Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A strap like Black Rapid and Peak Design but without release buckles/clips

Hey. I am looking for a new strap. I am interested in the Peak Design Slide Summit Edition. However it contains release clips. I am looking for a strap long enough like it so that I can carry my camera sling style but without any form of release. In other words, I am interested in a strap that is a longer variant of the one that comes with the camera. I am kind of picky on design as well, I am looking for something attractive and not ugly. Thanks!

04-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What’s wrong with BlackRapid? No release buckles, I like mine.
04-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With Black Rapid and Sun Siper you can use quick release plates, but you don't have to.
Tipp: Sun-Sniper Kamera Gurt und Stativ - kein lästiges Schrauben mehr! - gwegner.de
04-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Hey. I am looking for a new strap. I am interested in the Peak Design Slide Summit Edition. However it contains release clips. I am looking for a strap long enough like it so that I can carry my camera sling style but without any form of release. In other words, I am interested in a strap that is a longer variant of the one that comes with the camera. I am kind of picky on design as well, I am looking for something attractive and not ugly. Thanks!
I always worry the massive clips on my Peak Design Slide will scratch the LCD while in the camera bag, so I detach it and carry it in a pocket of the bag.

Which means it is never on the camera,

Some day I’ll drop the camera and scratch the LCD.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-25-2018 at 10:08 AM.
04-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you like leather straps, check out the straps at buffalojackson.com.
04-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ttedders Quote
If you like leather straps, check out the straps at buffalojackson.com.
I didn't see any straps, except those that came with briefcases.

Edit: I did a search, and it appears there's only one camera strap.

https://buffalojackson.com/dslr-camera-strap.html
04-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gordy’s Adjustable Neck Straps They have quick disconnect lug clips and leather body bumpers..

Joby Sling Strap has a nylon slide adjuster and HD rings, so probably not what you want. I use their leather wrist straps with GR and MX-1

Last edited by monochrome; 04-23-2018 at 05:05 PM.
04-24-2018, 02:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I'm increasingly of the opinion that making my own is the way to go and it's surprisingly easier than I thought. I've made a coupe wrist straps using paracord weaves that are far more attractive AND functional than any of the small collection I'd amassed over the years. I'm going to graduate to a full sling strap when time permits. But many don't have the patience for this... and that being the case, there are many options out there available that are (IMHO) better than many commercially available straps. Lance is one of those.... have a peek.

Lance Camera Straps | Handmade in the USA

Many options available, some that would seem to check your boxes.

---------- Post added 04-24-18 at 02:11 AM ----------

I should add (as you'll likely see) you can order custom lengths from Lance Straps.
04-24-2018, 03:30 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently had an experience that taught me two things

prepare a back up emergency system

and

use it.

I did the first step but did not fully engage it when the fabric connector securing my quick release strap on my Optech USA ultility sling failed and my K 3 + DA * 300mnm lens fell from my hip and hit the side walk.

now I modified my back up emergency system which is now designed so it is always fully engaged.

I start with the Op/tech USA utility sling, the UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate and Joby Camera Safety Tether

Camera Hand Strap | Ultra Fit Hand Strap With Ultra Plate

Camera Safety tether for backup protection

I take the string section of the tether and feed it between the plastic female quick release and the strap and then feed the attached d ring through the loop

I attach the d ring ( metal ) to the metal split ring upper right attachment point of the camera body

I attach the uni loop male attachment of the sling not to the split ring but to the hand grip which is affixed to the camera body at the same upper attachment point and the tripod mount on the bottom

result, hand grip is tight to camera, sling via uni loop connected to hand grip and tether connected to camera and sling

best thing about this is that you set it up once and forget

all safety systems are a go

only draw back is I cannot quickly detach sling, and must remove d ring from split ring to do so

so the camera and lens is held by the sling and is attached to the sling not only by the sling's quick release system connected to the hand grip but also by the separate safety tether attached to the metal attachment point of the camera by a metal D ring
04-25-2018, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I decided to go and check out the Peak Design Slide Summit Edition. it appears the locking mechanism is really stiff and has lots of force to push open, which is a relief. I am keeping the strap.
04-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I
I did the first step but did not fully engage it when the fabric connector securing my quick release strap on my Optech USA ultility sling failed and my K 3 + DA * 300mnm lens fell from my hip and hit the side walk.
I received an Optech strap with a used camera purchase. Never liked the look of their quick connects. I use it occasionally with a TLR that I rarely take out, but honestly I don't trust those tiny little thing... for this reason above. Stitching and plastic does not a secure strap-fitting make.
04-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I received an Optech strap with a used camera purchase. Never liked the look of their quick connects. I use it occasionally with a TLR that I rarely take out, but honestly I don't trust those tiny little thing... for this reason above. Stitching and plastic does not a secure strap-fitting make.
the part that failed was the fabric, not the release part

it was cut by a sharp edge on the triangle shaped split ring attached to the upper camera support

now I have metal to metal there and the fabric part of the quick release part does not touch metal

I didn't inspect the connection as I should have

I trust the Op/tech USA system
04-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

the part that failed was the fabric, not the release part

it was cut by a sharp edge on the triangle shaped split ring attached to the upper camera support
Yikes. By "fabric" you mean the thin portion of nylon webbing that is woven to to buckle portion?
That must have been some sharp edge.
04-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yikes. By "fabric" you mean the thin portion of nylon webbing that is woven to to buckle portion?
That must have been some sharp edge.
that is the part that parted

the funny thing is that I was acting as a docent at the zoo and talking to a young family when it happened

I asked the dad if I said anything inappropriate when it happened

he said no

I guess I thought something different than what I verbalized

if you know what I mean

_________

for any one interested, the thread discussing the incident can be found here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/362093-...ml#post4226000

photos posted there show the damage and the part that parted
04-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

that is the part that parted

the funny thing is that I was acting as a docent at the zoo and talking to a young family when it happened

I asked the dad if I said anything inappropriate when it happened

he said no

I guess I thought something different than what I verbalized

if you know what I mean

_________

for any one interested, the thread discussing the incident can be found here:

I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

photos posted there show the damage and the part that parted
Yikes again. That's a bit terrifying regardless of cause.
Even still... I just do not trust the Optech design (the fasteners specifically) but that's just my personal opinion/suspicion, not from experience. I've used a BlackRapid sling for nearly 10 years locally and around the world. I rigged a similar "safety" to it (which I use some of the time for very active shooting) using an available lug and a similar thin buckle and webbing strap as the Optech, but this is only because there is a single point of failure on the BlackRapid, namely the tripod socket. Even so, I've attached a hefty 67 to it for multiple gigs and the fastener has never loosened in the socket. I couple that with the fact that the attachment points are 100% metal with a carabiner-style lock - gives me much more confidence that thin portions of stitch-reinforced vinyl webbing. YMMV