Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yikes again. That's a bit terrifying regardless of cause.
Even still... I just do not trust the Optech design (the fasteners specifically) but that's just my personal opinion/suspicion, not from experience. I've used a BlackRapid sling for nearly 10 years locally and around the world. I rigged a similar "safety" to it (which I use some of the time for very active shooting) using an available lug and a similar thin buckle and webbing strap as the Optech, but this is only because there is a single point of failure on the BlackRapid, namely the tripod socket. Even so, I've attached a hefty 67 to it for multiple gigs and the fastener has never loosened in the socket. I couple that with the fact that the attachment points are 100% metal with a carabiner-style lock - gives me much more confidence that thin portions of stitch-reinforced vinyl webbing. YMMV
I think it is wise to minimize fabric to metal contact

Op/tech USA actually sells an accessary rubber like part that is designed to be put through the metal attachment ring and you can then attach the fabric loop to that.

Adapt-Its - System Connectors for Swivel Connections | OP/TECH USA

after the incident, they sent me a couple free

I have always found the quick release clip quite hard to release so I am not too worry about that, especially since my back up emergency set up is in place all the time

and Op/Tech USA does sell an item to " lock " the quick release system if you want to

" The Secure-Its offers peace of mind for photographers using camera straps with quick disconnects. The easy-to-attach hook and loop tab loops around a quick disconnect and secures tightly. "

https://optechusa.com/secure-its.html

04-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Peak Design is an excellent sling - I use it on my 645Z, attached via both tripod plates.

My black K-1 travels with a Black Rapid, which is part of a double harness for when I shoot events with two bodies. I could never get the PD Sling to sit really comfortably with the K-1, but I still use PD clip to connect a short back-up tether in case the BR sling unscrews itself from the tripod socket. It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard horror stories....

My silver K-1 still hangs on the ONA Presidio strap it was supplied with. It's a very elegant black canvas and brown leather affair, and is plenty long enough to be used as a shoulder sling. Just looking at the C.R. Kennedy website though, what few stacks now remain are supplied with the standard O-ST162 strap
04-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The Peak Design is an excellent sling . . . My black K-1 travels with a Black Rapid, . . .My silver K-1 still hangs on the ONA Presidio strap it was supplied with. . . . (
lots of options to choose from for sure

which is best

well, that is why we have discussions

I, for one, am not going to spend the money to get alternative systems to make my own evaluation
04-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The Peak Design is an excellent sling - I use it on my 645Z, attached via both tripod plates.

My black K-1 travels with a Black Rapid, which is part of a double harness for when I shoot events with two bodies. I could never get the PD Sling to sit really comfortably with the K-1, but I still use PD clip to connect a short back-up tether in case the BR sling unscrews itself from the tripod socket. It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard horror stories....

My silver K-1 still hangs on the ONA Presidio strap it was supplied with. It's a very elegant black canvas and brown leather affair, and is plenty long enough to be used as a shoulder sling. Just looking at the C.R. Kennedy website though, what few stacks now remain are supplied with the standard O-ST162 strap
I use Peak Design Slide Pro (overkill strap) with K-1 and dual connectors attached to the traditional lugs. I have yet to figure out how to rig a secure backup that would catch the camera if a connector string loop parted.

04-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have yet to figure out how to rig a secure backup that would catch the camera if a connector string loop parted.
The fact that there are already two attachment points already gives some backup. If one fails the strap will start to slide, but will at least give you time to react. With a single attachment point like the tripod screw on the Black Rapid you don't have that luxury.
04-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Thanks guys. I decided to go and check out the Peak Design Slide Summit Edition. it appears the locking mechanism is really stiff and has lots of force to push open, which is a relief. I am keeping the strap.
I have 4 Peak Design straps. One for each camera. I do like the straps. The connections are very secure and can be disconnected when needed.
04-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

It seems to me, people choose the product from the companies/brand in their country
In europe, Sun Sniper is more common.