Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

AF-360FGZ on K20D Slow Shutter Speed in Av Mode

While shooting with the external flash with a zoom lens in Av mode, the camera selects the shutter speed; this depends on the focal length of the lens. While shooting at a 55mm focal length, the camera selects a shutter speed of 1/60 (regardless of aperture). However, if I zoom out to a focal length of 18 or 20mm, the camera selects a shutter speed of only 1/30! This is too slow and often results in blurry photos. I have also trying using the external flash with shutter priority and a faster shutter speed, but this pushes the aperture down to minimum and thus I lose depth of field and sharpness. Has any one encountered this problem? Any suggestions appreciated.

09-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #2

I experience the same problem with K10D.

the way I understand it, the shutter speed was chosen based on the ambient light.
try to shoot in Av and compare the shutter speed number with camera turned On and Off.
In my experience, I got the same shutter speed number.
(as if the camera does not know that I use a flash).

My workaround is to shoot in Manual or TAv and spending some time to find a good combination of Shutter, Aperture and ISO number.
09-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply.

I tried using Av mode with the flash turned on and off, and it definitely makes a difference - in darker lighting the shutter speed required for proper exposure becomes very long with the flash off. With the flash on, I still run into the same issue: shutter speed of 1/60th at 50mm focal length, down to 1/30th at 20 mm. So the camera is reading the flash unit - it's just that the shutter speeds being selected are too slow!
09-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Forum Member

Have you tried changing the EV compensation? Or try in M mode and just choose the shutter speed you want and a wider aperture... see how that comes out. Make sure you flash is not set to slow sync, either on the flash or in the camera. And last one, try in M mode in camera and M mode in flash and set the power to 1/1, full blast then work the flash strength accordingly...