Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for a light but sturdy tripod

It has to be not over $150. Used is good and I just need the legs. I currently own a Manfrotto 055XPROB. It's too heavy to carry around the river parks where I shoot my wild birds and I wanted something a bit lighter. My cameras are all on a hand strap so I would need something I can carry in my other hand without being too heavy, like the Manfrotto is. Can you help.

02-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have an aluminium silk tripod that is about a 1kg. The legs are the highlight, so good choice if you already have a decent head, and under $150.
On special for a steal at the moment.

Slick sprint 150
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048737-REG/slik_611_875_sprint_150_tripod_with.html

BH also have higher model leg only options,

Last edited by robjmitchell; 02-23-2018 at 05:46 PM.
02-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. In my wish list now, will buy on pay day.
02-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have been using a set of Slik Pro 330 DX legs with a Manfrotto mini ballhead for several years now for travel and hiking and have been very happy with the kit. There is also the Slik Pro 340 DX for a few dollars more if a four section leg works better (more compact). Aluminum-Magnesium-Titanium alloy. Pricing for legs only is still under $80 USD and similar to when I did this blog post for hinman...

Hin's Photo Corner: The Magic Tripod

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-23-2018 at 07:11 PM.
02-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In case you need something that will handle more weight at a later time, I would recommend the following (which I have). Sirui T2005X (shortcut and features below).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004WY7VQQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?tag=pentaxforums-20...55L

Features
Max height: 60.9" (1566mm) (with center column).
Folds down to 14.6" (370mm)
11. Weight: 3.1lb (1.4kg)
Max Load : 26.4lb (12kg)
Legs fold up 180° for extra compactness
02-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
My Manfrotto is four sections, but I rarely extend them to the fourth section because the legs aren't that sturdy. They tend to look spindly to me and though I have had them extended, I didn't trust the tripod to stay without being wobbly or having them have vibrations. The wind blows pretty hard at the river sometimes. I would hate that the wind would cause my tripod to fall over with camera attached.

I read the blog, thanks for that Steve. The one I have in the wish list is under $60, right now.

I didn't see your post c jones until I posted this to Steve, but I'd rather not spend the $150 if I don't have to do that. Thanks anyway.

Apparently, mine weighs in at 5.3lbs and that's without the head installed. I think the head weighs as much as the tripod does. LOL

Last edited by photolady95; 02-23-2018 at 07:47 PM.
02-23-2018, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It may be a little heavier than what you're looking for, but I love my Benro Adventrurer TAD28A. It's sturdy enough for a K-1 with a 70-300mm zoom and it extends to nearly 6 feet. It travels well enough but I probably wouldn't want to take it backpacking.

02-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks but I think I'll pass. Since I'm only 5'3" I don't see needing one that extends to 6' either.
'
02-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks but I think I'll pass. Since I'm only 5'3" I don't see needing one that extends to 6' either.
'

Slik Pro 330DX is 46' without center column. Few months ago I was looking at 330DX and collected height info.
02-24-2018, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Light, sturdy and cheap don't come together in a good tripod.

Be prepared to spend more, maybe on carbon fibre.

I'm intrigued, though. My 055XPROB is heavy but far from unsturdy.
02-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #11
Forum Member

I live in Germany, last year I bought a Bilora Tripod TT 1. It‘s weight is under 1 kg with head and about 35cm long. So it‘s great for walking around with your camera. It carried my K1 with 15-30- or 150-450-lens. I don‘t know if it‘s available outside the EU. The price was very good in my opinion, about 80€.
02-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Slik Pro 330DX is 46' without center column. Few months ago I was looking at 330DX and collected height info.
I don't think they make a tripod that goes to 46 feet tall.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Light, sturdy and cheap don't come together in a good tripod. Be prepared to spend more, maybe on carbon fibre. I'm intrigued, though. My 055XPROB is heavy but far from unsturdy.
Well, I know and I wasn't thinking cheap either, my Manfrotto cost me $160 and I bought it in the Marketplace here. Heavy is why I don't like carrying the that tripod, as for unsturdy, since I don't extend it to the smaller legs, it's rock solid.

QuoteOriginally posted by zahnski Quote
I live in Germany, last year I bought a Bilora Tripod TT 1. It‘s weight is under 1 kg with head and about 35cm long. So it‘s great for walking around with your camera. It carried my K1 with 15-30- or 150-450-lens. I don‘t know if it‘s available outside the EU. The price was very good in my opinion, about 80€.
Thanks for the input but, I'm going with the slik first mentioned in this thread by robjmitchell. Since I live in the USA, I won't be buying anything outside this country.

My camera, which ever I decide to take with me, usually has a 200mm M lens with 1.7x TC or a Sigma 400mm on it. That 400mm and camera with batteries, is quite heavy for my age and structure. I don't have the muscles I had when I was 20 years old.
02-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
is quite heavy for my age and structure. I don't have the muscles I had when I was 20 years old.
I certainly can agree with that! I'm a wimp now as I age!
02-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #14

What will be the best choice for you will depend on the compromises you want to make in order to get something lighter I guess. For me, I much prefer to have something which will get close to head height without using the central column, since using the central column dramatically reduces vibration resistance the more you extend it. It's way more comfortable to work close to head height when you can. So it's worth thinking about how high you need it to go to match your own height, and whether you mind having to use the column to get it to that height.

I have a Manfrotto 055 for heavier duty tasks, but I have a Velbon Sherpa 550R for trekking and more general use, which I got for around £30 on Ebay. Not sure if this exact model is still available, but there are current variants of it. The Sherpa is very nicely built and with head, goes to 129cm without column and 154cm with. Collapsed length with head is 63cm. It has a split column and three leg angles, allowing you to get down to 29cm. Weight is 2.1kg with head, 1.6kg without. This has been a good tripod for me, offering a good compromise between size, weight, height, stability and ease of set-up. It's substantially smaller and lighter than the Manfrotto. It would be nice if it collapsed a bit smaller and was a little lighter but I wouldn't want to reduce stability any further personally. One feature I miss is a foam tube on one of the legs - this is nice to have in cold weather.

The Slik 150 already mentioned does look like an interesting option - it goes slightly higher than this sherpa with the column, though looking at it, I think much of that height comes from the column. It's much lighter than the sherpa, which is impressive, but I do wonder how stable it would be. I personally find four-section legs a bit of a pain and more wobbly than three.

Not sure if these are available where you are, but I have just been looking at these: K & F Concept TM2324 - £54 on Amazon uk. Shorter folded length than the Slik, around the same weight and I think the shoulder height might be a bit higher. Reviews are universally good. I'd definitely consider one of these if I wanted something smaller and lighter than the sherpa.
02-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Consider buying a bag for your 055 with a decent shoulder strap: it's a beast to carry around in one hand but it sits on my shoulder in a bag without problems and I don't like being without it. As someone said already: you can get a sturdy tripod, a light tripod and a cheap tripod, but not all three in one package. Still, two out of three ain't bad as Meatloaf sang...