Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Think Tank Holster 50V 2.0 case

Anyone have one of these, to give an opinion? I'm seriously considering getting one.

Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 50 V2.0 (Black) 881 B&H Photo

03-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Carol, I just researched those before purchasing the super discounted prior model Lowepro Toploader 75 Pro AW. Super deal for about half price at $49.95 from B&H. That Think Tank model may be a bit short for your 300mm? But they have longer models too.

Good luck with a new toploader!
03-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ron, thank you! I would need one that is 14" long; however that's with the hood extended; which I wouldn't put it in the toploader that way, because it would just "collapse" the hood anyway. The one I linked to extends to 14.25", so should fit. I just hate messing with the hood, as it fits very snug, and am afraid by moving it often, it may loosen up.

I have searched for a shoulder bag that would accommodate the camera with the lens hood extended, and can't find one. That was my first choice.
03-17-2018, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I have the similar 20 v2.0 holster and I really like it. I can actually carry my K-1 with the D FA 150-450 attached with the hood reversed. It's a little snug, but it seems fine to me. I've gone on a number of hikes with this set-up. I usually use the holster with the accessory shoulder strap but other times I attach the holster to the compatible belt with which I can carry other lenses as well. I planned on using the holster just with my 60-250, 300 or my 24-70 but was happily surprised when it worked with my biggest lens. I have no complaints about the digital holster as it's worked very well for me.

03-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much Dave; glad to hear such a good report!
03-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carol, if it's any consolation, I bought that lens originally in 1996! The hood has been extended and retracted many hundreds of times in 22 years. I think it's window for loosening has been exceeded and you should be fine. That lens has lived in my boat for months at a time, been on the ocean half a dozen times, traveled under the back seat of my truck for a few years as my grab-n-go lens. Yes, I kept it unmarred through all that, but I doubt you'll ever give it a harder time than I did! She's a honey of a lens!

Regarding the top loader. If this is primarily for use wandering your lovely hillside, you may not need to look at storage other than body and lens? If it's excursionary or will accompany you for the prolific wildflower season about to begin for us, you may want to look at additional storage capability? I like to carry a super wide and a macro along with my 300/TC combo so considered extra lens storage too. Of course, started boating again along the ice edges in the lakes last week so my gear is back in Pelican cases anyway...the toploader is likely to be my grab-n-go system while driving more than a field pack.

P.S. fresh walleye dinner got the season started for me...walleye taco's for lunch today too! Winter is almost over, only 2 or 3 snow days projected this week! Phlox and ultra rare Kelseya will be blooming by mid April--first wildflowers for you and me. Google Kelseya, it's super cool...had a large image of Kelseya published in Montana Outdoors Annual Photo issue a few years ago...only grows on Limestone cliffs here in our county and in one county in ID and one county in WY. Take your toploader to Hellgate Gulch for Kelseya. Your telephoto is perfect for reaching cliff flowers just above your head! Come to think of it, I may have used your new lens for that published Kelseya image?

---------- Post added 03-17-18 at 03:12 PM ----------

Nope, image came from 200 macro shot wide open to exaggerate front bokeh...
03-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ron, that's good to know about the hood! I simply want a case for the camera/lens to ride in the car. Walking I would not be using a case. And of course, I can't walk far! HellGate looks really interesting; but after having my vehicle towed twice in the last 6 months, I'm very reluctant to venture off the beaten path. Never had heard of that flower, very cool that it's so rare! Looks like it's a mossy plant.