Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What vintage tripod head to use with a Takumar 300mm f4 lens ?

I have a couple large Ball heads for general use with my K-1 , K-3II , and KP.
However I got a new vintage lens to play with and I need a different tripod head setup for a Takumar 300mm f4 series 2 lens , with original tripod foot.
I'm absolutely lost as far as what to get ?
This lens is quite large and heavy. The front element is 4" diameter , and its about 12" long.....a small Beast !
Was thinking maybe an old Bogen 3126 ?
Only be using it with this lens , and maybe a Super-Takumar 200mm 3.5
I have several really nice older tripods , so a set of legs isn't an issue.
Money IS very important on this one..... I want to keep it minimal.....Thanks !

PS.....I wont be trying this for any sports or action related activities.....lol. I don't need anything for fast action , nor can I compose and focus the Beast quickly !

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 07-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
03-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see that you need a vintage head, though you may need a head with sufficient capacity to support the load and a rail of some sort to balance it out.

Steve
03-12-2018, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't see that you need a vintage head, though you may need a head with sufficient capacity to support the load and a rail of some sort to balance it out.

Steve
Ok...took the time to go to the lens database to see what you have:

You should be able to attach a longish Arca-Swiss plate to the foot and mate to a suitable clamp on your head. Some users might prefer a panhead over ballhead for this sort of setup, but it is all a matter of preference.

Steve
03-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve
A Rail if needed is super easy. I have access to a machine shop right across the road at the rec center.
Its the whole rig sitting atop a big ball head with Arca-Swiss plate that I don't really like. (using that now)
I would kinda like a Tilt/Pan handle possibly ?
When I loosen the Ball head , the whole rig is hard to handle , and tends to want to flop one way ....or the other.
Its a 3 handed operation.....lol.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-12-2018 at 03:37 PM.
03-12-2018, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly if you want a vintage look and feel grab a tilt-all tripod - head is included. The Bogen 3126 is not even close to that old if I remember correctly. I could be mistaken however.
03-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Honestly if you want a vintage look and feel grab a tilt-all tripod - head is included. The Bogen 3126 is not even close to that old if I remember correctly. I could be mistaken however.
I wasn't really going for a Vintage look. Its just that anything Bogen is considered a relic now days , and usually sells quite cheap.....lol.
The Bogen is at least 25 years old now. As far as my 52 yr old little Beast lens is concerned , its just a Youngster.....lol
03-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does $30 for this sound reasonable ? I think this may be exactly what I need , but its a video head isn't it ?

03-12-2018, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #8

Video heads are usually fluid damped which will limit your pan and tilt speed. The damping could save from slips though if the gear isn't balanced. You need to find the specs for the head and see what the maximum safe payload is. Check you're not going to exceed the limit with your gears - lens, foot, body, battery grip, flash and whatever else you may use.
03-12-2018, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

3126 is rated for 8.8 lbs.
3030 is rated for 13.3 lbs
3047 is rated for 16+ lbs
03-12-2018, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Does your ballhead work in semi-gimbal mode? (Many do, some are designed to do it better.) Rotate the lens collar so it is on the side of the lens instead of on the bottom, then put the ballhead horizontally into its slot all the way. Now it can't flop over as it has gone as far as it can go, and with the ball just loosened you can tilt up & down easily, and if your head pans it can do that too. You just have to be careful that you don't unbalance your tripod since the weight will be somewhat off-center. That's normally how I would use a big heavy lens (especially manual focus and where I had to operate the aperture too) with a ballhead.

Acratech brags about this feature with their GP heads (and they make great heads), but same concept works with plenty of others. See this Acratech video just after 3:00 mark:

03-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
3126 is rated for 8.8 lbs.
3030 is rated for 13.3 lbs
3047 is rated for 16+ lbs
Thanks ! I found some comparisons on B&H

B&H Photo - Bogen Head Comparison Chart
03-13-2018, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found that too! Lol. It only covers the fluid heads so I also looked up some non fluid ones for you.
03-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found that too! Lol. It only covers the fluid heads so I also looked up some non fluid ones for you.
I decided to wait on the Bogen head. I can always get it used from our local camera store for about $20-$30.
Instead I ordered this from Amazon for $25 along with a heavy aluminum table top tripod.
It just might be ok , and if it isn't , there is always the return option.

03-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

That Chinese head may end up being a bit smaller than it looks in the pictures.

However, I'll give a plus one to the idea of getting an old Tilt-All tripod for your Takumar. Back when your lens was new, that would have been a class act tripod to put under it.

The old Linhof tripods were also wonderful things in their day. Surprisingly light, but locked down sturdy and tight. Any Asahi Pentax owner would have been proud to have one.
03-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
That Chinese head may end up being a bit smaller than it looks in the pictures.
I'm concerned about that also , but we shall see. Its load rating is OK though.
I guess I hijacked my own Vintage head thread...... into a Chinese head thread....lol
My whole idea was to keep costs Low.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 03-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.