Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Slipping Manfrotto 679B monopod

I have a Manfrotto 679B monopod, that I bought for it's sturdiness and load capacity (22.05 lbs / 10.00 kg). It has recently started to loose its capability to hold weight. It now easily starts to slide down even with lightest load. Just yesterday I had my K10D with a FA 35mm on it and every time when I just put my hands to the camera, the monopod started to slide down under my hands. I could prevent this for some extend by twisting the pipes but it is not much help.

Has anyone else experience this and is there anything I could do to get it back holding the weight it should hold!

The monopod is relatively new and well kept, no damages anywhere.

09-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should just be a matter of tightening the clamps. There should have been a small tool in the box to do this (unless they have changed the design).
09-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye, there was a funny wee thing that looked like a bike clip, for tightening up the clamps of my 680B
09-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There was no tool in my package, and I can't find any tool of my own to fit the clamp screws, looks as if they are not tightenable? Hope I am wrong and find a way to tighten them...

09-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
There was no tool in my package, and I can't find any tool of my own to fit the clamp screws, looks as if they are not tightenable? Hope I am wrong and find a way to tighten them...
If it's Manfrotto, I'm sure they can be tightened. Check out Allen keys/wrenches. My 0168 uses an Allen key.

Also, a long shot, but my Allen key is actually part of the tripod, not a separate tool. It's on the tripod mount, below both quick adjust levers.
09-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I finally got it - with a little shame too...

The screws simply had black covers that were round and fooled me. I just removed the covers to get to the bolts. And I had all the tools needed in my tool cabinet.

And this whole circus involved, let me count, three guys to help me out!

I think it's partly because of my bad near sightedness, I did not see there were those covers. Thank you guys warmly for the readiness to help the blind

Last edited by gawan; 09-10-2008 at 07:01 AM.
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Gawan, Your welcome.