Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sound when turning filter thread

Recently I purchased a UV & Haze filter. I put it on Sigma 180mm macro. When I turn the filter it makes rather loud noise. Filter is not tight, it went in smoothly but made rather loud noise. Its makes similar sound during unscrewing. Will this damage the thread of lens? Should I return the filter?

04-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check that the filter threads on the lens and filter do not have dirt in them or burrs (where the filter thread has been unevenly cut).

Try them on another lens if you can.

Regards

Chris
04-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the noise you're hearing a loud "squeaking" or "scraping" sound? If it's a "squeaking" sound, this is quite normal with many filters and lenses, and not something to worry about unduly. If it's a "scraping" sound, it could be that there are bits of abrasive material on the threads of the filter or lens, or that the threads of the filter are badly cut. Try cleaning those threads with a lightly-moistened cotton bud to see if that helps.

So long as the filter attaches and removes from the lens without much effort, there's very little chance of either being damaged. If you have to put some strength into it, though, there's a problem - most likely with the filter, since most lenses are very consistent in the threading.
04-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As @seventhdr noted it is BURR sound. I do not have any other lens of size 72mm. But I have couple of 72mm filters, and none of them make that sound.
I will clean the thread using alcohol and then try.

04-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could even be some uneven paint grinding off. If you find a burr you may be able to knock it off with a knife or small file.
04-11-2018, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Toothbrush

I like a stiff bristle toothbrush for getting to the bottom of threads. Toothbrush wont damage threads and does a good job. First make sure its very clean.
04-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wiped using alcohol and that did not help. I will try with tooth brush. Great idea

04-17-2018, 05:05 AM   #8

Common problem, simply dry threads. Apply a very tiny amount of Vaseline to the filter thread, screw it onto the lens then remove it and wipe off any excess from the filter and the lens thread. Enough lubricant will remain at the bottom of the threads to prevent the noise and make fitting and removal much easier.
04-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After cleaning with tooth brush sound reduced substantially. Thanks for the Vaseline idea, i will try.
04-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
After cleaning with tooth brush sound reduced substantially. Thanks for the Vaseline idea, i will try.
Another good option that I've used before is to take a reasonably soft pencil (a 2B or similar), and "draw" along the outer edge and inner surface of the filter thread in question. It provides enough lubrication to stop jamming of stacked filters, so it might work for your noisy filter too