Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mini umbrella or something?

I plan to get out in the rain in the near future, grab some shots of waterfalls in full flow rather than my recent pathetic trickles I've managed.
Although the K-1 is WR, some of my lenses are not, it appears to me I need some kind of 'umbrella' system for setting up a tripodded shot etc. I mean... when you go bush walking, its not practical to hold a properly umbrella as you go around, I don't mind ME getting wet, I just want the tripod, camera and some of me protected so that I can lens swap etc without jeopardising my non WR equipment.

So what's the deal with this sorta set up, what's our options? Crack open the tripod, set it up, pull out a generic umbrella, somehow clip it to the tripod with a clever attachment of some sort, then proceed? I guess wind and stuff blowing over increases with mounting an umbrella, definitely use yer rucksack/sling bag to weigh the tripod down?

03-12-2018, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I know what you mean, I have a clip on camping chair umbrella, for this and also when out in the sun, keeps a bit of shade over the camera. I can't find a pick of one at the moment, but it's not a big umbrella , has a clip that clamps to a chair ( or tripod leg ) and a bendy bit at the bottom so you can move it around to get the cover you need. I sometime leave the clamp inplace as the umbrella bit just slides off that, works well. Just watch out for wind......

Here's a pic a found .

Last edited by cmohr; 03-12-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: pic
03-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Yeah, I know what you mean, I have a clip on camping chair umbrella, for this and also when out in the sun, keeps a bit of shade over the camera. I can't find a pick of one at the moment, but it's not a big umbrella , has a clip that clamps to a chair ( or tripod leg ) and a bendy bit at the bottom so you can move it around to get the cover you need. I sometime leave the clamp inplace as the umbrella bit just slides off that, works well. Just watch out for wind......

Here's a pic a found .
You find it 'gets out the way' of the camera enough when attached? It kind looks like it would 'bash' the camera if mounted to the main spine of the tripod, I'm not sure it would work on a tripod leg but if you say it works then...

Perhaps just need to take a drive to Anaconda

What about a transparent umbrella? So you don't lose additional valuable light? Can you change the umbrella in the clampy bit or take the clampy bit and put on yer own Umbrella (like a HULK umbrella for example )
03-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The bottom shaft near the clamp in completely flexy, bends every way, so No not in the way. I have also mounted it on an older gimbal head ( on the outside, so it moved with the camear panning ect, (Again, not for windy conditions.

I dont know about a different umbrella, The one it has has been fine for me, It's also a spring loaded pop up one, so only takes a press of the catch and it's up, again about as easy as I needed.

There's quite a few designs of these things, I have also seen bay pram ones, in different colours , they also clip on with a clamp, have adjustable tilt ect, but seem a little square on the shade with the support commimg up from the side , not the centre like a traditional umbrella.

As with light, when I am using it out in the field, it's normally with a telephoto so no, I have used once on a bushwalk, but I was using a LED macro light anyway, so no issues.

03-12-2018, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a custom-made of something similar to this. It is not as perfectly fit as Peakdesign's product but you get the idea. And if it is windy, I usually have a pocket size small umbrella to help protect the front glass which most of the time, it doesn't help much!
and No lens chang in the rain or near waterfall.
03-12-2018, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here you go...... Problem Solved

03-12-2018, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here you go...... Problem Solved
Don't be ridiculous, I need something for rain, that thing has a hole in it! But don't worry I found what I was looking for;

http://www.nubrella.com/?v=6cc98ba2045f
03-12-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, I know what you mean, I have a clip on camping chair umbrella
it's way too large. I'm guessing Bruce means a mini-umbrella that mounts of the flash hotshoe to protect his K1, yellow rain coat for K1 could also work. Those are idea for Pentax accessories or marketing goodies :-)

03-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
it's way too large. I'm guessing Bruce means a mini-umbrella that mounts of the flash hotshoe to protect his K1, yellow rain coat for K1 could also work. Those are idea for Pentax accessories or marketing goodies :-)
I was thinking about a hot shoe mount type thing a small umbrella or some other framing that provided some dryness for the lens attached as well, does it exist? If it's bucketing down then an umbrella would be a welcome addition as well. I think I just need/want a clamping mechanism so I can choose the umbrella I want to afix, size, transparency etc. If it is absolutely chucking it down, I might want a really large umbrella to fit me under as well! Other times a small one might suffice.
03-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Don't be ridiculous, I need something for rain, that thing has a hole in it! But don't worry I found what I was looking for;

http://www.nubrella.com/?v=6cc98ba2045f

What happened to a standard umbrella?

Remember to put a review to photo accessories section.
03-13-2018, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #11
pid

old hack from times when WR was not available: take a thin plastic bag and cut a hole for the front lens. Screw in a Filter Ring to hold the plastic bag. Thats all. Only works with lenses which dont have a rotating front element. You can screw the ring first and than cut the hole, but be careful not to scratch the lens. Instead of a filter ring often the hood and some gaffertape is enough to fix the plastic bag. Or you simply fix it with a rubberband.
https://www.google.de/search?q=plastic+bag+over+camera+lens&client=firefox-b...=2051&bih=1471

Last edited by pid; 03-13-2018 at 01:46 AM.
03-13-2018, 01:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote

What happened to a standard umbrella?

Remember to put a review to photo accessories section.
It's where to 'dock' the umbrella, and whether the photography world has already invented a clamp that can dock easily to a variety of Tripods to hold the umbrella and assist in this manner? A clamp that is versatile mind you, and can work around camera, flash, lenses etc. Does a thing like this really exist?

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
old hack from times when WR was not available: take a thin plastic bag and cut a hole for the front lens. Screw in a Filter Ring to hold the plastic bag. Thats all. Only works with lenses which dont have a rotating front element. You can screw the ring first and than cut the hole, but be careful not to scratch the lens. Instead of a filter ring often the hood and some gaffertape is enough to fix the plastic bag. Or you simply fix it with a rubberband.
plastic bag over camera lens - Google Search
Not bad, but I'm thinking an umbrella would be better. I mean even just pullin the camera out of the bag and trying to sort the plastic bag out properly around the lens etc makes it seem... not great. Or what if you want a lens swap?
03-13-2018, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm, in all seriousness, getting that Peak Design camera cover, looks really good.

Also, an umbrella hat, but only if it comes with duel beer can holders.
03-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
pid

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
It's where to 'dock' the umbrella, and whether the photography world has already invented a clamp that can dock easily to a variety of Tripods to hold the umbrella and assist in this manner? A clamp that is versatile mind you, and can work around camera, flash, lenses etc. Does a thing like this really exist?

Not bad, but I'm thinking an umbrella would be better. I mean even just pullin the camera out of the bag and trying to sort the plastic bag out properly around the lens etc makes it seem... not great. Or what if you want a lens swap?
lens swap in rain? Not even recommended for WR lenses ;-) ... the plastic bag works very good. Take a big one and a rubberband.
Even Pros do did it for a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-Cover-Cameras-Lenses/dp/B004I2HBR6
03-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
lens swap in rain? Not even recommended for WR lenses ;-) ... the plastic bag works very good. Take a big one and a rubberband.
Even Pros do did it for a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-Cover-Cameras-Lenses/dp/B004I2HBR6?tag=pentaxforums-20&
I'm meaning undercover, so that you could lens swap if the rain was vertical (not blowing horizontal and getting underneath an umbrella etc).

Basically, where I live you'll only get the good waterfall shots either during rain or shortly after. We can't all time our lives around waiting for the rain to stop, sometimes we have to go when it is raining. There's raining and then there's RAINING. It differs in intensity and direction. If you're prepared and know the spot then before you leave the car you make the lens choice, and decide on ND filters and the like (shouldn't really be necessary tho on a rainy dull day, full flow doesn't really need a long exposure). However once you get down to the spot and set up, it would be nice to stay relatively dry, both your person and the equipment directly underneath. And if it's more like a light drizzle of rain you could lens swap if careful.

The peak design thing looks good if you make yer choice before leaving the vehicle, but surely it's possible to clamp a standard umbrella somehow to the tripod set up? I'd prefer not to have to go out with two tripods, one for the camera and the other for the umbrella. I can't see how docking the umbrella to the main tripod shaft would work unless there is a clamp of some sort that extends the umbrella outwards away from the main shaft etc.
The best choice thus far does seem to be the peakdesign cover/plastic bag and the Oztrail camper umbrella thing, I just can't find a shop to have a look at one before buying.