Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 05:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Nobody is suggesting carrying a tripod on an aircraft - it has to go in checked baggage if it doesn't fit in a carry-on, and a standard-sized tripod won't fit.
Well, many people are, me included. I've traveled with tripods all the time, inside or outside my carry-own backpacks. Often the tripod was taller than the backpack. Never had problems. Canadian and USA companies allow tripods in planes.

04-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The tripod without head exceeds the allowed dimension for length of a carry-on - by several inches. I have had bags "sized" at the gate (and just barely got by.) While obviously some people get by with larger carry-ons, it's entirely a gamble - and I've had tripods damaged when not packed properly in baggage (once when packed relatively well), so what do you do if it's denied?

Yes in the pre-9/11 era I would fly with my similar-sized tripod (with spikes too), but I would also belt my second bag into the always-empty seat besides me. The airlines stopped letting me do that even before 9/11.
04-25-2018, 04:11 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I purchased a backpack a couple of months ago, fits all my gear and my 15" laptop!

Evercase Evercase Professional Large DSLR Camera and 15.6-inch Laptop Backpack w/Rai reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Camera Backpack/Rucksack Bag with many versatile features including accessory pockets, rain cover, tripod holder with strap. External Dimensions: 17.5 x 11.5 x 7 inches
Includes around the waist strap
Fits a 15" laptop nicely and more

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/evercase-evecase-professional-...#ixzz5DgbhXmMS

Last edited by SharkyCA; 04-25-2018 at 05:22 AM.
04-25-2018, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found this resource on the web [ which means - that it is correct and up to date maybe ]

" Carry-On Size Chart: 170+ Airlines

There is no one standard carry on luggage size or international carry on size. Each airline comes up with their own restrictions on size, weight, and number of items allowed in the cabin. In order to help you figure out the right dimensions for your carry-on bag, we’ve compiled the ultimate guide to hand luggage sizes and weight restrictions. You’ll find carry-on restrictions and limitations for more than 170 airlines worldwide right here in the only carry-on size chart you’ll ever need. "

Carry-On Size Chart: 170+ Airlines - Travel Made Simple

BTW, did you see this?

Alaska Airlines and Virgin America want your carry-on bags to be 32% smaller

" The two carriers, owned by the Alaska Air Group, are shrinking the maximum size of carry-on bags by 32%, starting in less than two months. The airlines say the new restrictions are intended to bring the carriers in line with the size limits of competing airlines. . . . be no bigger than 22 inches long, 14 inches high and 9 inches wide. Those are the same maximum dimensions for carry-on bags on Delta, United and American, which set an informal industry standard given their positions as top carriers. There are no federal regulations governing carry-on bags.

Alaska Airlines currently allows carry-on bags up to 24 inches long, 17 inches high and 10 inches wide. Virgin America imposes a maximum outside linear dimension of 51 inches, which equates to the same limit as Alaska Airlines'."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-travel-briefcase-alaska-carry-on-20180414-story.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-25-2018 at 04:39 AM.
04-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will add here...Air India is CRAZY strict...best to avoid them at all costs. I spent close to $3000 USD in extra baggage fees while I was traveling intra India doing a photo/video project.

And they were pretty nasty too!

Also...don't forget there are some countries that will want a Carnet if you carry too much "pro gear".

That is another nightmare best saved for another day!

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I found this resource on the web [ which means - that it is correct and up to date maybe ]

" Carry-On Size Chart: 170+ Airlines

There is no one standard carry on luggage size or international carry on size. Each airline comes up with their own restrictions on size, weight, and number of items allowed in the cabin. In order to help you figure out the right dimensions for your carry-on bag, we’ve compiled the ultimate guide to hand luggage sizes and weight restrictions. You’ll find carry-on restrictions and limitations for more than 170 airlines worldwide right here in the only carry-on size chart you’ll ever need. "

Carry-On Size Chart: 170+ Airlines - Travel Made Simple

BTW, did you see this?

" The two carriers, owned by the Alaska Air Group, are shrinking the maximum size of carry-on bags by 32%, starting in less than two months. The airlines say the new restrictions are intended to bring the carriers in line with the size limits of competing airlines. . . . be no bigger than 22 inches long, 14 inches high and 9 inches wide. Those are the same maximum dimensions for carry-on bags on Delta, United and American, which set an informal industry standard given their positions as top carriers. There are no federal regulations governing carry-on bags.

Alaska Airlines currently allows carry-on bags up to 24 inches long, 17 inches high and 10 inches wide. Virgin America imposes a maximum outside linear dimension of 51 inches, which equates to the same limit as Alaska Airlines'."

04-26-2018, 05:22 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had to look this up:

What is a Carnet | USCIB
04-26-2018, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I had to look this up:

What is a Carnet | USCIB
Yep. Some, probably most countries allow a substantial amount of "personal" media gear. Some countries are sticklers. However ALL countries are a hassle to 1) Find the export/import location(s) in the Airport 2) People who know what a Carnet is for. 3) Fighting and waiting in the lines when you find the place(s). 4) dealing with the Airlines.

Yep...I have the "scars" of being a media professional that travels the world doing their job.

04-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It's getting harder and harder to fly with media gear...trust me.
Within the USA is one thing. International travel from the USA is another thing.
Outside the USA? It's the wild west!!!!
Batteries, and "power packs" seem to be the "thing" now, and any kind of battery seems to be scrutinized.
At SFO, for international flights, all cameras come OUT of whatever they are in, and go bouncing along in the security bins.
No foam. No protection.
Batteries in China?
They don't care if they are LiPo or LiIon - they are scrutinized. Anything not an AA or AAA battery will need to be carried with you in the cabin.
Those batteries will eat up the weight you are allowed to carry with you.
As a professional it's really becoming difficult to get to some places because of all the rules. China especially. I had batteries confiscated because the security people thought they were LiPo.
They were half charged Sony LiIon lighting batteries that were in their lighting cases and approved for baggage. Gone. If I had to carry all the batteries with me, I would only have batteries. It cracks me up that I GOT the batteries because they were flown FROM CHINA...but if I fly with them, they were confiscated.
It's really really hard these days to fly with media gear.
I traveled to China a year and a half ago. Took 3 hours to get through security lines, that prominently stated Li-on batteries were not allowed.
Good thing I was traveling with a K-30 and AA batteries only ! If you have another camera, get a grip and AAs too if you travel to China.
The stupidest thing is that almost every phone has non-removable Lion batteries these days. They don't confiscate all those phones.

05-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just returned from my trip to and from Yellowstone

as far as carry on luggage, I used my Ruggard Thunderhead 75

IMGP0780a1a.jpg - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

a GRM Vintage DSLR SLR Messenger Bag Canvas Leather Shockproof Camera Shoulder Bag bought from Amazon

a Cabela's multi pocket vest

and a bag containing my CPAP machine ( exempt from carry on regulations in the US

I am in the precheck program, so I did not have to open up any of the carry on luggage.

I urge folks who fly to check that program out. it helps.

TSA Pre✓® | Transportation Security Administration

no problems at all with the carry on luggage except for the fact they had put me on a very small plane and the over head bins would not accept regulation size carry on luggage. I had to gate check the Ruggard Thunderhead 75

tripods were in checked luggage and again no problem
05-26-2018, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no problems at all with the carry on luggage except for the fact they had put me on a very small plane and the over head bins would not accept regulation size carry on luggage. I had to gate check the Ruggard Thunderhead 75
....and this is an important note for all of us with carry-on luggage with our valuable gear. Make sure even your carry-on will protect your cameras and lenses when itʻs tossed in with the heavy stuff and also possibly fall off a conveyor belt.

I had one situation where I had a camera crushed on a 30-minute flight. I had to prove to Delta that the camera was not crushed before the flight before they paid for damages.

I had another situation where my entire photo group of 20 had to check-in our carry on for a 20 minute flight, but then all the carry ons were off-loaded before take-off due to the plane being overweight. The carryons were then delivered the following day where one camera had sustained major damage and another bag had its content missing/stolen.

Also note that one of my students had paid the annual TSA-pre check program, but was forced into the non-TSA pre-check line because he was a minor and the adults were not given TSA-pre status. Maybe this is only an issue at certain airports. Mauiʻs Kahului airport is infamous for security delays and snafus and Iʻm sure we all know other airports with reputations. If traveling to Maui, get to the airport at least two hours in advance regardless if youʻre only flying inter-island or to the US mainland.

Glad Aslyfox had a good experience!!!
05-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
....and this is an important note for all of us with carry-on luggage with our valuable gear. Make sure even your carry-on will protect your cameras and lenses when itʻs tossed in with the heavy stuff and also possibly fall off a conveyor belt. . . . If traveling to Maui, get to the airport at least two hours in advance regardless if youʻre only flying inter-island or to the US mainland. . . .
regardless of air port

I recommend getting to it at least 2 hours before you need to be there

you never know what is going to happen and you can always wait patiently reading up on the latest photography gear/technique
05-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #27
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

regardless of air port

I recommend getting to it at least 2 hours before you need to be there

you never know what is going to happen and you can always wait patiently reading up on the latest photography gear/technique
I used to love flying....not any more!
The Size limitations that Alaska group are moving to also apply to The Amtrak trains that run up and down the East and West Coast like the Coast Starlight etc. The other trains allow larger carry ons and even larger. We always check those if possible on the long train trips. If I fly now I try to only have a carry on and computer/ now camera bag. So I don't fly much.
05-27-2018, 05:25 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I used to love flying....not any more!
The Size limitations that Alaska group are moving to also apply to The Amtrak trains that run up and down the East and West Coast like the Coast Starlight etc. The other trains allow larger carry ons and even larger. We always check those if possible on the long train trips. If I fly now I try to only have a carry on and computer/ now camera bag. So I don't fly much.

I don't have the ability to check on the size of the planes I am assigned to

or change if I get a plane with small carry on overhead bins

gate checking any carry on, especially one with expensive camera gear scares the hell out of me

it is covered by insurance but there is the deductible and

what do I do at the start of my trip with gear busted by placing the carrying on into the cargo hold

---------- Post added 05-27-18 at 07:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
....and this is an important note for all of us with carry-on luggage with our valuable gear. Make sure even your carry-on will protect your cameras and lenses when itʻs tossed in with the heavy stuff and also possibly fall off a conveyor belt.

I had one situation where I had a camera crushed on a 30-minute flight. I had to prove to Delta that the camera was not crushed before the flight before they paid for damages.

I had another situation where my entire photo group of 20 had to check-in our carry on for a 20 minute flight, but then all the carry ons were off-loaded before take-off due to the plane being overweight. The carryons were then delivered the following day where one camera had sustained major damage and another bag had its content missing/stolen.

Also note that one of my students had paid the annual TSA-pre check program, but was forced into the non-TSA pre-check line because he was a minor and the adults were not given TSA-pre status. Maybe this is only an issue at certain airports. Mauiʻs Kahului airport is infamous for security delays and snafus and Iʻm sure we all know other airports with reputations. If traveling to Maui, get to the airport at least two hours in advance regardless if youʻre only flying inter-island or to the US mainland.

Glad Aslyfox had a good experience!!!
perhaps we need to photograph our gear before going to the air port?

the EXIF date would show time and date?

what a pain
05-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

perhaps we need to photograph our gear before going to the air port?
the EXIF date would show time and date?
Fortunately, I used metadata from a photo taken earlier that day as evidence the camera and lens were working before the flight. If the damage is internal, thatʻs going to be more difficult to make a claim than if there is external physical damage.

However, if the damage had been minor or cosmetic, then shots of the gear (and the EXIF) before going to the airport would have helped to prove damage occurred. For rental cars, you can just make a diagram or drawing of pre-existing dents, dings, and scratches, and I suppose you could do the same with your own camera equipment, but youʻll probably get less of a delay in resolving the claim if you have photographic proof. Not too much of a pain with cell phones these days.
05-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I have the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. I take it on flights as a personal item (camera bag) and it fits under the seat in front of me on most flights with the exception of some smaller planes where it will go in the overhead due to plane size.