I only bought the legs. I have a spare 3 legged thing ball head that will be used with this tripod when traveling.

Here are my initial impressions/observations:
Thanks for doing all the research for us!

I take it that the straps do not come with the tripod. Correct?

03-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote

No, the straps are included. (I bought one too.) One of my only nitpicks about the thing is the straps -- they are fine, but I prefer the style (usually velco) that doubles back on itself to lock down -- easier to cinch things tight especially around smaller diameter items as the other style you can wrap it around twice before cinching if need be. But you can easily use different straps. Other nitpick would be that the legs don't lock into place when open (aren't prevented from closing) so if you are strapping to things, you have to make sure it is in a position where it can't move. For instance, if you were to just strap one leg to a pole, the head can still move relative to that.

Having the screw-holes there is really nice, you could use those to make adjustable height legs similar to the Platypod.

All in all it is a very nice and solid piece and a total steal at the price.
03-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been using plastic minipods with Velcro straps to hold WG-M1 and WG-M2 Ricoh action cams in my boat (occasionally a DSLR). You gents deserve a commission on the sale--got one and the ballhead ordered and on the way. Commish won't be much since these items sell for about the scrap value of the aluminum. Not sure how the price can be so low, yet the quality as high as all have indicated? But I'm game for them buying the market share with a low price...just doing my part to help!

After using minipods strapped to posts, poles, rails and pipes 75 days a year for the past three years, the slotted legs for various strapping positions were a big selling point for me. I did the research, and though table top sized tripods are common, models with capability to "strap to a branch" are not readily available--especially not robust ones. I can already foresee that I'll probably need more than one of these units! (though as an aspheric ball head snob (actual Arca Swiss heads), the ball head has me worried a bit, but not enough to spring for a small RRS ball head! Not aware of tiny aspheric heads?)

Thanks for the tip everyone!
03-02-2018, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

I didn't expect straps to come with it but they do.
I'll probably replace them with Velcro straps as others have mentioned they would be better in certain scenarios.

For $30 this thing is a dreamer!

Very solid and very simple.

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 10:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
No, the straps are included. (I bought one too.) One of my only nitpicks about the thing is the straps -- they are fine, but I prefer the style (usually velco) that doubles back on itself to lock down -- easier to cinch things tight especially around smaller diameter items as the other style you can wrap it around twice before cinching if need be. But you can easily use different straps. Other nitpick would be that the legs don't lock into place when open (aren't prevented from closing) so if you are strapping to things, you have to make sure it is in a position where it can't move. For instance, if you were to just strap one leg to a pole, the head can still move relative to that.

Having the screw-holes there is really nice, you could use those to make adjustable height legs similar to the Platypod.

All in all it is a very nice and solid piece and a total steal at the price.
Right, I agree the straps are a bit fussy at times.
But I honestly wasn't expecting them to come with the legs...
I always have a run of paracord in my bag, and I trust my knots over any plastic buckle.
But the velcro idea is a good one! I might have to pick up a few strips - they are very cheap at the hardware store.

As far as the legs not locking when opened, my $300 Benro doesn't even have that...
If you're planning to strap your camera to a pole with only one strap, you've got a level of confidence I do not.

The tripod legs do feel awkward when strapping to objects, but so far I have found it to be very solid.
Even hanging upside down from a deck post, the legs didn't budge with my K-3ii, D-BG5 and DA*300 with 1.4xTC... That's a heavy rig to be dangling upside down from a $30 tripod!

I'm curious what you'll think of this little tripod in the long-run.
Just having the ability now to setup my camera in my house for odd-end macro shots or long exposure testing; I already have found myself shooting WAYYY more than before buying this thing.

That alone; a $30 investment to inspire me to shoot more... That's worth it

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 10:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Been using plastic minipods with Velcro straps to hold WG-M1 and WG-M2 Ricoh action cams in my boat (occasionally a DSLR). You gents deserve a commission on the sale--got one and the ballhead ordered and on the way. Commish won't be much since these items sell for about the scrap value of the aluminum. Not sure how the price can be so low, yet the quality as high as all have indicated? But I'm game for them buying the market share with a low price...just doing my part to help!

After using minipods strapped to posts, poles, rails and pipes 75 days a year for the past three years, the slotted legs for various strapping positions were a big selling point for me. I did the research, and though table top sized tripods are common, models with capability to "strap to a branch" are not readily available--especially not robust ones. I can already foresee that I'll probably need more than one of these units! (though as an aspheric ball head snob (actual Arca Swiss heads), the ball head has me worried a bit, but not enough to spring for a small RRS ball head! Not aware of tiny aspheric heads?)

Thanks for the tip everyone!
I did not buy the ball head so I cannot speak on that quality...
But the legs are awesome!
I found a 3LT ball head, arca swiss, on a demo sale a while back and it fits perfectly.

I totally agree on the limited availability of "strappable" table-top tripods.
It's like Joby has ruled that market for too long, and I was never really excited about the reviews I read.

Hopefully you find your purchase as satisfying as I have!

03-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can tell I'm going to like using zip ties to strongly affix the legs to ANYTHING! Two zip ties crossed and running at differing angles reduces risk of slippage on smooth round surfaces. Can really reef on zip ties for tightness...semi-permanent if desired...
03-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

As far as the legs not locking when opened, my $300 Benro doesn't even have that...
If you're planning to strap your camera to a pole with only one strap, you've got a level of confidence I do not.
Yes, plenty of normal tripods don't have leg locks, although some do. But tripods that are designed to be put into weird positions and strapped to things usually have a facility to hold their shape -- I guess you need to strap all the legs (or around all the legs) to get this one in a totally fixed position. Anyhoo, that's for weird setups and you just work it out.

But on a flat surface, this thing can easily hold a gimbal head -- might be slightly tippy with the legs up if you aren't careful but very solid in flat mode on the ground.
03-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .

no, straps are included

just received mine today

small box with tripod, adapter and the straps loose in the box

no bag other than open ended plastic shipping bag big enough for tripod and straps

twist tie will be added to close bag

I also bought the head which arrived today as well

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 12:36 ----------

. . . Ok,
the listing does say it comes with a bag, even though the picture shows the ballhead and the legs.
I don't know if they forgot to send me the bag, or if that's only for the ballhead and legs purchased as a set... ?
I plan to inquire about this, but it has no impact on how I feel about the tripod legs themselves. . . .
excellent review thanks

I purchased the tripod and head

amazon ad I saw didn't mention a bag

no bag other than the open ended shipping bag inside cardboard box

twist tie will serve to close that

bag big enough for tripod, adapter and straps

be advised there is special discount if ordering both

it is at the bottom right above the question section

" Special offers and product promotions
Size: Camera Tripod with 1/4 and 3/8 Screw Mount
Save 5% on this item when you purchase 1 or more Tripod Ball Head offered by Videonet. Here's how (restrictions apply)
"

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-05-2018 at 01:38 AM.
03-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I didn't get a bag or remember seeing anything about a bag. I don't need no stinking bag anyway.
03-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hello and thank you for this very helpful review.
I see you didnt bought Moman ballhead, mind sharing how you adapted your 3LT ?
I already have a vanguard ballhead thus no wish to buy an extra one for this tripod
03-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the suggestion and review. My wife and I are going on an Alaska cruise in late April and I was looking for some type of clamp to use on a railing. I finally decided on this and sent an email to my wife to order on her Amazon prime account. She ordered it yesterday morning - like after midnight, oh dark hundred. We were talking today, and she said - by the way, I just got an email that your tripod thing just shipped. Great! - 1 minute later, the door bell rang. I kid you not - Amazon just dropped off the tripod.

It's as advertised - excellent build for what it is. For a test, I spun on the 3/8 by 1/4 bushing, then spun on my Acratech GP ballhead - works like a champ!

03-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

upon your review I also picked up one of these via Amazon (next day shipping for free). I can attest to everything stated in the review: this is a high-quality item. As a side note I own more than 6 table top tripods including: several versions (and clones) of the classic Leica Tabletop, GorillaPod, PlatyPod, UltraPod, Novoflex BasicBall, and both the big and small ProMaster Clamper. Seriously, I'm liking this Moman the best.
03-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just ordered one from EBay. Has a different name on title, but Moman on the legs. $27.99 (Stand only, as I have a great ballhead).

Manbily Mini Table Tripod MT-01 Compact Camera ball head Phone Stand | eBay
03-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think if I read him correctly - the Adapter is supplied but it is the one pictured on the website which as a flared bottom and doesn't go into his ball head far enough to allow the head to sit flush and snug against the tripod top. If you can picture it as Ball Head - adapter not fully inserted due to flared bottom - Tripod Top... I think you will see what he seems to be saying.
What about something like this?

Oben Reversible 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 Mounting OB-1019
03-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've also just ordered this monopod; hoping the Moman will fit the bottom, and act as "feet" for the monopod.

Vanguard ABEO AM-364 Aluminum Monopod ABEO AM-364 B&H Photo

The monopod said it had the 3/8"-16 at the bottom, so hopefully it will work. If not, I'm sure I'll greatly enjoy both items separately!
03-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine came a couple days ago. Not labeled Moman...labeled Manbily. They must have sold out of the Moman labeled product? Same item but different label.

Legs are nice and well worth the mini pricetag. Ballhead will work but isn't anything to brag about. Terrible panning tension--smooth like oiled smooth until tightened then you can even hear the metal on metal as it scritches to move in a herky jerky manner. Tightening screw on Arca receiver actually squeeks--like cute mouse squeeks. I plan to use this with tiny little few ounces Ricoh action cams WG-M1 and WG-M2 so it will be more than sufficient and way better than the passable Ricoh plastic accessories.

In a pinch, the legs could do DSLR work, the head, meh, I don't wanna, not so much. I sure wouldn't trust this head strapped to a rail on a ship or anywhere else risky with a couple grand in camera and lens on it.

BTW the little pinch buckles on the straps hold really tight for now, however my Kinesis bags use(d) these style buckles and they started breaking after a couple years in hot and cold field conditions. Kinesis no longer uses this type of buckle and I'm forewarning you they'll break when you need them most so have a backup plan (zipties or thin wire) somewhere in your accessory bag. Minor gripe based on wiring bags together in Alaska once upon a time...