Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
cheap D-LI90 accu for K1

Who has experiences with cheap $10 (or less) spare D-LI90 accus from ebay or alixpress?
Years ago I bought one for my pentax KIIs, but after 50 clicks it was empty. Maybe there are better ones these days.

03-06-2018, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Why invest in a K-1 to undermine it with a cheap battery? Kind of like buying a new Porsche but getting the cheapest tires at Wal-Mart...not going to deliver optimal performance.

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 03-06-2018 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Edited
03-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have such battery - don't remember the brand, but can check it later. It has lower capacity than original one, and its performance in low temperatures is definitely worse, but I don't mind it. I have been using similar battery (the same brand) in K-S2 for more than two years, and it still works well. As per 'performance of a camera', I can't tell which pictures were taken with which battery
03-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I happily use aftermarket batteries. Some are pretty good, some are pretty poor. None last quite as long as the original. But you can buy a pocketful for the price of one original, so it doesn't matter that much.

Then again, if I'd just spent the best part of 2k on a camera, another 40 for a proper battery wouldn't worry me much. The way I see it, you wouldn't have noticed the difference if the camera price had been that little bit more in the first place, so I'd have just added the spare onto the original purchase.

03-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #5

I've bought batteries from a german brand called Patona. Got two pieces for about 40$ just to keep as backup to the original D-Li90.

They do charge without any issues but they are good for about 200 shots at most. I pretty much expected so much to begin with.

I've had them for over a year and so far they do not seem to have declined at all although my use of them is limited.

It would however not have surprised me if they started to become useless after about 6 months. It generally is the impression you get, cheap batteries work ok for the first few months and then their true value shines.
03-06-2018, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For my K-3, I did purchase a Watson battery from B&H to go in my battery grip. It has performed about as well as the original Pentax branded battery that came with the body. I have also read many instances of good performance from Wasabi batteries. You have to remember that there are actually very few battery manufacturers worldwide, and that the differences lie in the specs and QC imposed by the final seller. I would not go to eBay for my camera batteries!
03-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not that you should take that as a recommendation or endorsement, but the batteries I have bought off ebay have worked just fine. A bit less capacity, more noticeably so after a few years. Never had any problems, but I guess that's a bit hit and miss.

03-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Why invest in a K-1 to undermine it with a cheap battery? Kind of like buying a new Porsche but getting the cheapest tires at Wal-Mart...not going to deliver optimal performance.
More like refusing to fill the gas tank to more than 3/4 capacity (but it depends on your definition of 'cheap', the OP apparently dug to the bottom of the battery barrel).

I have a Watson brand spare, in my k5iis it has measurably less capacity. I can't find my numbers but I had thought 10-20% less. I just noticed this morning that my battery was down to 1 bar, I can't remember the last time I charged it so I had assumed it was the Pentax original in there. Turned out it was the Watson, so apparently in practice I can't tell the difference. Between these two, I'd recommend the Pentax if you regularly punish the batteries with hundreds and hundreds of shots per outing, otherwise the Watsons are far better value (note that I have not tried it in a K-1). I've also heard good things about the Wasabi brand, they also have more compact chargers.
03-06-2018, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have several Watson batteries and presently, their capacities compare favorably with the OEM Pentax batteries. I haven't had them long enough to determine if their lifespans are equivalent. Be careful on batteries though, because there are a lot of lithium cells that aren't worth anything under various Chinese and Asian name brands. Generally, real low prices are the indicator.
03-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Generic third party batteries are very much hit-and-miss. I've had some that are really, really good and some that are pretty bad. All in all, you pretty much get what you pay for. I'm just thankful my K30 offers the option to use AA's because Eneloops greatly outperform any D-Li90 I've tried.
03-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
More like refusing to fill the gas tank to more than 3/4 capacity
Yep, but at 10 % of the price I'm willing to do that

(Locally I have to pay ~$100 for an original battery. I wouldn't bother with the cheaper ones if I could have originals at $50.)

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I can't find my numbers but I had thought 10-20% less.
My guestimate would be about the same.
03-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #12

Just bought these two for my KP, not enough cycles to have a solid opinion, but initial was good and it has good reviews.

cheaper:
PATONA Battery f. Pentax D Li90 D-Li90 K-01 K-5 K-5 II K-5 IIs K645D | Pentax | Batteries | CAMERA | PATONA ONLINESHOP

bigger:
PATONA Premium Battery f. Pentax D-Li90 K01 K5 II IIs K645D K7 | Pentax | Premium Batteries | CAMERA | PATONA ONLINESHOP

Best,
03-06-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I'm just thankful my K30 offers the option to use AA's because Eneloops greatly outperform any D-Li90 I've tried.
I don't think you've tried any D-Li90s in your K-30, since it uses the D-Li109. The '109 is considerably lower in capacity than the D-Li90, with only 1050 mAh, compared to 1860 mAh.

To the OP, it's worth pointing out that the Amp Hour ratings on 3rd-party batteries vary widely. I've seen 3rd-party D-Li90s from 1400 mAh to 2900 mAh - more than a 100% difference! Even though that is the capacity they claim, not necessarily what they deliver, it's worth the time to look closely at the battery specs, and not just the price tag.
03-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #14
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel much more comforable with one spare original battery than three third paty ones. In my experience the originals have more capacity, hold up many more charging cycles and perform better in low temperatures.

The price difference is not only branding but also the raw material cost. Good batteries need certain chemicals and recipes that prevent rapid degrading during charging cycles. That'ts what I learned from a battery researcher presentation recently.

The regular price for me is around 65 EUR (80 USD) but I bought two spares when they were on sale at SRS.
03-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Seems like you'll need some luck buying a cheap battery. Some have done well and others have not. I had a Wasabi for a K-50 and it had maybe half the capacity of the Pentax and after about a year of use only as a backup it started to swell and became tight in the camera.