Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian
cmohr's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brisbane. Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,457
The umbrella does bend away, I normally have like an "S" in the flexy bit near the clamp, so that moves the shaft away. The baby shade types have the shaft coming up on one side , not the middle, so that puts it out of the way as well.

I'll see if I can dig mine out , set it up and grab a picture in the next day or so.

03-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
The umbrella does bend away, I normally have like an "S" in the flexy bit near the clamp, so that moves the shaft away. The baby shade types have the shaft coming up on one side , not the middle, so that puts it out of the way as well.

I'll see if I can dig mine out , set it up and grab a picture in the next day or so.
Yeh i managed to find that pic just shortly after posting my last post, and it had a second image for the flexy bendy bit;



Looks good! Looks like it would work, just a shame I can't actually change the type of umbrella attached. $20... prolly will order one today

I'm just concerned slightly if it will clamp ok to my tripods and how versatile that might be (thickness of pole/shaft etc)
03-13-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian
cmohr's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brisbane. Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,457
I know mine goes on my Manfrotto legs, and my mini slik tripod. Also, the arm on my Desmond Gimbal , but I must admit I didn't really like it there, can cause vibrations and blurr. I dont think its a chance on my Gitzo Mine is also pretty old, I've had it for about 10 years or so.

No Camping stores near you??? Be ideal for you to pop in and try it on the tripod you have inmind. Just to be sure, or even check a Pram shop. ( Oh one other thing , one of the guys here at work mentioned when I was talking about it ) Check Golf shops, apparantly there a very similar thing for golf carts, might have a longer arm ect, not sure, but something else to check .
03-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #19
pid
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 406
best try to find a friendly assistent who can hold an umbrella ;-)

03-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I know mine goes on my Manfrotto legs, and my mini slik tripod. Also, the arm on my Desmond Gimbal , but I must admit I didn't really like it there, can cause vibrations and blurr. I dont think its a chance on my Gitzo Mine is also pretty old, I've had it for about 10 years or so.

No Camping stores near you??? Be ideal for you to pop in and try it on the tripod you have inmind. Just to be sure, or even check a Pram shop. ( Oh one other thing , one of the guys here at work mentioned when I was talking about it ) Check Golf shops, apparantly there a very similar thing for golf carts, might have a longer arm ect, not sure, but something else to check .
Ah... I hadn't actually thought of that, perhaps taking two tripods is necessary after all, depends on the shutter speed and how heavy/secure the tripod is and how hard the rain falls I guess.

I had a look on Anaconda online, couldn't find anything, perhaps it's in shop and just not online, might give them a call. Thanks also for the Golf suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
best try to find a friendly assistent who can hold an umbrella ;-)
I'd rather trust a static tripod than a wandering bored wife...
03-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian
cmohr's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brisbane. Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,457
Sorry Green Man, I actually can't find the damn brolley.... I'm between cars at the moment, and I think it might be in a bag of stuff I removed from the old one, but, never made it to the new one.

Hopefully it's not lost forever. Hopefully it's not raining down there, it's quite rainious up here.
03-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Sorry Green Man, I actually can't find the damn brolley.... I'm between cars at the moment, and I think it might be in a bag of stuff I removed from the old one, but, never made it to the new one.

Hopefully it's not lost forever. Hopefully it's not raining down there, it's quite rainious up here.
Ha! That's quite alright, mine arrived yesterday. I grabbed it for $20 last week (including shipping) so I thought that was a good deal, worse case scenario it doesn't work out well for me but then I do actually have a camping chair and now something to keep me shaded next time in that chair

I think my flow will be like this;
  • walk in the rain to the location
  • get tripod out, adjust height and setup to approximately where I think I want to take the shot
  • get the umbrella out and attach to the tripod, adjust so that it passes comfortably and I can mount the camera
  • now that I have some relief from the rain, get the camera out and dock it to the tripod and make height/position adjustments
  • now if the rain is too much and giving way to causing too much vibrations on the setup, then undock the umbrella and hold it by hand whilst the shots are being taken
  • reverese the procedure to pack up

I think it'll work fine. Thanks once again for the advice and suggestion.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
mini umbrella, tripod, umbrella, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend me an umbrella and umbrella stand Outis Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 1 06-12-2016 02:31 AM
Umbrella monopod -- not monopod umbrella ChopperCharles Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 1 02-01-2013 12:41 PM
Wishing you did something different - or more of something.... interested_observer Photographic Technique 3 07-21-2012 10:29 PM
Mini HDMI port to mini display on macbook Rnovo Pentax K-5 6 05-17-2012 11:02 AM
Something new, something old, something awesome! RaduA Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 03-06-2008 11:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top