Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2008, 01:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Polarizer for 12-24mm f/4 lens

I recently purchased this lens and the 77mm Rodenstock polarizing filter that I have vignettes very noticeably at 12mm. The vignetting goes away if I zoom into 14mm (never noticed it either on the DA 14mm I used to have). Does anyone have any recommendations for a polarizing filter I can use on this lens that will not vignette? Thanks in advance.

09-06-2008, 03:34 AM   #2

I have a B&W slim circular polarizer on my 12-24 that seems to work well so far. Caveat, today was the first day of using it.
09-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I got this 77mm Hoya PRO1 Digital Circular PL. Not seen any vignetting yet even with this Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm. However, I only have this PL filter for this lense atm. so perhaps stacking more filters would reveal some vignetting.
09-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
I recently purchased this lens and the 77mm Rodenstock polarizing filter that I have vignettes very noticeably at 12mm. The vignetting goes away if I zoom into 14mm (never noticed it either on the DA 14mm I used to have). Does anyone have any recommendations for a polarizing filter I can use on this lens that will not vignette? Thanks in advance.
According to the Pentax lens booklet, even the slim Pentax polarizers will vignette when the 12-24 is wider than 15mm. The only option would be to get a 77-82 step-up ring and an 82mm filter.

09-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmmm, that's interesting. I just got (as of three weeks ago) my new DA12-24 and still looking for a polarizer for it. Now that you guys tell me that even with thing ringed polarizers it will vignette, leaves me thinking a bit.

Can someone post some examples of this vignetting, telling of course what kind of polarizer was used?

Robert B.
09-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Here is a quick rough example of the vignetting that is seen through both the viewfinder and ultimately the picture. I think it may be because its not the thin kind of polarizer made for wide angle lenses as the rim on this one is thick enough that the lens cap snaps right on to it. Hopefully I don't have to get a bigger filter than 77mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I use a Hoya Pro 1 D on my Sigma 10-20, no vignetting.....your other option is to go with something like the Cokin system, personally think it's a bit cumbersome for using a polariser though as I prefer the screw-in type

simon

09-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Hoya HMC SUPER 77mm PL on my Sigma 10-20 and DA* 16-50 and have not noticed any significant/disturbing vignetting. This PL is of slim type. Note that the wide lenses always vignet to some degree even without filters.

Here is an example with Sigma at 10mm using the Hoya PL:

09-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Great. Looks like I'll head to the camera store and ask for a B+W and/or Hoya polarizer and test it out before hand. Thanks everyone.
09-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
Here is a quick rough example of the vignetting that is seen through both the viewfinder and ultimately the picture. I think it may be because its not the thin kind of polarizer made for wide angle lenses as the rim on this one is thick enough that the lens cap snaps right on to it. Hopefully I don't have to get a bigger filter than 77mm
Thanks for this image. Now I am definetely looking for a thin type polarizer that can be used with my DA12-24. Of course, I could use it with my FA*200/2.8, but really never had the urge for a polarizer for it.

RB
09-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #11

Original Poster
Update

Headed over to a local camera store to see if they had any polarizers that would work for this lens and sure enough, the B + W slim mount multi-coated polarizer worked wonderfully. No vignetting and great build. It also came with a special lens cap that just slips over the filter for protection since the regular Pentax lens cap can't snap on to the rim.