Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Track Sliders

Recently I invested in a track slider. Something I thought would have great utility in many applications. Like every time you are using a tripod.

There are many brands to choose from at different price levels many well under $100US. After a quick comparison I went with the VidPro 24" Professional Track Slider & Skater Dolly Combo. It was $90US. All the brands look to be made from the same types of materials as the VidPro. It was exactly what I was hoping. The materials are solid. Every thing comes apart in particular the VidPro Skater Dolly wheels can be taken off. Even the end legs can be removed to just have the rail attached to a tripod.

Where a rail comes in handy is giving some leeway to moving the camera without having to move the tripod entirely. Close Macro work in studio or in the field greatly benefits from a track slider. Like in the yard capturing all those Spring flowers coming around the corner in the Northern Hemisphere. Then of course all those other things that really benefit from the use of a track slider like stitching images together with great precision. Even in a bird stand shooting through a window a track slider gives some left to right movement for greater angle of view.

Being aluminum the VidPro is fairly light. Light enough it is worth taking to save on time not having to reposition your tripod as much.

I think it was well worth the $90US. I don't see how the wives could object. Anyone else using one?

03-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Track Sliders
Same but Different : Rails for Macro, Product & Portraiture etc. No dolly's. Few years back I bought 12 " & 6 " 2 Way rails from the Orient and put them together for a 12 " - 4 Way for my heavy Manfroto and 6 " - 4 way for my lighter and more portable Velbon with ball head. They are both mounted on common release plates so can be used on anything I have. (mono pod ,table pod, window pod) They are very sturdy and can handle the weight of K3 + grip + Sigma Bigma. They have screw adjuster knobs and locking knobs. I have put common release plates on all my Cameras and long lenses incl some point & shooters. There are lots of male and female 1/4 screw mounts on both sizes and the 12" rails have 4 flash hot shoe receivers. I believe back in the day the hole kit & cabootle cost me about $100 USD. I brought it in the house one piece at a time and it suddenly showed up as if it had been there forever.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:29 AM.
03-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sliders/racks can be quite useful for many purposes.

Here's one of a few I've cobbled together from old, cannibalized bellows. Disassemble, modify and re-assemble parts in whatever configuration needed. The lens mount bracket(s) have been removed (hacksaw) and the camera mount flipped in this example. Two racks may be stacked at 90-degrees for additional flexibility. A bubble level affixed to the frame (glued?) may be useful as well.

Many cheap re-badged, third party bellows used common parts making mix-and-match projects easy.

03-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've got a Rig Rat slider that I use for video. I'd never thought about using it for still photography. I also have a macro focusing rail so I'd always used that when needed. Using my slider is a good idea though. It offers a lot more movement. Thanks!

03-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Sliders/racks can be quite useful for many purposes.

Here's one of a few I've cobbled together from old, cannibalized bellows. Disassemble, modify and re-assemble parts in whatever configuration needed. The lens mount bracket(s) have been removed (hacksaw) and the camera mount flipped in this example. Two racks may be stacked at 90-degrees for additional flexibility. A bubble level affixed to the frame (glued?) may be useful as well.

Many cheap re-badged, third party bellows used common parts making mix-and-match projects easy.
OK ! What I really want to know is...on the second image , what /where is that base ? Aluminum ? Easily obtainable ?
04-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
What I really want to know
Check PMs - 3/31/18 -

Aluminum 'hat-section' extrusion available at local metal supply / recycling shops
04-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Same but Different : Rails for Macro, Product & Portraiture etc. No dolly's. Few years back I bought 12 " & 6 " 2 Way rails from the Orient and put them together for a 12 " - 4 Way for my heavy Manfroto and 6 " - 4 way for my lighter and more portable Velbon with ball head. They are both mounted on common release plates so can be used on anything I have. (mono pod ,table pod, window pod) They are very sturdy and can handle the weight of K3 + grip + Sigma Bigma. They have screw adjuster knobs and locking knobs. I have put common release plates on all my Cameras and long lenses incl some point & shooters. There are lots of male and female 1/4 screw mounts on both sizes and the 12" rails have 4 flash hot shoe receivers. I believe back in the day the hole kit & cabootle cost me about $100 USD. I brought it in the house one piece at a time and it suddenly showed up as if it had been there forever.
My apologies honey bo bo for seemingly in not including the ladies as the husbands have a lot to learn from the wives.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. One of those $20 6" adjustment plates will really complete what I need.

honey bo bo you may be able to transition in a track slider by just adding your rig on top as if it were always set up like that.