Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 12:24 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Keep an eye on your Siruir Ball head when using it

Not soo long ago I was using my Sirui ball head ( the model I was using is their mid size) while in use I had the head fall apart as I was mounting my camera to it. After getting back to the house I had found that the base plate that attaches to the tripod had pulled away from the main body of the head.

Here is the main body of the head minus the baseplate that attaches to the tripod ( ignore that I have removed the quick release from the ball)

Here you are looking at the bottom of the main body where there are 3 screw holes that has had the screws pulled out stripping the threads. For me these screws are way too small for what this head is rated for as a load capacity.

I also own the smaller Siruir head K-10x and it has the very same size of screws that are found in its big brother K-20X ( I thinks its called K-20x as I have lost the base plate with the produce ID) **** found the box and its model number was the K-30X and not the k-20x********
If you are interested you can see the size of the screws by spinning the base plate around till the access hole aligns with the screws location,

For me I have forgo using the smaller head and only use it on a tripod that is used to hold attachments like flash and or other lighting

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 04-14-2018 at 09:02 PM.
04-14-2018, 02:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoa, that's a rather unpleasant surprise, Ian, but also luck that nothing happened to your camera and lens. Definitely thanks for the warning.

I generally hold Sirui products in fairly high regard, but that design doesn't look exactly trust-inspiring to me, I must say. Personally using a slightly heavier Rollei T3S ball head, which so far has not given me any reason to complain (and therefore, to take it apart).
04-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #3

Wow, that is fortunate your camera and lens came away unscathed. Thanks for posting -- I was considering one of these as a secondary setup but think I will research a little more ....
04-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is indeed frightening! I use the K20X with my K3, 300 F4 lens. The failure did occur on a K20X? It looks different from the one I have.
What do I look for, if there is a potential problem? I am not good at taking things apart, so is there anything to look for, from the outside?

Curious if you have contacted Sirui; I'm sure they would want to know about this, and may even repair yours for free.

Last edited by csa; 04-14-2018 at 09:57 AM.
04-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lenses and camera combos where you using on it? Wondering how much weight you have had on it. I use a Sirui with my K3II and 150-450 on a regular basis.
04-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird and scary. I guess all I can do is hope it never happens to me, although none of my Sirui heads are big enough to use with more than kit lenses,
04-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have read reports of that kind of thing happening*, but not with Sirui product. I would contact them with the evidence. Let us know the outcome.

Steve

* Actually had a similar degradation with a Giottos head, but not to the point of actual failure (REVIEW with details)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-14-2018 at 08:41 AM.
04-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I should consider swapping out the small ballhead that came with my Sirui tripod

04-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Connection between ball-head and tripod is different here. Usually tripod will have a one thick screw in the middle and ball-head gets screwed on to it. In this tripod I do not see middle screw, and 3 screws on the periphery look thin. Good that it broke when you were around . I would send the pictures to their customer support, just so that they are aware of the quality.
04-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have the Sirui K-20X ball and have never had any problems with it. I also have two Sirui tripods, and no problem with them either.
04-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
In this tripod I do not see middle screw, and 3 screws on the periphery look thin.
That is because the bottom part (base) is still attached to the legs!

Steve
04-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is because the bottom part (base) is still attached to the legs!

Steve
Ok. that means ball-head has two parts and they are connected by these 3 screws.
04-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
I generally hold Sirui products in fairly high regard, but that design doesn't look exactly trust-inspiring to me, I must say. Personally using a slightly heavier Rollei T3S ball head, which so far has not given me any reason to complain (and therefore, to take it apart).
I felt the same way you did, in the store the head felt as if it was well built and sturdy with smooth action dampening. But to me that is a design flaw here you can scale the size of the screws against a 0.5mm leaded pencil

This just don't inspire confidence in the head

---------- Post added 04-14-2018 at 04:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I am not good at taking things apart, so is there anything to look for, from the outside?
This is the 10x model, here you can see how you get access to the screws under the bottom plate

you rotate the base plate until it aligns with the screw.
Leading up to the failure there was no indication that there was any play in the head it was as if the head pulled out and stripped the threads
This is only guessing as to why they failed but they could have over torqued the screw when it was put together as the threads are very fine and can easily stripped in the aluminum body but to me the size of the screws are too small for their intended application

---------- Post added 04-14-2018 at 04:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
What lenses and camera combos where you using on it? Wondering how much weight you have had on it. I use a Sirui with my K3II and 150-450 on a regular basis.
It was my landscape setup and at the time I was using D800 and nikor 50 1.8 g something that I would not consider as large

---------- Post added 04-14-2018 at 04:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have read reports of that kind of thing happening*, but not with Sirui product. I would contact them with the evidence. Let us know the outcome.
What I find scary is that there is different companies that use the very same design with their logo on it without know for sure I would name them as I have not taken apart their heads but when looking closely to them they look very similar.

I was replacing my aging Manfrotto head that are over 10 years old I felt that the Suriu as a step up to the my old heads they felt smoother and built to a higher standard but this is a under designed issue. I also wanted a head that could be taken apart and cleaned when needed and after looking at the Suriu they are not the easiest to take apart and clean the plastic guides around the ball.

Because its a design issue that its under built I really don't want it too be fixed or replaced as I don't want to risk it, I defiantly done want to sell the fixed or replaced head to someone else. I may drop them a email with photos of the problem when I get sometime. I chalk it up to experience and besides I have used parts of the quick release for an extension to better balance a heaver lens and camera over a ball head

I broke down and bought a acratech ball head

I personally would not use this head with a large lens and camera and would never ever use it as a gimbal head placing any load off to the side of the head as they are designed to do as a cheap gimbal alternative.

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 04-14-2018 at 04:31 PM.
04-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I broke down and bought a acratech ball head

Steve
04-14-2018, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

To be fair, I see no reason why these screws wouldn't be strong enough to do the job. They are not subjected to a lot of shear forces, and screws are actually pretty strong.

My goal is not to talk up or down any brand. I think failures happen with any product. I would certainly contact Sirui, their 6-years warranty ought to cover this.