Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
What backpacks do you guys recommend that are able to carry-on in airlines?
It REALLY depends on your needs.

For me the best camera backpack is the Mindshift Gear Horizon. But I'm a hiker. The Manfrotto Off Road Hiker is a close second.

For someone in a more journalistic mindset, I'd say the Think Tank Shape Shifter is a great choice (I'm selling mine currently but don't let that influence you). Lowepro makes a LOT of interesting products too. Peak Design makes a fantastic backpack with a more "urban" style.

I'd venture to say that most backpacks are airplane compatible.

EDIT: Bonus question, can you even carry tripods on airplanes? If so, what are the size limit?
Yes you can. It has to fit in-on your bag, else it counts as an item.

03-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What backpacks do you guys recommend that are able to carry-on in airlines?

EDIT: Bonus question, can you even carry tripods on airplanes? If so, what are the size limit?
Depends what you what to fit I suppose 😁
Anyway, every holiday I take my lowepro Flipside 300 (original, not the new version).
I can fit the Sirui T-025X inside it too.
This usually allows camera and lens attached plus anything between 3 to 5 other lenses with cable release, spare batteries and cards etc.

Not sure about taking tripods on separately- most airlines want to charge for or not allow two items of cabin baggage these days.
03-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

i stumbled across this the other day. It’s not a backpack, but maybe someone makes one similar. It has the advantage of storing the tripod internally.

Vanguard VEO 37 Shoulder Bag VEO 37 B&H Photo Video
03-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Check out the weight of carry-on bag itself. Usually well built bags tend to be heavier, and they eat in to the overall weight that you are allowed carry.

03-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bag I have used for flights is the LowePro FlipSide 400AW. It is roomy, well built, and has fit well under the seat of most planes I have been on.

For the free carry on itself for example, the following is a quote for Delta: "Baggage must meet carry on size limits (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm)"

They also allow a free additional item which is either able to fit under the seat in front of you or smaller. The following quote from Delta expresses those alternatives:

"Approved Personal Items
•1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
•or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
•or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above"

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 03:09 PM ----------

Below is also another quote from the Delta page. It refers to weight preferences:

"Carry-on Weight Restrictions

No maximum weight applies to carry-on baggage except in the below stations:
•Singapore, Singapore - Changi International Airport (SIN) carry on should not exceed 15 lbs. (7kgs)
•Beijing, China - Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) requires that domestic hand carry bags should not exceed 10kgs. Individual carrier rules apply for international flights.
•Shanghai, China - Pudong International Airport (PVG) carry on should not exceed 22lbs. (10kgs)"
03-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch you guys, didn't expect to get so many replies. I am going to have to downgrade my backpack, right now I have a Whistler BP 350 AW and it is massive.
03-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one no one has mentioned. Amazon Basics DSLR backpack. I would never have picked it but my dad did for himself and I own one. It is small - much smaller than the max sizes listed. It is also well built and easy to reconfigure. It isn't fancy. it doesn't have a sling function, and it opens like a normal bag. It's black and obviously a camera bag. It isn't theft proof. But it is CHEAP and functional.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Backpack-DSLR-Cameras-Accessories/dp/B00...70_&dpSrc=srch

And I have a lot of bags as some may recall from my man reclining with bags shot... lol. I do not use it often as I prefer a smaller number of items in a sling bag but it is a good bag if you like backpack style and don't require laptop/tablet etc.

One more complaint - common to a lot of bags - black interiors suck light. The ones I have that are bright orange inside or bright yellow are so much easier on my old eyes. I actually lost my DA 15 for a week inside a Domke bag because I looked and clearly it wasn't there. (I finally reached deep into the bag and found it!)

EDIT AGAIN: and don't expect the waist belt to work if you are overweight... It's not very generously proportioned. But the standard straps work fine.

03-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #23

I recently (last week) took my Lowepro Fastpack 350 as a carry-on.

I carried my K3 w/grip+attached 70-200 Tamron, 16-85, 10-20 Sigma, 13" laptop, iPad, and in the top compartment, the laptop charger, several cables, batteries, lens pen. Only thing I don't like about that bag, is the lack of a tripod strap.

The tripod I carried in my checked bag, which I never ended up using in any case. Can't imagine carrying a tripod on the plane, unless it was part of your personal item bag.
03-20-2018, 04:54 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Usually well built bags tend to be heavier
I somewhat disagree. It certainly was true in the past, and is still sometimes true (the Whistler 350 mentioned above is an example) but many, many newer products are both light and sturdy. Just take a look at the Mindshift Gear line, for instance.
03-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
... But I'm a hiker. The Manfrotto Off Road Hiker is a close second.
I got one of these recently based on a mention here, and have used it a couple of times. It fits under the seat well enough on a Southwest and United 737-800, United 757-200 and Hawaiian 717. The camera compartment is handy enough to remove the camera when I go through security. It's comfortable to wear with a lot of stuff in it.

I always sit in the middle seat of the typical 737. There's slightly more room to put the bag. It sort of fits under the aisle seat but not easily. I had another backpack that was the same size and flew frequently in the US without issues.

Denver is pretty slow for checked bags and it will probably get worse over time. It's slightly better in the summer. In the winter people bring skis.
04-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro, mentioned above, closely enough fits United Airlines’ requirement for a personal item.

Rick “who selected it for that purpose” Denney