Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bogen Manfrotto tripods

I'm considering the purchase of a new tripod, and some of the Bogen Manfrotto models with the center column that rotates 90 degrees to a horizontal position are on my short list. I was wondering just how often is that feature actually used by those who own one of these models. In other words, should this feature be considered a high priority option in purchasing a tripod, or is it merely a sales gimmick? Thanks for your input.

CN

09-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A little of both, I'd say.

I have the 055XPROB and 322RC2 grip head, and for closeup/macro work where getting physically close is necessary it is an awesome feature. You can use it as a boom to extend out away from the legs or over the top of your subject (be careful though or your fancy glass is gonna do a face plant!), and with the right ball head you can get right down on the ground.
There are also multi-head accessory columns you can get for the 190/055 pods so you can run 2 bodies, or lights, etc. with the column in horizontal mode though I have not tried these myself.

If you do macro/closeup work, or love gadgets, and I'm a bit of both they're great. If not then the non-"PRO" versions of the pods, without the boom feature, are a better value.

As an aside, I love the grip head but at times wish I had a more compact, simple and lighter one for lugging around. The 055/322 combo is a tad bit heavy @ 6lbs (and long @ 35" collapsed).
09-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
I'm considering the purchase of a new tripod, and some of the Bogen Manfrotto models with the center column that rotates 90 degrees to a horizontal position are on my short list.
I finally bought a heavy tripod and went with a cross bar type. I looked at the Manfrotto models but decided on the Induro AX-214.

Part of the reason for going with the Induro model was the center column has a lot more horizontal adjustment than the Manfrotto models. The Manfrotto models only do 90 degrees, the Induro can do a full 180 degree sweep. The other part was Amazon had the AX-214 for US $149,. The usual street price is US $186. It was down to US $129 at one point, and I'm kicking myself for not getting it then.

With the legs fully extended, the center post collapsed, and the camera on a 3 3/4 inch tall ball head and QR system, the top of the QR base is at 62 inches. Add another 3 inch of camera below the viewfinder and the height of the view finder with center column collapsed is around 65 inches or about 5 foot 5 inches.

The tripod comes with a shoulder strap and bag, both are pretty nice quality wise. The Shoulder strap can be used with or without the bag to carry the tripod. It also comes with a small tool pouch, again nicely made, that has a nut wrench, an Allen wrench, and three spiked feet for the legs.

The tripod is a bit heavy, I bought the aluminum version, so it is to be expected. The tripod is rated for 17 lbs. The ball head I'm using is rated for 22 pounds. I think this will work out for a while.

I didn't answer your question about if the horizontal ability being a gimmick because I just haven't used the tripod enough to know. I prefer to have the option versus not having it, as I can't see any issue in having it available, except the added weight. A year or two from now, I might be able to answer, but for now it is just something I want in a tripod versus need to have.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-04-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
09-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm considering the purchase of a new tripod, and some of the Bogen Manfrotto models with the center column that rotates 90 degrees to a horizontal position are on my short list. I was wondering just how often is that feature actually used by those who own one of these models. In other words, should this feature be considered a high priority option in purchasing a tripod, or is it merely a sales gimmick? Thanks for your input.

CN
I don't know how often I'll end up using it, but my new (couple months) 190X Pro B has been used on some flowers & spiders in the garden, and as a quickie means of shooting photos of documents (our work travel system requires submitting images of receipts, and it's easier to take a pic than to deal with our office's scanner...).

So it's useful for me, but it'll depend on what you want to shoot I guess

Jim

09-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i have the 055xprob with a markins m10 and i love it. rarely use the horizontal position but i'm glad it's there. it's great for macro work
09-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

one things i don't like about the manfrotto tripods is the joints are sealed like the feisol/induro/gitzos. so whenever i go out on harsh environments, like use it in the rain in the mountains, beach (also submerged in saltwater) etc, i make sure to disassemble and clean it to prevent corrosion. But for the price it can't be beat.

someday i'll get a gitzo or feisol for harsh environment trips as i'm quite the outdoorsman. but i love the 055xprob, got it for about $120
09-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bogen Manfrotto tripods

Thanks to each of you for your help. I've decided to go with the 055 model because of the extra height above the 190. (I'm 6'2") That leads to the choice of aluminum or carbon fiber. Interestingly, the carbon fiber model (055MF3) is only $75 more expensive than the 055XPROB aluminum one. Also of interest is the fact that it's only about a half pound lighter, so neither weight nor cost is that much of a consideration. My thinking is that the carbon fiber model would be more user friendly in cold weather than the aluminum one, and I also seem to remember having read somewhere that carbon fiber tripods are less prone to vibration. Does this sound right?

CN

09-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks to each of you for your help. I've decided to go with the 055 model because of the extra height above the 190. (I'm 6'2") That leads to the choice of aluminum or carbon fiber. Interestingly, the carbon fiber model (055MF3) is only $75 more expensive than the 055XPROB aluminum one. Also of interest is the fact that it's only about a half pound lighter, so neither weight nor cost is that much of a consideration. My thinking is that the carbon fiber model would be more user friendly in cold weather than the aluminum one, and I also seem to remember having read somewhere that carbon fiber tripods are less prone to vibration. Does this sound right?

CN
I have an elderly 055B, and it is obviously alumninium, since they did not make carbon fiber tripods 15 or 20 years ago. The solution to the cold weather problem, of which we suffer a fair bit, is to mount water pipe insulation on the upper legs with electrical tape. It also makes the tripod easier on the shoulder.

I use the 0168 ball head.

For macro work I use a Benbo Trekker. I still "spaghetti"* it every now and then, but I have learned not to let go of the camera when adjusting it. The leg with the ball head on it goes in any position, as do all th other legs. One small thing about the Benbo is that when working in the swamp the legs stay dry. The big part is on the bottom, in the mud, and the top of the legs slide inside.

* The Benbo has a single locking lever that lets all four tubes loose on a curved pivot, at the same time. I've learned not to unlock things too quickly, and to leave a bit of friction on to avoid everything falling down in a heap. The last interesting place I used it was on a 60 degree slope, trying to take a picture of a group of hikers, including me. It worked.
09-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

CN
i'm not sure about the cold weather because it doesn't snow here in the philippines

but i prefer the 055 because i like the sturdy feeling i get from it, and it can handle better loads and is more stable than the 190 version. however i can't compare it to the 055MF3. i had a friend that tried it out but said it corroded easily when he tested it for a magazine, he's always traveling to the islands and mountains.

so it depends where you plan to use them i guess

you might want to take a look at the feisols, they have really good CF models from $215 upwards. i plan to someday get their $299 "tournament" class version, sealed joints, good for corrosion prevention.

oh i always stick to 3-section tripods, much better stability

here's a FANTASTIC read on tripods: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

(trust me you'll want to read it )
09-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
i'm not sure about the cold weather because it doesn't snow here in the philippines

here's a FANTASTIC read on tripods: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

(trust me you'll want to read it )
You're right, it is a great read. I came across it several days ago, and have read it more than once. Having said that, however, I'm realistic enough to realize that when it comes to tripods and ball heads I'll never go first class. At some point the extra cost is for the aesthetic value, and the ratio of quality received for dollars spent becomes smaller and smaller. It's similar to my choice of watches. I have a Seiko rather than a Timex, but could never imagine dropping a bundle on a Rolex, for example, just for the pride of ownership. If I honestly thought that my photography would improve by using a more expensive setup I could eventually justify the added expense, but we all know better than that.

CN
09-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You're right, it is a great read. I came across it several days ago, and have read it more than once. Having said that, however, I'm realistic enough to realize that when it comes to tripods and ball heads I'll never go first class. At some point the extra cost is for the aesthetic value, and the ratio of quality received for dollars spent becomes smaller and smaller. It's similar to my choice of watches. I have a Seiko rather than a Timex, but could never imagine dropping a bundle on a Rolex, for example, just for the pride of ownership. If I honestly thought that my photography would improve by using a more expensive setup I could eventually justify the added expense, but we all know better than that.

CN
manfrotto should serve you well for the price if you're planning to use it a lot in areas with saltwater, i would advise to go for ones with sealed joints like gitzo (too expensive for me) and feisol

good luck in your decision, let us know which one you end up with!
09-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
manfrotto should serve you well for the price if you're planning to use it a lot in areas with saltwater, i would advise to go for ones with sealed joints like gitzo (too expensive for me) and feisol

good luck in your decision, let us know which one you end up with!
FYI I decided to purchase the Manfrotto 055MF3, and ordered it today from BH Photo.

CN
09-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
LSR

I have the 055MF3, value for money was great so I couldn't turn it down.

I picked the MF3 because carbon does absorb vibrations better than most aluminium alloys. Never used the rotating column but might in the future, the MF3 does give a nice range of minimum height to maximum height so it's pretty versatile.

So far I've found it easy to set up, stores to a decent size to carry, and it is nicer on the hands setting it up in colder weather

I'd recommend it to almost anyone.
09-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

While I was out and about today, I made a point to stop off at the only Mom & Pop camera store left in my area (as far as I know). I went in after a monopod head, but I wound up ordering a set of new tripod legs--the Bogen Manfrotto 190XB to replace the heavy, really clunky BM 3001 legs that I have.

They had a set of BM 190XDB legs that I could've carried home today if I had wanted to, but I'd rather have the flip locks of the XB. The local store's price wasn't outrageously more than Adorama's, so I jumped. It'll take at least a week for them to get to the store, but it'll be worth the wait. I like being able to support local businesses.

I'll be putting the 3001 legs up for sale as soon as I can find a box that they will fit in.

Heather
09-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congratulations on your purchase of a new BM tripod. That would probably have been my choice except for my height of 74 inches. Height sometimes has its advantages, but it can be a handicap sometimes also.

CN