Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Off Camera Adapter F Substitute....

Pentax makes two F adapters; one the "hot shoe adapter F" with contacts on both sides, and one "off camera adapter F" with a tripod hole on the bottom. I have the chord and other two items, but not the "Off camera Adapter F", they go for crazy money! The other two parts are easier to find.

But I do have two of the Pentax Hot-Shoe Adapter F's.

Can I just get a cheap Tripod/Flash adapter and use an extra "Hot Shoe Adapter F" I have instead. So I would be connecting two Pentax Hot Shoe Adapters together with the chord and using a cheap third party adapter to hold one of them up.

Just not sure if the pins on the bottom would short out if they touch metal on the bottom. Is that any different than when you plug a AF540GZ flash in with a chord and then use a metal tripod/flash adapter to hold it?

03-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've tried your combination [Hot Shoe Adapter F --> 5P Sync Cord --> Hot Shoe Adapter F] on a Pentax Hot Shoe Grip (which is meant to be used with the previous 4P cords) and the flash mounted on the end refused to fire.

I then replaced the last Hot Shoe Adapter F with a Off Camera Adapter F and the flash worked properly.

My conclusion was that the contacts on the bottom of the Hot Shoe Adapter F were causing the flash not to work properly.

I believe I also tried the same arrangement on another grip (metal cold shoe) with the same results.

It seems the pins on the bottom of the Hot Shoe Adapter F contacting metal are the problem.

Regards

Chris
03-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Darn.....its so much for a small little thing, but did have a feeling those contacts touching metal would be a bad thing.
03-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Before Pentax came out with the threaded version, I used Canon model Shoe Adapters and put electrical tape over the contacts in the middle. Then ran the F5p cord to the port on the side of the 500/540 series flashes. The 360's don't have the port. Thus I was using the Canon shoe simply as a way to hold the flash with a threaded shoe, which is pretty much what the cold shoe threaded Pentax model does if you bypass the F5p connector on the shoe and run the cord straight to the flash.

If threaded attachment isn't important, I think you can tape off the contacts on most any shoe as long as you are using a flash with F5p port on the side?

Yes, so using the F5p port on your existing 540 (just checked your OP) and blocking contacts with electrical tape should avoid the extra "talk" running through the hot shoes...I think?

Which is which...Hot Shoe F and Hot Shoe Adapter F? I own a few of each, but without having them in the boxes, I don't know how to order one or the other. So ordered one or the other used from B&H this weekend. Hope I didn't ace you out on the one you wanted...it was cheap so I couldn't resist...coming to macro season (wildflowers) in a couple months and I run unusual flash set ups from time to time and just keep hot shoe pieces around my various kits so as not to be without when it matters. I use the threaded model on my macro flash brackets and on a multi-flash bar...

---------- Post added 03-05-18 at 03:02 PM ----------

B&H just confirmed shipping of my order. In transit is a used Hot Shoe Adapter F which I bought in the hopes that it has the threads on the bottom. Other descriptions at B&H said that was the one with the threads? I couldn't guarantee, but like you, Rich, don't want to pay $64 for new ones...so jumped on this at a discount...starting to think I jumped in front of you on this one? Sorry!

03-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Before Pentax came out with the threaded version, I used Canon model Shoe Adapters and put electrical tape over the contacts in the middle. Then ran the F5p cord to the port on the side of the 500/540 series flashes. The 360's don't have the port. Thus I was using the Canon shoe simply as a way to hold the flash with a threaded shoe, which is pretty much what the cold shoe threaded Pentax model does if you bypass the F5p connector on the shoe and run the cord straight to the flash.

If threaded attachment isn't important, I think you can tape off the contacts on most any shoe as long as you are using a flash with F5p port on the side?

Yes, so using the F5p port on your existing 540 (just checked your OP) and blocking contacts with electrical tape should avoid the extra "talk" running through the hot shoes...I think?

Which is which...Hot Shoe F and Hot Shoe Adapter F? I own a few of each, but without having them in the boxes, I don't know how to order one or the other. So ordered one or the other used from B&H this weekend. Hope I didn't ace you out on the one you wanted...it was cheap so I couldn't resist...coming to macro season (wildflowers) in a couple months and I run unusual flash set ups from time to time and just keep hot shoe pieces around my various kits so as not to be without when it matters. I use the threaded model on my macro flash brackets and on a multi-flash bar...

---------- Post added 03-05-18 at 03:02 PM ----------

B&H just confirmed shipping of my order. In transit is a used Hot Shoe Adapter F which I bought in the hopes that it has the threads on the bottom. Other descriptions at B&H said that was the one with the threads? I couldn't guarantee, but like you, Rich, don't want to pay $64 for new ones...so jumped on this at a discount...starting to think I jumped in front of you on this one? Sorry!
No worries, something will pop up or Ill look for a AF540FGZ for a good price that has the connection on the side. Its just something i want to play with, don't want to spend a ton it. For $70 I rather put it towards a flash.

Its tough buying off eBay because there are two of them (Hot-shoe adapter F and Off camera Adapter F), I think non Pentax camera dealers don't really know themselves which is which.

When the parts come in, I might just try covering the contacts on the bottom and seeing if that works.
03-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Not sure what you're trying to do. For me, the Vello works very well and is cheap.
03-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Forum Member

You can get one of these:
Interfit Strobies Adjustable Shoe Mount
Which can give you versatility for very little money.

There are also flash leads that don't cost a huge amount, that have the right pins to enable you to use your flash off camera:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Flash-Cord-Pentax-Cameras/dp/B00AZMJK7M/ref=...lash+sync+cord
But there's a snag, at least for ones on the UK market. They either don't have a socket on top of the end that attaches to the camera, or if they do, it doesn't work at the same time as the one on the other end of the lead; there's a switch to select. This may be a patent avoidance thing, I don't know. Possibly not a problem with what you already have.

Dunno if these particular ones are any good; the links are just for illustrating my points.
03-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

You could also try Ebay. Spurred into action by your post, I had a look on Ebay and found a used Hot Shoe adaptor F, 22.98 with postage. It's already been posted to me. I can either use it as is, or on a shoe mount so that it can go on a quarter inch tripod screw.

I might be able to get the short sync cord from the same place. Depends on the price.