Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

sensor cleaning air blower for travel

Does anyone have a fairly compact air blower they travel (by air) with? Up until now I've (barely, often with explanations required) dodged the security bullet with my medium Rocket Blower, but it would be better to have something that doesn't look exactly like either an RPG or a grenade. The Rocket Blowers does definitely draw a lot of unwanted attention and there have always been reports of them being confiscated, so I'd like something that won't look the least bit confusing and preferably be a little smaller.

04-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The Rocket Blowers does definitely draw a lot of unwanted attention and there have always been reports of them being confiscated
That is interesting, I would never have thought it was an issue. I've flown dozens of times with my rocket blower in my carry on and never had anyone say a word. Maybe I need to pay more attention, sure would not any issues at security.
04-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #3

I have the one from this kit: amazon.com: Altura Photo Professional Cleaning Kit for DSLR Cameras and Sensitive Electronics Bundle with Refillable Spray Bottle: Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Never had anyone ask me to remove it from my carry on, or even blink an eye. It's all rubber and plastic so it won't show up on any X-rays... And even if they did spot it, I have a hard time imaging they would confiscate it; it's obvious that it just blows air.

Perhaps there's some other model of air blower that I'm not aware of?
04-29-2018, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can squeeze the air out, fold it over itself, and put a strong rubber band around the resulting small package. I have the large Giotto, and I just tried it. The result is quite small, and no longer bulbous.

04-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoodworth Quote
I have the one from this kit: amazon.com: Altura Photo Professional Cleaning Kit for DSLR Cameras and Sensitive Electronics Bundle with Refillable Spray Bottle: Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Never had anyone ask me to remove it from my carry on, or even blink an eye. It's all rubber and plastic so it won't show up on any X-rays... And even if they did spot it, I have a hard time imaging they would confiscate it; it's obvious that it just blows air.

Perhaps there's some other model of air blower that I'm not aware of?
A quick search will turn up lots of instances of Rocket Blowers being confiscated. I've had the TSA become alarmed at mine such that now I take it out of the carry-on and hand it to them, but I think it just depends on luck if you get to keep it.

---------- Post added 04-29-2018 at 06:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
You can squeeze the air out, fold it over itself, and put a strong rubber band around the resulting small package. I have the large Giotto, and I just tried it. The result is quite small, and no longer bulbous.
Interesting! I had never thought of that. I think that might be at least a partial solution. Maybe I'll try that next week.
04-30-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried it for sensor cleaning, but I used to use a baby ear syringe for blowing dust off my camera and lenses back in the film days. It won't be as forceful as a Rocket Blower, but it might work. They're cheap so it might be worth checking out. This one is similar to what I have: Amsino Disposable Non-sterile Bulb Syringe