Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #16
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I don't believe I ever said Cheap. I said sturdy but light. I have a bag for the 055 but it is still too heavy to tote on my shoulder with strap attached.

My first tripod I bought some 20 years ago cost me $289. It too was a sturdy Bogen/Manfrotto. The center column came out to allow me to lower it almost flat on the ground. But 20 years ago, I was healthy, strong and determined. I could climb mountains, with tripod and backpack filled with cameras and lenses. Now I'm older, almost frail and my legs don't allow me to stand for long periods of time. I can't climb mountains any more. My 5'3" height and skinny frame can't carry a lot of weight on my shoulder and isn't enjoyable any more.

Last edited by photolady95; 02-24-2018 at 01:04 PM.
02-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #17

My sympathies! I'm not the lad I was either, but thankful for many things still holding together. Hair is a notable exception...
02-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #18
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Question on the Slik. What type of plate does it have? My Manfrotto uses a rectangular quick release plate. Can I use those that I bought for it, on the Slik?
02-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks but I think I'll pass. Since I'm only 5'3" I don't see needing one that extends to 6' either.
'
Well, I'm 6'3" and besides, it collapses to 2 ft or less and when the legs are shortened and the center post lowered it is very sturdy, but to each their own. That's why there is such a variety.

02-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Well, I'm 6'3" and besides, it collapses to 2 ft or less and when the legs are shortened and the center post lowered it is very sturdy, but to each their own. That's why there is such a variety.
But you're correct, to each their own.
02-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Got this tripod for myself for Christmas, my first venture into carbon-fiber-land, and I've been very happy with it. I was coming from a heavy tank-like aluminum Manfrotto as my main full sized tripod. This one feels like it might not be much heavier than my travel tripod but it's full of sturdy.

amazon.com : Neewer Carbon Fiber 63?tag=pentaxforums-20&"/160cm Tripod Monopod with 360 Degree Ball Head, 1/4"Quick Shoe Plate, and Bubble Level Including Carrying Bag for DSLR Camera, Video Camcorder, Load Capacity 33lbs/15kg : Camera & Photo

I got the red version for being taller... It's under five pounds including the head... The black version is a little shorter and lighter and under $100...
02-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for you input Todd but those have the screw lock legs, and eventually, the screw type lose their ability to lock tight. I had one similar and one leg would not tighten down, and would slide up causing the Tripod to tilt over.
02-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Question on the Slik. What type of plate does it have?
Proprietary Slik plate.

Steve

02-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #24
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Proprietary Slik plate. Steve
Can I purchase extras? I have four cameras. One stays on the Manfrotto inside my house, near an open window. I'd like to get an extra release plate for one of my other cameras. Sometimes I carry two cameras when I'm out and about.
02-26-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #25
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Slik ordered. Will be here Thursday.
02-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It has to be not over $150. Used is good and I just need the legs. I currently own a Manfrotto 055XPROB. It's too heavy to carry around the river parks where I shoot my wild birds and I wanted something a bit lighter. My cameras are all on a hand strap so I would need something I can carry in my other hand without being too heavy, like the Manfrotto is. Can you help.
New won't be in your budget I expect, but the Feisol tripods are very good indeed if you can find a nice used one.
02-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #27
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Guess you didn't see I already bought the Slik that robjmitchell suggested. It will be here Thursday, got an email from B&H it shipped today.
03-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #28
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I bought the Slik, got it today and I'm disappointed in its structure. It's light, that's for sure but the legs are real skinny and I don't think it would stand up against the wind that blows hard enough to knock me over. I guess I'm going to have to figure out a way to tote the Manfrotto cause this Slik just isn't going to work.
03-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #29
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was going to return this tripod but decided to keep it instead. If it doesn't work for me, I can always sell it later.